MY19 LEVO brakes replacement - motor removal?

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
Anyone replaced their brakes and can tell me what's involved technically?
My LBS insists it requires removal of the motor, and doing it myself would void warranty.
what's your experience? do you really need to remove the motor of a simple hose replacement? (i didn't see such action mentioned in the retailer tech manual posted here)

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
Is pretty easy and you don't need to remove the motor.

- unbolt the lever and the little clip thing where the line exits the top of the frame
- unbolt the rear brake and the 2 line clips
- unscrew the brake line from the caliper and cut off the ferrule and remove the nut
- insert a 1" nail slightly larger than the brake line ID into the brake line approx. 1/2", insert the other 1/2" of the nail into new brake line
- pull the brake line from near the motor area where it exits the back frame section whilst pushing the new line at the same time. pull all the new line through to this area
- remove shock
- remove the 2 line clamps in the frame near the shock area
- pull the line from the top where it exits the frame whilst pushing the new line into the frame near the motor area. push and pull at the same speed
- keep doing this until the new line exits the top frame area
- install line clamps, ferrule, bleed brakes etc

critical you pick a nail with a larger OD than the brake line ID so it stays in there. Also push/pull at the same speed, pull too quick and you will pull the nail joint apart

Reactions: Lee

silverstone

May 20, 2019
Switzerland
I swapped my brake hoes without ANY special handling... Just pulled the old one out, and pushed the new one in.
I just had to remove the shock, so I could loosen the plastic cover behind for the alloy frame.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i used same as Karsten but there is a tube which routes the cable over the motor.
pulling through using the rockshock barb was simple, that's what its designed for

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
I just switched out the Code R's to Saints on Saturday and it couldn't have been easier. No need to remove the motor as the tube the rear hose runs through comes out right by the motor. Just push the new hose up the tube by the motor to out at the head tube.

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
so to update, i left the bike (brand new) with the shop to change the brakes (went xt8120 instead of guides). they claim they removed the motor for this.
i got the bike back with both small cable clips near the shock loose (bolts not tight, moving freely) and the larger piece didn't even have it's bolt on the bike, they forgot to reinstall it, cables were twisted.
god knows what they did with the motor or how and if they have re-fitted it properly.
this is the shop that told me not to replace the brakes by myself as it might fault safety and warranty... (this is where I bought the bike, brand new)

so, not trusting the shop's work, which parts can be opened/maintained by the user without risking warranty? I'd like to go over all bolts and cables in the motor housing to be sure all is right and tight.
is that allowed at user level?

sweet look and feel to those xt's though :)
thanks all

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
so to update, i left the bike (brand new) with the shop to change the brakes (went xt8120 instead of guides). they claim they removed the motor for this.
i got the bike back with both small cable clips near the shock loose (bolts not tight, moving freely) and the larger piece didn't even have it's bolt on the bike, they forgot to reinstall it, cables were twisted.
god knows what they did with the motor or how and if they have re-fitted it properly.
this is the shop that told me not to replace the brakes by myself as it might fault safety and warranty... (this is where I bought the bike, brand new)

so, not trusting the shop's work, which parts can be opened/maintained by the user without risking warranty? I'd like to go over all bolts and cables in the motor housing to be sure all is right and tight.
is that allowed at user level?

sweet look and feel to those xt's though :)
thanks all

Im struggling to to think why any of it would void the warranty. You only have to watch Robs videos with Berkshire Bikes. Specialized want the user to have more involvement with the bike on a maintenance level.

You should have done it yourself as it seems your LBS hasnt got a clue.

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
Im struggling to to think why any of it would void the warranty. You only have to watch Robs videos with Berkshire Bikes. Specialized want the user to have more involvement with the bike on a maintenance level.

You should have done it yourself as it seems your LBS hasnt got a clue.
couldn't agree with you more regarding the LBS.
but still - if its not in the manual - you are not supposed/allowed to do it (that's my school anyway).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles