My wife fancies a Cube 140 are they good bikes?

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
I got my cube from j.e.james, they have a branch in Rotherham which is somewhere near you, just depends how hi up you are
They do price matching & 0% finance
So I found you find it cheaper elsewhere they will match it
Also very friendly people ?

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
This is at j e James
IMG_0430.PNG
the spec on this is far better than any spesh bike unless you spend silly money

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
I know you didn't need the big travel, but why not have when it's this cheap
When you see this bike in the flesh you will see why we buy cube
I'm sure it's got 36mm fox forks.......how much would you need to spend on a spesh to get them....
VALUE FOR MONEY
spare battery about £600...... no brainer

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I know you didn't need the big travel, but why not have when it's this cheap
When you see this bike in the flesh you will see why we buy cube
I'm sure it's got 36mm fox forks.......how much would you need to spend on a spesh to get them....
VALUE FOR MONEY
spare battery about £600...... no brainer

Hi Mark thanks for this :) Rotherham is south of us but not that long a drive is there much difference between the 2018 and 2019 bikes I wonder, I know what you mean about the spesh pricing after looking at Cube last night we both love how they look the only thing is Linda has the Bosch in her 2016 Haibike and she says when it disengages there is noticeable resistance so I wonder whether this is the same motor or a slightly upgraded one. Also the video Rob did on here when he tested one that motor was pretty noisy!

I would much rather pay around the £4000 mark than £6500 for the spesh! It's just whether the Cube is a good enough upgrade on her Haibike, she wants the integrated battery as she thinks they look so much better, I am picking up my first one this week it's a Trance E + 2 so she will have a go on that no doubt

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
I've own an older Bosch motor from a Reaction hardtail from 2016 and now own a 140 tm from 2018, both motors were identical, but the new bike has the integrated style battery.

I would suggest looking at the derestricting options if the "drag" is a concern, it doesn't do anything crazy to the motor, it simply doesn't stop giving assistance at the 15.5mph cutoff, so you can ride at 18mph with ease (my cruising speed).

I'd say that the biggest upgrade would come from revised geometry compared to the Haibike, rather than different power tech.

The 2018/19 models are identical geometry wise, just different paint jobs and *maybe some different specs on forks etc, but from what I remember there is barely anything in it, sometimes a switch from Rockshox to Fox or something similar.

Spart

Jan 15, 2019
Australia
I’m taking a 140 race for a trial on Wednesday. Will be my first Ebike so really looking forward to it. It was a toss up between that and the Merida e160 800 but the cube looks so much better and similar specs from what I’m told.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I've own an older Bosch motor from a Reaction hardtail from 2016 and now own a 140 tm from 2018, both motors were identical, but the new bike has the integrated style battery.

I would suggest looking at the derestricting options if the "drag" is a concern, it doesn't do anything crazy to the motor, it simply doesn't stop giving assistance at the 15.5mph cutoff, so you can ride at 18mph with ease (my cruising speed).

I'd say that the biggest upgrade would come from revised geometry compared to the Haibike, rather than different power tech.

The 2018/19 models are identical geometry wise, just different paint jobs and *maybe some different specs on forks etc, but from what I remember there is barely anything in it, sometimes a switch from Rockshox to Fox or something similar.

Thanks for the reply so I wonder whether she will get a decent upgrade from her 2016 Haibike, she would love the integrated battery on the Cube but is the geometry that different for her to notice hmnn :)

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Thanks for the reply so I wonder whether she will get a decent upgrade from her 2016 Haibike, she would love the integrated battery on the Cube but is the geometry that different for her to notice hmnn :)
I'd suggest the biggest differences would be going from hardtail to full sus, the battery placement and style i think is more aesthetic than performance based, so maybe look at the Trek bikes, they use the Bosh motor AND they use the OLD battery, but they've integrated it into the tube.. it looks almost flush, then you could use the old battery for added range. *same goes for Moustache bikes, they call it "hidden power" its the old style battery but far more integrated into the downtube.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I'd suggest the biggest differences would be going from hardtail to full sus, the battery placement and style i think is more aesthetic than performance based, so maybe look at the Trek bikes, they use the Bosh motor AND they use the OLD battery, but they've integrated it into the tube.. it looks almost flush, then you could use the old battery for added range. *same goes for Moustache bikes, they call it "hidden power" its the old style battery but far more integrated into the downtube.

Hers is a full suspension as it is, I didn't realise that Trek use the old battery in that tube that's clever :) her issue is that she just worries about range as she doesn't want to pedal that heavy bike without assistance :) why doesn't anyone else do a concealed 700wh like Specialized do as that's the battery she wants :) maybe other companies will follow suit with that battery.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
I think the price for developing that extra 200w is negated by people buying a 2nd battery for bikes with smaller 500w batteries, its just not worth it, its a great selling point in a high end bike though.

I'd look at the powerfly and samedi if you want the range, you'd have 500w with the new bike, and i assume 400/500w battery from the haibike, giving a total of 900w/1000w and those batteries i know from experience are much lighter and less than half the length of the spesh battery, super easy to pack in a bag, no range anxiety

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I think the price for developing that extra 200w is negated by people buying a 2nd battery for bikes with smaller 500w batteries, its just not worth it, its a great selling point in a high end bike though.

I'd look at the powerfly and samedi if you want the range, you'd have 500w with the new bike, and i assume 400/500w battery from the haibike, giving a total of 900w/1000w and those batteries i know from experience are much lighter and less than half the length of the spesh battery, super easy to pack in a bag, no range anxiety

Thanks so much for your help I am just about to pop into the Cube shop just to look as the last time I looked at these 3 years ago they looked nothing like they do now :) also she won't have a spare battery as that will be sold if she sells the Haibike.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I think most have been said here already, but I can vouch for cube being great quality and extremely good value for money. Whether or not you go for a higher spec (1. Action Team, 2. TM, 3. SL , 4. Race) depends a lot on how demanding and sensitive you are to improvements. (There is about 500€ between each step)

As in most things, the more expensive it gets you get diminishing returns, but in cube you get very much for your money with each step.

Personally, I think the 140 TM is one of the best specs out there of any brand, but with any cube bike you get good value for money.

Finally, cube has in my opinion the most comfortable seating position of the brands I have tried (although not the most aggressive for very agile riders).

In terms of noise, it is true that Bosch is somewhat noisy, but cube is no more than any other bike with Bosch. I basically only think this is a problem if you ride cushy mud trails a lot, because if you ride on dry dirt roads or rocky trails, the noise from the tires will drown it out.

In summary, more than being about cube, this is more about if you like Bosch. Bosch is a great climber (the best in my opinion) but with the drawback of the internal drag over 25kmh. If you don’t do many fast straights, this is not a big deal. If you do, look at Shimano or Brose or Flyon (TQ).

Either way, I agree with the former post that the biggest change of any in terms of ebiking is hard tail to FS. In fact, when I am president of the world, I am going to ban hard tails (Surprisingly, no one has voted for me… :unsure:)

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I think most have been said here already, but I can vouch for cube being great quality and extremely good value for money. Whether or not you go for a higher spec (1. Action Team, 2. TM, 3. SL , 4. Race) depends a lot on how demanding and sensitive you are to improvements. (There is about 500€ between each step)

As in most things, the more expensive it gets you get diminishing returns, but in cube you get very much for your money with each step.

Personally, I think the 140 TM is one of the best specs out there of any brand, but with any cube bike you get good value for money.

Finally, cube has in my opinion the most comfortable seating position of the brands I have tried (although not the most aggressive for very agile riders).

In terms of noise, it is true that Bosch is somewhat noisy, but cube is no more than any other bike with Bosch. I basically only think this is a problem if you ride cushy mud trails a lot, because if you ride on dry dirt roads or rocky trails, the noise from the tires will drown it out.

In summary, more than being about cube, this is more about if you like Bosch. Bosch is a great climber (the best in my opinion) but with the drawback of the internal drag over 25kmh. If you don’t do many fast straights, this is not a big deal. If you do, look at Shimano or Brose or Flyon (TQ).

Either way, I agree with the former post that the biggest change of any in terms of ebiking is hard tail to FS. In fact, when I am president of the world, I am going to ban hard tails (Surprisingly, no one has voted for me… :unsure:)

Haha great post :) I just went into the Cube dealer in York a nice chap but he won't entertain any discounts at all :) I have just put a deposit down on the Trance E + 2 and he said in his opinion that Scott are 20% overpriced and he does sell them he also said the Yamaha motor is crap! Well that got me a bit as I have just put down a deposit on a Giant so now I am worried, he said in his opinion that Bosch ha e the best back up and warranty and he has been to the Cube factory and seen how it is set up and he said without a doubt if he was buying an e bike for himself and his wife it would be a Cube he said the quality is superb.

Now he has got me concerned about the Giant as I have only put a deposit down on it!

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
As far as I know, Giant are also very good bikes so I wouldn't worry. However, since they are Yamaha powered, the power delivery is less punchy. Personally I prefer Bosch but many people, especially better riders looking for a more natural (softer) power delivery love the Yamaha.

In terms of Cube, in my experience, Cube dealers give very low discounts (0-10%) because the bike is very competitvely price so there is little room for improvement. even so, a cool 0 is a bit stingy.

All in all, you should be fine with either, but if you have not tried the Yamaha, I would definitely do that before buying, it is a very different feel. it is generally considerd that Bossch has a very strong back up and warranty, I agree.

Last edited:

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Hi Andy , if Linda is bothered by the drag after 15mph, do what I did and de-restrict it
You can read about this in my "cube de-restricted " thread

How many miles & what type of riding does your mrs do ?
Because if she doesn't do anything extreme, you should easily get 30 - 35 miles in eco mode.....and by then you need a spare arse - not a spare battery ?

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
Thanks that's great I reckon a 160 would be overkill for her wouldn't it as we do rides from home which are on and off road and also we do full days on the north york moors with some tricky terrain but Linda isn't great on technical so maybe a 140 might be better but honestly we have just been looking at them and we love the styling :)

The Levo she likes is around £6500 which is miles too much but a Cube will save us a shed load of money but how noisy is that motor as I saw the video Rob did and it was quite noisy! We have a dealer in town as well :) I love that 160 that's grey and orange :)
I'd test ride it too see if you think the motor is too loud. I've ridden my other halfs cube acid Hardtail and didn't find the noise that bad and it's been a solid and reliable bike over the last year.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
he also said the Yamaha motor is crap!
So a guy who sells a different brand says your choice is crap? Who'da thunk it? :ROFLMAO:
The Yam motor has been updated recently and I'm fairly sure the Giants are using it.
If I were you, I'd find a different shop to get your wife's bike from if she's not interested in a Giant like yours.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
So a guy who sells a different brand says your choice is crap? Who'da thunk it? :ROFLMAO:
The Yam motor has been updated recently and I'm fairly sure the Giants are using it.
If I were you, I'd find a different shop to get your wife's bike from if she's not interested in a Giant like yours.

Haha that's what I thought and he was very cynical in general and how does he know what the new tweaked Giant motor is like and to just slag something off after only just meeting him summed him up :)

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hi Andy , if Linda is bothered by the drag after 15mph, do what I did and de-restrict it
You can read about this in my "cube de-restricted " thread

How many miles & what type of riding does your mrs do ?
Because if she doesn't do anything extreme, you should easily get 30 - 35 miles in eco mode.....and by then you need a spare arse - not a spare battery ?

Hi Mark that did make me laugh, I know this is a long shot but I bought an iQ from a watch forum member and he had just got a Cube ebike it's not you is it?

Andy

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
All the dealers say this motor or that motor is the best depending on what they sell, they all do the job and there isn't really a bad motor out there - the Yamaha in the Giant is customised, and quite different to the stock Yamaha motor. Its very good and you won't have be disappointed in it.

The Bosch is the longest serving of the current crop of Emtb motors, and if rumours are to be believed they are bringing out a new system for next year. IMO the noise isn't really an issue, but the most common complaint is the resistance when the assistance cuts out - from my experience the feel of this differs from brand to brand, as how they integrate the motor and the suspension design play a part in this too.

I like the Cubes, and if going down the Bosch route they would be where I would put my money,but personally for what she wants I would look at a canyon Neuron On, this is pretty much the perfect EMTB for the riders like your wife, and they also do a wmns model. It doesn't have the integrated battery though.:

neuron-on

Canyon doubles-down on E*POWAH - EMTB Forums

I also wouldn't go for one of the longer travel versions for her, as whilst you can apply the logic of having a motor, so why not, the reality is that for most uk riding, 130-150mm is fine, and in a lot of cases better for the riding we do, unless you really are hitting gnarly tracks and big jumps. Cube do a ladies range called the Sting:

https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/e-bikes/women/sting-ws/

I have a Vitus E-Sommett, running 180mm up front and 160mm at the back, and its a great bike, but for most of my riding in the Surrey Hills its overkill, and a lesser travel bike would be actually be better suited.

The main downside to the Bosch system is the weight of it, and when going with an integrated battery this adds weight too due to the reinforcement needed in the frame, so depending on your wife build this may be a factor.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
All the dealers say this motor or that motor is the best depending on what they sell, they all do the job and there isn't really a bad motor out there - the Yamaha in the Giant is customised, and quite different to the stock Yamaha motor. Its very good and you won't have be disappointed in it.

The Bosch is the longest serving of the current crop of Emtb motors, and if rumours are to be believed they are bringing out a new system for next year. IMO the noise isn't really an issue, but the most common complaint is the resistance when the assistance cuts out - from my experience the feel of this differs from brand to brand, as how they integrate the motor and the suspension design play a part in this too.

I like the Cubes, and if going down the Bosch route they would be where I would put my money,but personally for what she wants I would look at a canyon Neuron On, this is pretty much the perfect EMTB for the riders like your wife, and they also do a wmns model. It doesn't have the integrated battery though.:

neuron-on

Canyon doubles-down on E*POWAH - EMTB Forums

I also wouldn't go for one of the longer travel versions for her, as whilst you can apply the logic of having a motor, so why not, the reality is that for most uk riding, 130-150mm is fine, and in a lot of cases better for the riding we do, unless you really are hitting gnarly tracks and big jumps. Cube do a ladies range called the Sting:

https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/e-bikes/women/sting-ws/

I have a Vitus E-Sommett, running 180mm up front and 160mm at the back, and its a great bike, but for most of my riding in the Surrey Hills its overkill, and a lesser travel bike would be actually be better suited.

The main downside to the Bosch system is the weight of it, and when going with an integrated battery this adds weight too due to the reinforcement needed in the frame, so depending on your wife build this may be a factor.

Thanks you make some good points, she doesn't like the resistance on her Bosch motor and I agree there is no point in a long travel bike for her as we do a lot of riding from home which is a mixture of road and off road tracks but nothing taxing, we do get out with friends and do some north York moors epics which are nothing too demanding but there is a lot of climbing and plenty of rocky rubble filled tracks but very rideable :)

Linda only buys mens bikes and she wouldn't get a womens specific.

The Canyon is nice but she much prefers the frame integrated battery :)

The problem is she keeps going back to the Levo Expert due to that big 700wh battery and the way it looks!!!!!! She really does want the bigger battery and doesn't want the hassle of carrying a spare even though I offered to carry one :)

I haven't seen a Cube in the flesh but I really want to.

Jan 11, 2019
Thirsk
Thanks you make some good points, she doesn't like the resistance on her Bosch motor and I agree there is no point in a long travel bike for her as we do a lot of riding from home which is a mixture of road and off road tracks but nothing taxing, we do get out with friends and do some north York moors epics which are nothing too demanding but there is a lot of climbing and plenty of rocky rubble filled tracks but very rideable :)

The problem is she keeps going back to the Levo Expert due to that big 700wh battery and the way it looks!!!!!! She really does want the bigger battery and doesn't want the hassle of carrying a spare even though I offered to carry one :)

Hi mate
i have just ordered a cube from Suttonbank cycles their hire bikes are cube also so if your not to far from Sutton bank have a look there

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Then maybe another bike you should check out the new Norco Slight VLT, the mid range model is £5100, Shimano motor, 630wh battery in all but the base model. Only downside is battery is non removable, so has to be charged where it is stored.

Norco Sight C NX12 VLT 2019 Electric Mountain Bike | ELECTRIC MOUNTAIN BIKES | Evans Cycles

Norco introduces the Sight VLT, featuring a carbon frame and a 630 Wh battery | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Screenshot 2019-01-21 at 20.12.46.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles