My Specialized Levo eats chains

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
High Rock Ruti

Eats chains, yes that's my experience too, I've tried SRAM, Shimano and KTM, there is no appreciable difference, there are good chain reviews on the net, but my experience is around 750 miles for chains and cassettes and two derailleurs a year, mostly from sucking up sticks. I'll remind everyone again, Shimano will replace anything you send them for free, two weeks ago my buddy got a complete drive train, chain, cassette and derailleur (100% of the time), try it you'll like it.

Warm Regards

Ruti
? Shimano will replace anything you send them? That's news to me--sounds to good to be true.

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
I still haven't heard of any specific advantage of e bike chains. Avoiding hollow pin chains seems like a good idea to me. I'm just running basic SRAM chains. This test made it look like marketing bs.

I try to completely avoid shifting on the climbs, and just adjust my motor power to stay in the same gear sometimes. Steel chain ring and the more steel in the cassette the better. I put an e13 aluminum cassette on my first e bike and was shifting alot back then and it seemed like it was made of cheese. I've also read and heard good things about Absolute black Graphenlube but I haven't tried it yet.
Hells teeth, the price of that Graphenlube stuff! The initial lube is the price of a new chain! $$$$$$

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I installed a brand new drive train in February

The chain lasted 350KM before it hit 0.75%

Chain replaced. The next chain lasted 600KM until 0.75%. Assume due to (mostly) dry conditions and not using Turbo mode as much.

I use a chain cleaner after every ride then re lube. Every 4 rides I clean the cassette and chain ring with a Casette Brush and Ferwicks foaming cleaner.

How on Earth are people getting well over 1000 KM+ out of a chain before hitting 0.75% ? Only time I get that much out of a chain is when I'm intending to do a full drive train replacement on the next change and let it go well beyond 1%.

I'm using SRAM X1 chains. 11 Speed.

A typical ride is 50-60KM with 1500M of elevation averaging around 18KPH and approx 70% Trail Mode & 30% Turbo.

Turbo Levo Comp 2020

Last edited:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I installed a brand new drive train in February

The chain lasted 350KM before it hit 0.75%

Chain replaced. The next chain lasted 600KM until 0.75%. Assume due to (mostly) dry conditions and not using Turbo mode as much.

I use a chain cleaner after every ride then re lube. Every 4 rides I clean the cassette and chain ring with a Casette Brush and Ferwicks foaming cleaner.

How on Earth are people getting well over 1000 KM+ out of a chain before hitting 0.75% ? Only time I get that much out of a chain is when I'm intending to do a full drive train replacement on the next change and let it go well beyond 1%.

I'm using SRAM X1 chains. 11 Speed.

A typical ride is 50-60KM with 1500M of elevation averaging around 18KPH and approx 70% Trail Mode & 30% Turbo.

Turbo Levo Comp 2020
High Rock Ruti

I get 750 miles out of a chains and cassettes, on any e bike I own. I had a chain fall off three times in a row last week only to discover that my chain ring was loose, putting on the chain the third time I felt a broken link in the inside of the chain, soooo lucky I was close to the car made it back put on a new chain. I've learned to lay the old chain down on the floor and place the new chain next to it, no link counting needed. The old chain was a full quarter inch longer than the new chain, not sure what that is as a percentage?

Warm Regards

Ruti

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I get between 150 and 250 miles from a chain, usually closer to 150 though.
the welsh mud and grit sees to that.
dont matter what I do cleaning wise, thats all I get.
wet lube in winter
dry in summer
summer chain lasts all summer but as soon as winter starts, the chains wear quickly. there is a specific kind of aggregate in the forest where I ride, its full of quarries for the stuff and ive not come across it before, sandy, muddy gritty clay is the way I can describe it.. pretty sure its that stuff that does the damage.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I feel rather embarrassed. Here in top of the South Island (NZ) where I live, most trail riding is done on dry trails. Very little mud and slush unless in middle of Winter. I ride a 2019 Giant Trance +1 Pro, mostly on MTB trails. To date I have done 7440 km ( 4650 miles) and am on my second chain and cassette. Replaced original chain/cassette at 4195km (2622 miles)
It seems to me, the conditions you ride in are the problem, rather than being caused by being too hard on the chain during gear changes.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Who do you send the stuff back to? Shimano customer services in the UK?

Sounds a great deal if true!
High Rock Ruti

I'm a yank, so I send it to Shimano USA. Put in a box no note with your return address, the derailleur took almost 3 months to come back, but try to buy anything Shimano right now, supply chain hell, I tell you!

Warm Regards Ruti

Joop E-Bike

Mar 2, 2020
Spain
I started this tread, now 4000 km and a year later I have some new experience.
I went from Sram to Shimano XT. First the shifting didn’t work well so I had to change the derailleur and shifter as well.
I also stopped cleaning the chain with a degreaser. I started cleaning the chain only with brake cleaner on the outside and put shimano oil on it after every ride. Let the oil soak in over night and clean it with a cloth and some brake cleaner before the new ride.
Three months ago I started with a chain wax, it doesn’t attract so much dust anymore and keeps everything cleaner. I’m not even on 75% with this set.
I ordered a new cassette but delivery time should be 3 to 4 months.
So order in time and don’t throw away your old stuff.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles