My spanking new Vitus E Sommet VRS 2020

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
A more cheerful post instead of packaging mishaps! I’ve done three proper rides on the e-sommet now. It’s a great bike. Amused myself today by putting Strava on and smashing kom’s everywhere! Such blatant cheating but I’m fat and old so I need some help!! I’ve never ridden a downhill bike but I don’t imagine they arent too different to this. It’s plush and will bulldoze anything although interestingly enough in finding it easier to lift the front wheel than on my analogue bike. I’m 5’7” and went for a small - pleased I did, fits perfectly and I wouldn’t want any longer although I will need to swap out the 100mm dropper. The tyres are bubble gum, draggy as anything on the road and I imagine the range will be much better on harder rubber. 20 miles today with the cork out and the battery was dead pretty much as I rolled down my drive. Rode for maybe 4 miles on mega eco which is no fun at all. Long/short I’ll be buying a second battery - it’s too much fun fully lit to eek out the range by riding slow. No regrets so far, will be back out tomorrow morning with a smile on my face

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Still not got mine ordered on the 16th, CRC are been useless and now want me to wait another 6 days so they can contact Tuffnells and find out where it is.

Jeffcw

Apr 29, 2020
Manchester
Still not got mine ordered on the 16th, CRC are been useless and now want me to wait another 6 days so they can contact Tuffnells and find out where it is.

Tuffnells are f**king wa*k.
I went to my local depo yesterday fed up of them not answering, managed to get into the office and find someone, no security on the gate so can just drive in.... erm you shouldnt be here we are not doing collections... erm well you should answer your phone. You cant collect as we dont know exactly were it is, theres a back log and its in one of the trailers in the yard that we are emptying for deliveries to be made. Anyway much discussion back and fourth didnt get anywhere, ill be going back tomorrow if its still not here. There were a few pallets just outside with bike boxes stacked on !, good job i wasnt a thief in a van or could of just filled up and drove off.

Utter shambles they are.

Benbenben

Apr 7, 2020
Isle of Wight
CRC finally admitted today that my bike had been lost and are going to send out another. I guess it’ll be all the sweeter! Does anyone else think it would be worth buying the faster charger? Mine is a sommet VR and will come with the slower charger

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I dont think it worth it, money better spent on a second battery if you think you will be doing a lot of riding in a day, the fast charger still takes 4 hours for a full charge.

I would recommend getting a timer plug though, I tend to put mine on to charge overnight, and it gives a bit of piece of mind - also useful for if you want to part charge your battery to 3 bars if you are not going to be using it for a while and want to store it.

WildGuy

Mar 12, 2020
Cyprus
On the other hand, the fast charger can get the battery to 80% in 2.5 hours - which perhaps could be a very long lunch break - whereas the slow charger would take 4 hours to 80% - which perhaps wouldn't be of much use.

On the assumption that one isn't usually in a mad-rush to get the battery charged, if you've only got one charger or the other, probably better to have the slow charger, because slow-charging the battery is better for its longevity. I've got two VRS on order....hadn't really thought which charger it might come with until I read this thread. It doesn't say on the Vitus website - which really is the bare minimum of a website (which is kind of good because maybe they're keeping their costs down there rather than passing them on in the end price of the bike). It also doesn't say on the Wiggle site where I placed my order. But now I look at the CRC site it seems that I'll be getting the fast charger, which would really be further kudos to Vitus to give a £150 charger instead of a £50 one without even bothering to trumpet that fact at all! Ironically enough, that would have meant that I'd have needed to buy a slow charger as well once the bike arrived because, for the reason I already gave, I wouldn't want to only have a fast charger. But as I've already got two slow chargers it's good news for me that I'll be getting fast chargers.

So anyway @Benbenben, maybe start with the slow charger yours comes with and see how you go? That way you give yourself another option: namely waiting for the announced but I don't see anywhere for sale yet EC-E8004 charger (comparison down the page here E-BIKE ON THE DROPS WITH SHIMANO STEPS )
The thing about this EC-E8004 charger is that it seems to offer barely any advantage over the existing fast charger, except that it's less than half the weight. Personally, if I was sure I wasn't going to transport it anywhere actually on a ride with me I'd go for the seemingly brick-like EC-E6000 fast charger, solely on the basis that I think with transformers bigger = more reliable. However in my case I have cycled to hotels with my bike a few times and had to set an alarm in the night to switch charging to my wife's bike, so as well as a fast charger meaning I didn't have to worry about that I'd also rather not carry a brick, so I might end up buying the EC-E8004 to complete my collection of chargers when I can find it for sale.

Wow, a long and boring post. Hope food-for-thought to someone though or I should have spent my time not typing that! lol

Benbenben

Apr 7, 2020
Isle of Wight
Great info thanks, definitely worth posting.
I’ll see how I get on with the slow charger first but the idea of a long lunch break fast charge does appeal! I will probably look for another battery as well in the future. If the smaller 400wh battery fits the same fitting then that could be a good option as cheaper and I doubt I would ever use 900wh in one sitting.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The concept of taking your charger out with you may sound appealing, but the reality is that there will rarely be a ride when you charge the bike up during it, unless you plan on stopping for a long time.

I have two main batteries, if I go to a trial centre I keep spare in the car and just swap it out as and when, and on the rare occasion I want to do a long XC type ride its easy enough o carry the spare in a backpack designed to carry them.

A spare battery is one of the best investments you can make on an EMTB imo, and the great thing about the Shimano External ones is they are relatively cheap compared to other brands. Aside from giving you more riding time, they also enable you to rotate the batteries meaning you get more life out of them.

WildGuy

Mar 12, 2020
Cyprus
Yes you'd imagine charging whilst out and about would be rare, but if you ever did it, at that moment you'd surely be wishing you had a fast charger! I'm not saying that if it's only one or the other having an extra battery isn't the option that offers the most possibilities, but if there was a possibility to charge on an all-day ride, and if, say, a 70% charge in 2 hours would be enough by taking along the new 450 gram EC-8004 charger, that would be a whole lot nicer than carrying an extra battery. In fact the weight of an extra battery on my back would take too much enjoyment from the ride for me anyway (it's extremely hilly and hot here so I already have to take a lot of weight of water). Actually I'm trying to work out how I can make something to attach an extra battery to the frame (with it's very wide square downtube my bike probably gives as much possibility as any that something that would hold it rock solid at a low centre of gravity can be fashioned, but that's all by the bye).

Regarding the smaller 418Wh BT-E8014 battery you mentioned @Benbenben, it does fit but I can't see any value in it because comparing with the 504Wh BT-E8010 battery it's only 50 grams lighter. Due to their capacity constantly degrading, once you've had your BT-E8010 long enough it'll effectively be a BT-E8014 anyway!

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Tuffnells are f**king wa*k.
I went to my local depo yesterday fed up of them not answering, managed to get into the office and find someone, no security on the gate so can just drive in.... erm you shouldnt be here we are not doing collections... erm well you should answer your phone. You cant collect as we dont know exactly were it is, theres a back log and its in one of the trailers in the yard that we are emptying for deliveries to be made. Anyway much discussion back and fourth didnt get anywhere, ill be going back tomorrow if its still not here. There were a few pallets just outside with bike boxes stacked on !, good job i wasnt a thief in a van or could of just filled up and drove off.

Utter shambles they are.
Any update on yours ?

CRC refuse to give me the URN for Tuffnells...or any sort of tracking information at all so I'm not even convinced its been sent.

Jeffcw

Apr 29, 2020
Manchester
Any update on yours ?

CRC refuse to give me the URN for Tuffnells...or any sort of tracking information at all so I'm not even convinced its been sent.

Still not here. Keep trying but nothing. Was going to go back today to the depot but had a skype work meeting.

Just reading another review on them and they too have a parcel stuck at haydock, all crc stuff goes through that depot first i believe when handed over from express frieght. They are the worst company ive ever dealt with.

Crc said they have escalated this now and said they will request updates asap and chase too.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Still not here. Keep trying but nothing. Was going to go back today to the depot but had a skype work meeting.

Just reading another review on them and they too have a parcel stuck at haydock, all crc stuff goes through that depot first i believe when handed over from express frieght. They are the worst company ive ever dealt with.

Crc said they have escalated this now and said they will request updates asap and chase too.
(y) Let us know what CRC say, they said they are chasing mine up but I don't trust them any more than Tuffnells.

raf

May 7, 2020
UK
Another one here - mine arrived the other day with the box completely ripped open. Also It took almost 3 weeks and still showed as 'processing' in my account. There was no dispatch notification so it was lucky I was around when it arrived.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Another one here - mine arrived the other day with the box completely ripped open. Also It took almost 3 weeks and still showed as 'processing' in my account. There was no dispatch notification so it was lucky I was around when it arrived.

What part of the country are you in ? is there any damage ?

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
It is a little bit funny that alla of u that have a problem is from UK and the same country that CRC is in .

my order here to sweden was no problem at all , package was not damaged and package was not late.

Thanks Debbie at CRC that packaged my order and sent it :D

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
It is a little bit funny that alla of u that have a problem is from UK and the same country that CRC is in .

my order here to sweden was no problem at all , package was not damaged and package was not late.

00a636a7862658c5dd6ba68e64222d10.jpg

Jeffcw

Apr 29, 2020
Manchester

Thats because yours wouldnt have come via TWATnells. They are the weak link in all this.

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Well I took my Sommet out for its first ride today. What a bike 1KOM and 7 cups! Had to tweak pressures a little and dropped the dust cap into long grass that took me 10mins to find. Road basically all ECO that is suprisingly strong, 2900ft 20miles 3 bars left (but probably 2.3) 10mph average.

However, whilst pedalling along a road my motor cut out twice, I looked at the display that showed the shimano logo and then it returned to the normal screen and power again (about 10 seconds). Almost like a reboot. Any ideas??

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Sounds like a loose battery or cable from similar reports ive read. Check battery holder is adjusted so its held tight, if it is then might be a connection with motor, ive not taken mine apart enough to offer advice about that but ive seen discussions about it in other parts of the forum.
And for Strava you need to set it to e-bike under ride type. Anyone on a ebike can beat normal bikes, but are you faster against other ebikes? they have their own segments you cant see if you dont change ride type.

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Yes does sound like battery. Hmm will check strange it was on the flat bits. Yes set to ebike tbh I don't care to much for Strava as ride for fun. Was just entertaining to see. Time on regular bike is quicker but the sommet was so much smoother/less dramatic if I pushed it (given it was my first ride on it) I think on some areas I will be easily quicker. Suspension platform is lovely.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
A update to mine...I spoke to CRC and was told on the 4th they had contacted the courier and they will get back to me, after hearing nothing for 4 days I spoke to them again who said the same thing and didnt get back to me again, I spoke to them again this morning who said they was escalating it to a manager and got a email back a few hours later saying my bikes been lost, they never offered to send another or anything other than sorry for any inconvenience and you will have your money back in 5 days, that's it, 26 days and counting with no money and no bike.

Jeffcw

Apr 29, 2020
Manchester
A update to mine...I spoke to CRC and was told on the 4th they had contacted the courier and they will get back to me, after hearing nothing for 4 days I spoke to them again who said the same thing and didnt get back to me again, I spoke to them again this morning who said they was escalating it to a manager and got a email back a few hours later saying my bikes been lost, they never offered to send another or anything other than sorry for any inconvenience and you will have your money back in 5 days, that's it, 26 days and counting with no money and no bike.

Ive been back to the depot today and had a bit of a heated discussion, long story short still on a trailer after 11days and the whole place is a shit show.

Ive asked crc for an update and told them this.

If you ordered large they are out of stock so maybe the reason why.

Its a joke.

The annoying thing is a really want the bike!

Benbenben

Apr 7, 2020
Isle of Wight
Mine was officially declared lost twenty odd days after ordering and going in about 5 different email circles. Was offered replacement or refund. It’s by far the best bike for the money so have gone for replacement. It’s being put together at the moment so we’ll see if I receive this one- only been waiting 5.5 weeks!!!

WildGuy

Mar 12, 2020
Cyprus
Hmm so that's a few that have just mysteriously disappeared off the face of the earth then. Did my order April 21 so maybe mine too. Be a shame because of the price, but in all honesty was a spur-of-the-moment, relieve-the-coronavirus-boredom type purchase anyway, so definitely more of a want than a need. At least I can say I tried to do my bit for the flagging economy lol

Jeffcw

Apr 29, 2020
Manchester
Hmm so that's a few that have just mysteriously disappeared off the face of the earth then. Did my order April 21 so maybe mine too. Be a shame because of the price, but in all honesty was a spur-of-the-moment, relieve-the-coronavirus-boredom type purchase anyway, so definitely more of a want than a need. At least I can say I tried to do my bit for the flagging economy lol

Ive been back and too with crc, tuffnells, and express freight. Ive had a little break through possibly. To be fair express freight are helpful, apparently thier directors gone mad at tuffnells and there may be some movement. It seems a full shipment it is one trailer at haydock and they just dont have staff to move it. However they are returning from furlough to sort it out after a severe bollocking from one of there main customers. Mine was ordered on the 20th so possibly sat next to each other.
Ill update any progress but monday/tuesday is what they are now saying.
Tuffnells are fucking wank. Pardon the french.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles