My review of the Meta Power

DK_EBIKER

May 6, 2019
Denmark
Subscribed

Love your vid. Could you do one on the 2019 edition?
Im stuck between the 18 and 19 model :) ive alway ridden fox, and dont know alot about RS ore coil riding, but i think the 2019 model is asome :)

ebike_junkie

Mar 30, 2019
San Clemente, California
Subscribed

Love your vid. Could you do one on the 2019 edition?
Im stuck between the 18 and 19 model :) ive alway ridden fox, and dont know alot about RS ore coil riding, but i think the 2019 model is asome :)

Thanks DK! If I can get hold of a 2019 I'll be sure to test it out. For what it's worth I don't think you'll be disappointed with the coil, just make sure its sprung correctly for your weight.

I've ridden a friend's Meta Power which had the Rock Shox coil and it felt great!

jptbiow

May 20, 2019
UK
Thanks dude! This was the 27.5.
Amazing - thanks so much for letting me know. I'm kind of wheel size agnostic (I'm the limiting factor, not the wheel size), but have you ridden the Meta Power 29, and if so, how does it compare to its little bro?

ebike_junkie

Mar 30, 2019
San Clemente, California
Amazing - thanks so much for letting me know. I'm kind of wheel size agnostic (I'm the limiting factor, not the wheel size), but have you ridden the Meta Power 29, and if so, how does it compare to its little bro?

I haven't ridden the 29er Meta power unfortunately, but I've ridden other 29er ebikes and for ebikes I like 27.5. My normal pedal bike is a 29er so I'm not a hater.
The heaviness of an ebike obviously takes away some of the playfulness of the bike and by keeping it 27.5 you gain some of that playfulness back.
Also, with the extra weight of an ebike the suspension dynamic is different to a normal bike. I find you can set them up to really bomb through the rough stuff and they feel very stable. Think of a motocross bike and how small the wheels are on them, yet you're able to attack extremely rough terrain with all that weight and power.

Hopefully that makes sense (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I haven't ridden the 29er Meta power unfortunately, but I've ridden other 29er ebikes and for ebikes I like 27.5. My normal pedal bike is a 29er so I'm not a hater.
The heaviness of an ebike obviously takes away some of the playfulness of the bike and by keeping it 27.5 you gain some of that playfulness back.
Also, with the extra weight of an ebike the suspension dynamic is different to a normal bike. I find you can set them up to really bomb through the rough stuff and they feel very stable. Think of a motocross bike and how small the wheels are on them, yet you're able to attack extremely rough terrain with all that weight and power.

Hopefully that makes sense (y)
That is one of the best/most concise explanations I have seen of that point of view - keep up the vids they are real good

jptbiow

May 20, 2019
UK
That is one of the best/most concise explanations I have seen of that point of view - keep up the vids they are real good

I was about to say exactly the same thing! Super helpful advice as I've been wondering between the 29 and the 27, but increasingly thinking that the motor and weight of an E-MTB may reduce the benefits of a 29er. This makes me think that the 2018 650B+ Race could be a better shout than the 2019 29 signature... Shame the shock isn't as good / isn't a coil...

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Personally I still think the compromises are pretty similar but it’s all down to preference. I’m happy to slightly compromise on agility for rolling speed. I think if I was a little shorter (<5.11) I would not be such a 29 fanboy.

The Loam Wolf reviewed the 29 as the better bike, but I think it’s all down to the individual. My friend tried my Power 29 at the weekend and didn’t realise it had big wheels, being old school he was a little disgusted when he found out ?

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Very nice video and a well done job, congrats e-junkie!

I have the canyon spectral, witch looks like a panzer tank but is very similar to the commencal in agility, in fact the 27,5 wheel on the rear sure helps it being an easy to pop bike, but, where it really helps is on the steep downhill, where the 29 do easily scrub the butt of any but the tallest riders.

FlyingKiwi

Jul 19, 2019
NZ
Hey great reviews! Love to here your thoughts on the new Meta SX vs the outgoing 27.5..some long numbers in there!..sexy looking rig but haven’t thrown a leg over a bike with such long WB and reach numbers before (485mm on the L)...those numbers have me on the fence. Can’t find any ride reports for the SX as yet?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles