My Rail, Resting on Stuff

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Have you been using one of those garden sprayers to squirt muddy water all over your bike so people think you've been riding it (especially the Mrs) ?
No need, although my mate's bike was significantly dirtier despite riding the same trails. Slower...
You never did stick that bosch badge back on ... or if you did - you did a crap job !
Nope, still on my desk. :D

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
IMG_20201114_175525_134.jpg

Nice view from yesterday's ride looking out over Sumner Beach, Christchurch, NZ. Southern Alps and Kaikoura in the distance.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Arrrrgh the heat - the heat....
Had the fire going last week & now bloody stifling! Great pic
Thank you! My first ride with the OneUp carbon bars, I really like them, they definitely make a difference. Yes hot weather all weekend, our summers do seem to be getting drier and hotter. But it could easily be freezing cold and pissing down in a day or two :rolleyes:

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
Thank you! My first ride with the OneUp carbon bars, I really like them, they definitely make a difference. Yes hot weather all weekend, our summers do seem to be getting drier and hotter. But it could easily be freezing cold and pissing down in a day or two :rolleyes:

Have you changed the stem? I thought only Bontragers were compatible with knock block system.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Have you changed the stem? I thought only Bontragers were compatible with knock block system.
Yes, Bonty stems are required for the knock block system. But for the L & XL frames at least, the fork clears the down tube, so the knock block is redundant. There are lugs on the top bearing cover that slot into machined recesses in the headset spacers. Grind the lugs off and you're good to go with standard spacers and whatever stem you like

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020
New Zealand
Yes, Bonty stems are required for the knock block system. But for the L & XL frames at least, the fork clears the down tube, so the knock block is redundant. There are lugs on the top bearing cover that slot into machined recesses in the headset spacers. Grind the lugs off and you're good to go with standard spacers and whatever stem you like

You can also purchase a lockring spacer that will allow you to have a non knock block stem:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
If I was doing it again with a L or XL frame I'd file off the top tabs of the spacers & use a normal stem. I ground a couple of receptacles into a normal stem. After a minor fall I can feel a 'tinking' sound at the end of travel of the bars which I'm too scared to look into incase the knock block has broken off inside & caused damage

Jamescoughlan

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2020
Aberporth
Bike is better on the steep stuff that I ride.
steep up or down or simply both?
I've bumped my forks up to 170mm and have 160mm cranks so I'm tempted, in the interest of shits & giggles to have a go with the 27.5 rear off my hardtail.
Have you run a massive wide 27.5 tyre? I've got the choice of 2.6 or 2.8, as a general rule I prefer a narrower tyre and currently have a 29x2.4 on the rear right now.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
steep up or down or simply both?
Down.
I only ride steep up if I'm lost, that's what fire roads are for... :ROFLMAO:
Climbing is probably compromised a little.

I'm also running 170mm forks but 165 cranks. Mino Link in "High". Pedal strikes have not been an issue for me, but then I can read the trail... :p

I've got a 2.6 e-Wild on at the moment and a 2.8 MM in the garage for when it get really sloppy. So last week then...

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Decided a wee trip up the hills was in order today as it was so nice outside.. but freezing. Took a jaunt up from Glen Isla to Glen Markie estate then found some little paths to take me up and over a couple of hills. Nothing technical but just a nice day out.
AC486C23-47BA-4528-9BEA-A5B3FEABE34B.jpeg
A3EF87A3-C168-4801-AF03-8951F4704353.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Looks nice. It was a foggy slop-fest in the Forest of Dean this weekend.

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Aye it would have been the same up there had it not been -2 when I set off. When it started to thaw it got a lot muddier under foot.

Jamescoughlan

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2020
Aberporth
Nant Yr Arian was stunning this Sunday. Minus 2 deg at the start, I was there early, no wind and sunny. This is top of the Reaper trail, snow capped mountains in the background. 3 runs of the Reaper, I was in heaven, despite bending my LH crank arm. Hope 155’s ordered but I don’t think there’s any in stock so I’m not holding my breath.

544870BD-8873-41FD-8CFF-BB514243ABEC.jpeg

Jamescoughlan

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2020
Aberporth
Down.
I only ride steep up if I'm lost, that's what fire roads are for... :ROFLMAO:
Climbing is probably compromised a little.

I'm also running 170mm forks but 165 cranks. Mino Link in "High". Pedal strikes have not been an issue for me, but then I can read the trail... :p

I've got a 2.6 e-Wild on at the moment and a 2.8 MM in the garage for when it get really sloppy. So last week then...

There in lies the problem. I like the steeps up and down and even with 170mm forks, 160mm cranks I still bent the LH crank. I’m a good technical rider but when a rock is covered in moss on a track it’s challenging! The beauty of the ebike is the ease with which you can pedal through uphill tech with speed but, naturally, that brings new challenges! ‘king love it!! Just what my riding needed! But no mullet for me methinks.

The Claw NZ

Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Leaning on a shovel and very clean (for me). Final upgrade arrived today so it's now ready for the southern hemisphere summer. Have upgraded dropper to One Up 180mm and handlebar to One Up as well with Red ODI grips. Had to replace rear rotor as I bent it, so swapped front to back and got a 220mm Braking rotor for the front. Just received new wheelset today (NZ made Wheelworks Flites) with 35mm internal width carbon rims fitted with Eddy Current front and Aggressor 2.5 DD rear. Can't wait to get out on it over the weekend
20201210_193214.jpg

Jamescoughlan

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2020
Aberporth
Leaning on a shovel and very clean (for me). Final upgrade arrived today so it's now ready for the southern hemisphere summer. Have upgraded dropper to One Up 180mm and handlebar to One Up as well with Red ODI grips. Had to replace rear rotor as I bent it, so swapped front to back and got a 220mm Braking rotor for the front. Just received new wheelset today (NZ made Wheelworks Flites) with 35mm internal width carbon rims fitted with Eddy Current front and Aggressor 2.5 DD rear. Can't wait to get out on it over the weekend View attachment 46776
The Zeb's do look great on the Rail. Loving the colour matching of the rim decals with the frames, I'm not normally that fussy but it looks good mate!
I've just ordered a 220mm front Magura rotor too, very excited!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles