Clean again
IMG_0412[1].JPG

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Sorry to disappoint, but no. No crashes either.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Maiden ride though..;)

I'm on a group ride Sat with one.. looking forward to seeing it in the flesh tbh (y)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Never mind the pussy, look at the hat.

Did you ever think you'd get to the age where you'd say that line ....... :)

Look at the hat. I bet Dom looks very dapper in that, his little pink handbag.....who would have thought ??‍♀️

Not a man to be messed with at the airport with his summer and winter fedora's, pink turbo tassel manbag and glossy white suitcase.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Dude, you've got to stop stalking me! :ROFLMAO:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So how was it? Thoughts on the Rail, does it lean better than the Powerfly, or is it a flop

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I took it easy as I was riding solo, but I hit a few berms and it railed them...

I haven't fitted a Magic Mary to the front yet, so it's on the OEM Bontragers which are quite minion-alike and worked well on the back.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
Nice. Yeah I ordered new rubber when I ordered the bike but am pleasantly surprised by the stock XR5s. So much so I’m considering trying the SE5s for something just as good and a little more robust. I ride in dusty conditions and they’re not spinning up at all. Lovely.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Doominic Don't be shy tell us how your rail is Im about to drop huge money on one?

Turbo Levo S works lost its fourth motor and Specialized has given me a full refund, the money is burning a hole in the pockets?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
you're such a tease
:LOL:
how's it ride?
(y)
It's early days yet, but it's a definite improvement over the Powerfly. I need more time on the bike (and a front tyre that actually works in the current conditions) before I can say much more.
new Bosch motor and emtb mode, and what you think of it so far.
It feels just like the old motor until you ride it over the limit or switched off when it feels so much better than the old motor. EMTB mode is great, if a little thirsty.
I still can't decide if it's noisier than the old motor or if the noise is just different enough to be intrusive. It certainly isn't Levo quiet when under power, but virtually silent when being used off or over the limit.

Last edited:

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
I’ve done some 300km on my Rail so far. Quite impressed with the handling. Fun and poppy yet fairly stable on the runs down. I’m 186 cm (6.1”) and I do need to lean forward a bit in the steep climbs. Not an issue, just takes getting used to.

The SE5 tires are ok in the mud, not more. Will upgrade those when I get the chance.

Agree, the Bosch motor is really nice. Sure, not as quiet as the Brose for sure. That however has never been an issue for me. Not as I’m panting and giving off all sort of sounds myself

#mightbeanagething

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Ah yes, climbing.

I really noticed the shorter chainstays today on a climb I've done a few times before. It's a very steep climb with no run up and a sloppy, off camber start and I was really fighting to keep the front down. In that respect it felt similar to the Spectral I borrowed for a day but I wasn't sure then if it was the climbs that were the problem or the geo as I hadn't ridden either before.

The SE5 is fine on the rear, quite Minion-a-like, but didn't work for me on the front today and I had two unscheduled dismounts where I lost the front, one of which will hopefully be on camera. I also had several near misses including a how-the-fuck-didn't-I-crash-then one...

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
View attachment 24502

Post ride rest. Been working that shock hard.

High Rock Ruti

DOOMANIC

Your my new Hero, LOOK at your beautiful bike!

Let us know how the paint holds up. I'm going to spring for the Project One custom paint, going to cover it in clear frame protectant, the problem is I crash all the time riding nasty technical rock, my rims get scratched for heavens sake.

Please tell us about the bikes hits and misses, there are so few reviews out on the Rail, I'm itching to know all the good and the bad

Warm Regards

Ruti

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Your my new Hero, LOOK at your beautiful bike!
Thanks Ruti, it's for thrashing around on, not looking at, it's always going to be grubby after a ride!
Let us know how the paint holds up. I'm going to spring for the Project One custom paint, going to cover it in clear frame protectant, the problem is I crash all the time riding nasty technical rock, my rims get scratched for heavens sake.
I bought a bike that was in stock at my (excellent) LBS, so no option to change the colours for me. Happily, the Dnister Black/Rage Red is the second best colour, behind this one...
Rail97NXUS_20_30691_C_Portrait

Which is the only other colour they do that would persuade me to spend more money.

My bike is Invisiframed, so hopefully it will stay pretty for a while, even with me riding it... :eek:

Please tell us about the bikes hits and misses, there are so few reviews out on the Rail, I'm itching to know all the good and the bad
Hits:
Still haven't ridden it enough to know anything other than it is definitely better than the old Powerfly. My M weighs almost exactly the same as my 2017 L Powerfly but has a bigger battery so range is significantly increased. The new motor is way better, but that's not exactly unexpected. The suspension seems to work better too, the updated geometry must be effective.
Trek Misses:
Not much room for a bottle on my M, which could cause issues once @TrailwattsUK pulls his finger out and sorts out the Bosch Range Extender. ;)
I don't like the front tyre in the current conditions. I'm trying to decide if I go for my usual MM up front or wait for the Michelin eWilds to be released in 29er sizes.
Bosch Misses:
No BT connectivity and tuning options.
The motor stops assisting as soon as you hit the 15.5mph limit, the old Perf CX offered gradually reducing assistance up to about 17mph which made the transition smoother.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Doomanic just rode pivot shuttle it's 17° F the water that splashed on the bike was ice by the parking lot looking forward to ordering the gilded MTB I figure I'll just leave all the packing foam on the bike that should protect thr overpriced one off paint job from ME! Got any video curious about what your trails looks like. Today we rode Stoney Brook in Roslindale part of Boston I'll attach the ride file.

Thanks for the reach out "man of Doom"

Check out my mountain biking activity on Garmin Connect. #beatyesterday
Boston Mountain Biking

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Here’s mine leaning against my garage wall.
Just home from the shop, and still with the naff plastic test pedals on.
It’s currently hanging from a stand with the wheels off and 4 of the Invisiframe jigsaw puzzle pieces fitted. Hopefully get a few more fitted after work tonight!

3F39CA83-E12F-449C-9C39-51E11E1A89CE.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles