• Other - Hub Drive

Votes: 8 2.2%

• Total voters

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
No one in their right mind would choose a hub motor for actual mountainbiking
I had to think about that but yes very true. The 11 year old Crystalyte 5304 I have powers the hefty beast uphill at about the same speed as gravity pulls it downhill. With a 9-speed gearbox, I pedal no matter what gradient. So no not actual mountain biking - it's another form altogether - uphill monster biking is far more accurate.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
TSDZ2 on Whyte T129, did nearly 1000 miles on the first motor, but the winter riding through 300mm deep water and mud finally killed it, £ 250.00 1 week later, new motor and another 500 miles in without problems. Very adjustable re power and settings with a keen bunch of techies hacking the factory software ending with as good as more well known brands. A lot of the roadies are reporting 3K km's without problems. If you have an old favourite analogue sitting around feeling left out, a great way as an entry into the world of Ebikes and yes sub 20kgs with batteries are possible relatively easily

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I blew my e8000 at 3800 miles a week ago. A good run I’d say. Now I wait. Having the fork and rear shock serviced while I’m at it. Neither have been touched since new.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Shimano E8000 motors.
Iv’e clocked up 11000k’s on my Merida. 90% MTB Park riding.
My wife’s Merida 7500k’s on more mixed easier rides.
Only problem Iv’e had was with the DI2 unit.

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
Yamaha PW-X from 2018 Haibike, 3 years and 5500 trouble free miles 80% of riding is in wet environment with uphills and downhills and 99% of riding is in maximum power mode with no speed limit (speed box mod), all year round riding including riding in freezing temperature weather is snow and ice. Still on the original 500Wh battery, works like day one. Well, actually the Yamaha battery has one issue, the battery level check button membrane is cracked over the time, it looks like it is common issue with the Yamaha batteries check buttons, I saw Yamaha used batteries on eBay with same cracked buttons, not a big deal, I just covered the cracked membrane button on my battery with a piece of duct tape and it works just fine.

Last edited:

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Giant Trance E+ Pro 1 bought June 2020 - 1600km and not missed a beat....even with this caked in the bash plate at bottom of motor...

IMG_0168.jpeg

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0162.jpeg

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
1250 trouble free miles with my 2nd Kenevo 2019 Brose motor (fingers crossed). 1st lasted 1100.
Latest Update: Kenevo 2019 Brose motors
3rd motor just fitted under warranty. (2nd motor replaced due to roughness in ‘bottom bracket” when rotated backwards. 2nd motor lasted 1811 miles. 1st motor lasted 1100 miles - excessive play in 'bottom bracket') - NOTE: neither motor completely died and I made sure to use minimal water when cleaning after the 2nd motor was fitted.

Warranty has now expired. I love the bike when its working but would I be better off selling now, with a brand new motor or just accepting that another new motor will be required sooner or later? Why aren't Specialized/Brose motors serviceable!!!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
We seem to be a Bosch CX Gen4 family here.
Thanks for the poll btw.
Most of the motors appear to do their job. In our area Bosch seems to be the motor of choice by far, then Brose, Shimano, Yamaha, respectively.
Me; Rail 9.7
Me; Powerfly 5
Wife; Powerfly 5
Son-in-law; Rail 7
Neighbor; Rail 9.7
Neighbor; Rail 7
Neighbor; Rail 7
Friend; Powerfly 5
Friend; Powerfly 5
There’s a Trek trend this year but that’s probably because the LBS is fairly close. These are all the 2020 model with the Bosch Gen 4 motor. No problems so far ?. I’m pushing 5k km for 2020 in the sun, dust, rain, snow, mud, creeks, rivers, traffic, bear poop, fallen trees, gravel, conifer needles, and a yogurt cup. (I picked up the cup and no animals were hurt in my travels).

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Booo, so now getting error 550 on my bosch cx gen 4,only 500 miles covered.

Can I remove my vote where I said my motor was reliable.

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
What I see in the survey is Yamaha motors are about twice less popular than the most common emtb motors. But I also see is Yamaha has maybe 50 times less complains on this forum about motor and electric system issues than any other of those more popular and the least problematic motors. So Yamaha ebikes motors maybe about 25 times more reliable than any another the most reliable ebikes motors brands.

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Im up to 2200km on my warrantee replacement shimano e8000 . I bought the bike july 19/2019, so a few days left on warrantee. Ive had a creak getting louder for the last month or so. Ive isolated it to the motor. Frame looks good, all new pivots, greased cranks and retourqued, ahtiseize motor mount bolts and tourqued, new pedals. Greased headset in case. Anything i that i could dovto the motor that i might have missed? Does this mean its going to die soon? Any thoughts Gary? I kniw youve gone through a couple/few and mentioned the shimano motor creak?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
What I see in the survey is Yamaha motors are about twice less popular than the most common emtb motors. But I also see is Yamaha has maybe 50 times less complains on this forum about motor and electric system issues than any other of those more popular and the least problematic motors. So Yamaha ebikes motors maybe about 25 times more reliable than any another the most reliable ebikes motors brands.

Less of them = less complaints .

Me - Kenevo 2000 KM Brose motor kaput . Into the Spesh dealer who couldnt tell me how much the labour cost would be on the 2nd hand bike ...
2 week turn around [ maybe less ] .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles