Levo Gen 2 My Levo motor blew up today.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hi, thanks for your response.
What’s the cost to purchase a motor from you? Do you offer an exchange? For example I buy a replacement motor from you and I send you my old motor in exchange.

Thanks!
Mark
Sorry Mark, These motors are extremely hard to come by. And as much as I would dearly like to get my bank managers money back as fast as possible, we only use these motors for parts or to replace un-repairable motors. If we sold them, they would be gone in 5 minutes and we would have no spare parts.
I know this is frustrating, but currently it's our only option.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Great photos that show your commitment and capabilities!!
But what are these motors marked "45km/h"?
Are they tested at that speed? Are they unrestricted to that speed?
I thought the speed limits are in the firmware...
These are the Brose 300W de-restricted motors, built to do 45Kmh by Brose and I would hope they tested them :LOL: These are obviously illegal to use in the UK, Europe and certain other countries, unless on private land or taxed insured etc... But they are bloody good fun :cool:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Regarding the noisy batch of motors, specialized told Me that the Motors were torqued up too tight at the factory that's what caused the noise,I had mine replaced under warranty because of the noise apparently it had no effect on the motor performance at all,is this true?
Does not sound right :unsure: If the belt is overtightened, even by a massive amount, it is still quiet until the electric motor bearing collapses (Yes, I have tried it when we were testing belt failures). The things that normally make them noisy is lack of lubricant on the belt. We have taken a few apart with cracked and overheated dry belts. Other than this, there is very little else in there to make any sort of noise until it's old and poorly.

Trax

Aug 19, 2020
Switzerland
The second Motor of my Levo 2019 died today. After 200m uphill it did a ratling noise and then a wining noise. There is no support any more and the rear wheel cant rotate backwards. The first motor died after 300km, the second motor reached 1600km total. Im not a heavy rider (80kg with gear) and i dont ride harsh.
@Specialized Rider Care Since approx 400km riding with the new motor software that should prevent this, it didnt! Last Motor change took one month at my dealer Stromvelo.ch.

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
The second Motor of my Levo 2019 died today. After 200m uphill it did a ratling noise and then a wining noise. There is no support any more and the rear wheel cant rotate backwards. The first motor died after 300km, the second motor reached 1600km total. Im not a heavy rider (80kg with gear) and i dont ride harsh.
@Specialized Rider Care Since approx 400km riding with the new motor software that should prevent this, it didnt! Last Motor change took one month at my dealer Stromvelo.ch.
sorry man, this has to be maddening for you.

The Levo is a great bike but what the heck with these motors?? If I were running Specialized I'd fire my motor people...at this point it's too much for too long.

I don't think I'd ride an e-bike out of warranty. @Specialized Rider Care did a great job backing up their bike with BOTH the new and used extension of their warranty, seriously...good on them, but this has to be crushing their profits and rep.

the single reason I even bought a Levo was the extension of the warranty.

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Sorry Mark, These motors are extremely hard to come by. And as much as I would dearly like to get my bank managers money back as fast as possible, we only use these motors for parts or to replace un-repairable motors. If we sold them, they would be gone in 5 minutes and we would have no spare parts.
I know this is frustrating, but currently it's our only option.

Hi again, I understand.

Can you please explain what services you offer and the cost.

Thanks again,
Mark.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hi again, I understand.

Can you please explain what services you offer and the cost.

Thanks again,
Mark.
Hi Mark,
Time for a blatant plug! We sell internal parts and bearings for ebike motors. We also offer an ebike motor repair and overhaul service with about 80% of our business coming from abroad. It is awkward to put prices on a forum as prices change. We can't price repairs until we know what needs repairing but we have a page that explains all this and does give overhaul prices here: https://www.performancelinebearings.com/repair-overhaul-service/
There is a whole page coming on a new service we will be offering to up-grade and seal the Brose motors to ensure reliability and water resistance. I will put a post up when this is done as I think Specialized riders will find it very interesting.

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Hi Mark,
Time for a blatant plug! We sell internal parts and bearings for ebike motors. We also offer an ebike motor repair and overhaul service with about 80% of our business coming from abroad. It is awkward to put prices on a forum as prices change. We can't price repairs until we know what needs repairing but we have a page that explains all this and does give overhaul prices here: Repair & Overhaul Service -
There is a whole page coming on a new service we will be offering to up-grade and seal the Brose motors to ensure reliability and water resistance. I will put a post up when this is done as I think Specialized riders will find it very interesting.

Hi again, thanks for this info - it’s very helpful. I will be pursuing a concern with my LBS for my Brose motor that’s making some noise. I am happy to know that there are alternatives should I need them.

Thanks again and be well all!

Mark

charliekao8

Apr 21, 2020
alhambra
Don't forget, if you're out of warranty, we will try and take care of you. We have put a huge effort into sourcing the parts to up-grade and seal the Specialized Brose motor, typically preventing further failures. We have also invested in motors and parts to keep riders supported for years to come.
Below are a few shots I have just taken from our workshop and stores. I hope it proves we are committed and serious about this!

Sorry I didn't clean the workshop before the photo ?

View attachment 42787 View attachment 42788 View attachment 42789 View attachment 42790 View attachment 42791
my 2019 s works turbo levo just went out the motor i only rode only 116 miles really sucks I took it to my local bike shop they will warranty it and my question is WHAT MOTOR DOES MY S WORKS MOTOR IS? s works and comp expert all use the same motor? shop said i will be getting the newer updated one that has a new belt all as one

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles