Levo Gen 2 My Levo motor blew up today.

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
I've read about this happening to many people now, me too. I was not doing anything crazy at all, wasn't even on a hill...dead flat bike ride. Was peddling, weird noise, then no power. Does anyone have any advice? I assume my local bike shop (Mike's Bikes in CA) will take a million years to get it fixed as they are already super busy.

ofcounsel

Apr 20, 2020
Brea, CA
Mine blew up today as well. Was climbing uphill then it just felt like something let go. I pedaled but no assist. It started making high pitched howling noises. I took mine to my local shop. They told me a week to two weeks turn around time.

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
We have 3 Levos. One has lost 2 motors (first around 500mi, second around 200mi). One has lost 1 motor (around 600mi). One hasn't lost a motor yet. We're really hoping to have better luck with latest motor, which supposedly has the latest fixes. Our last motor took 1 week to get replaced (in Southern California).

What year is your Levo? The good news, is that you should be getting the latest updated motor.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Sorry to hear about the collective woes. I know a bunch of people who manufacture things - bikes & puppies have gone off the Richter scale. Lead times for parts have stretched to beyond problematic. Best advice from those people - who I trust a lot - is to be patient and it will resolve increasingly rapidly.

As for me, I am about to enter Year 2 of owning a 2019 Kenevo - X-Wing Alu S & Rohloff - so 1 ! year warranty remaining. Not that I consciously treat it like you might treat a rental car, I just do. Yes I keep the battery at 50% when idle and I do lubricate it but that's all the care it gets.

Do I go harder trying to destroy the bike before my warranty is up?
Was thinking the risk is, I might accelerate bike degradation right up until the day after the warranty expires. But that's probably not likely.

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
Agreed! All of mine are 2020s. I have a 2021 coming next month, so it'll be interesting to see how that one does.
Thanks, mine is due December 15th (if all goes well). I was hoping none of the failed motors was from a 2021 model...

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
Thanks, mine is due December 15th (if all goes well). I was hoping none of the failed motors was from a 2021 model...

I'm optimistic that they've figured things out in the latest motors, from the sprag clutch to belt to firmware. One thing that keeps me with Specialized, is their outstanding warranty. They've done phenomenal job taking care of me through all of this.

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
I'm optimistic that they've figured things out in the latest motors, from the sprag clutch to belt to firmware. One thing that keeps me with Specialized, is their outstanding warranty. They've done phenomenal job taking care of me through all of this.
the warranty is WHY I bought this bike, if they hassle me I'll be disappointed.

ofcounsel

Apr 20, 2020
Brea, CA
@JetSedgwick @ofcounsel @shacall2
It would imo be helpful (and/or informative) for this community to add at least the year ...

Mine was a leftover 2019 Levo Expert that I purchased new in April 2020. I had approximately 880 miles on the motor when it went out. I gotta say, even knowing about the motor issues, I would still choose the Levo. It's a great bike. And I got great customer service from my local shop (Rock&Road Cyclery in Anaheim Hills). Even though I'm a seimi-regular customer (I've bought a few bikes there before and plenty of accessories over the years), I didn't buy this particular Levo there (I got a great clearance deal at another shop about 40 miles from home). But Rock&Road gave me zero hassles when I brought it in.

Last edited:

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
Encina bikes in WC
They replaced 5 motors for me throughout the year. 3 different bikes. They just started stocking motors last month
ha. my motor blew up at 9 am Sunday...I was going to take it there but there were not open until noon and Mike's Bike's in WC was open at 10, so I took it to Mike's. I'd rather give the business to Encina, they seem more chill.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
ha. my motor blew up at 9 am Sunday...I was going to take it there but there were not open until noon and Mike's Bike's in WC was open at 10, so I took it to Mike's. I'd rather give the business to Encina, they seem more chill.
when i'm not shopping bike stuff online i always shop at Encina or Sports Basement. The crew and deals at both places are good
bought quite a few bikes from encina over the years and i ordered all my fox suspension from them
I was there yesterday to order Reserve DH wheels, CK headset and Fox for my V10 lol
Now that i think about it, I'm actually at Encina 1-2 times per week

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
Sorry to hear about the collective woes. I know a bunch of people who manufacture things - bikes & puppies have gone off the Richter scale. Lead times for parts have stretched to beyond problematic. Best advice from those people - who I trust a lot - is to be patient and it will resolve increasingly rapidly.

As for me, I am about to enter Year 2 of owning a 2019 Kenevo - X-Wing Alu S & Rohloff - so 1 ! year warranty remaining. Not that I consciously treat it like you might treat a rental car, I just do. Yes I keep the battery at 50% when idle and I do lubricate it but that's all the care it gets.

Was thinking the risk is, I might accelerate bike degradation right up until the day after the warranty expires. But that's probably not likely.
Warranty is now 4 years on the motor.

lamerecycles

Apr 10, 2019
Minneapolis
Can't believe Specialized is sticking with Brose and so many people are still buying them..... I'm sure Brose will figure it out eventually but sheeesh.... we literally never have any problems with all the Shimano, Yamaha, and Bosch motors we put out the door. I hope Brose can figure things out as that motor is really smooth and quiet and feels super natural.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Don't forget, if you're out of warranty, we will try and take care of you. We have put a huge effort into sourcing the parts to up-grade and seal the Specialized Brose motor, typically preventing further failures. We have also invested in motors and parts to keep riders supported for years to come.
Below are a few shots I have just taken from our workshop and stores. I hope it proves we are committed and serious about this!

Sorry I didn't clean the workshop before the photo ?

IMG_3714.JPG IMG_3715.JPG IMG_3716.JPG IMG_3717.JPG IMG_3718.JPG

Nov 25, 2019
BC
Don't forget, if you're out of warranty, we will try and take care of you. We have put a huge effort into sourcing the parts to up-grade and seal the Specialized Brose motor, typically preventing further failures. We have also invested in motors and parts to keep riders supported for years to come.
Below are a few shots I have just taken from our workshop and stores. I hope it proves we are committed and serious about this!

View attachment 42787 View attachment 42788 View attachment 42789 View attachment 42790 View attachment 42791
Wicked. Way of the future...

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo

View attachment 42787 View attachment 42788 View attachment 42789 View attachment 42790 View attachment 42791
So sorry to hear about all the motor troubles. I’m beginning to hear noises from my 2016 Levo motor. My bike has just under 400 miles.

In a previous inquiry with my LBS (pre-motor failure) it was stated that b/c the frame has a lifetime warranty, Specialized seemingly considers the motor part of the frame...

I’d like to believe that with the history of motor failures that no one would would be paying for a replacement motor, regardless of the age of the bike. Abuse/neglect not withstanding of course.

@Bearing Man - what’s your process for obtaining a new motor? Do you repair one’s existing motor or offer a full one for one exchange? Whats the cost to buy a motor outright. In my case it’d be the first gen. 1.2 Brose.

Be well all!
Mark

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

I think your warranty just got doubled to 4 years, look around Rob had video up recently the Specialized site must have something too.

Warm Regards Ruti

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
@Bearing Man - what’s your process for obtaining a new motor? Do you repair one’s existing motor or offer a full one for one exchange? Whats the cost to buy a motor outright. In my case it’d be the first gen. 1.2 Brose.

Be well all!
Mark
A new factory motor should be bought from your local dealer. We buy new motors to strip for parts, or to sell/part exchange if a customers motor is beyond repair.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
High Rock Ruti

I think your warranty just got doubled to 4 years, look around Rob had video up recently the Specialized site must have something too.

Warm Regards Ruti
I think you’ll find the 4 year warranty is only offered on the 2019 to 2020 S-Mag motors. All other motors I believe it’s the standard 2 years.

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
A new factory motor should be bought from your local dealer. We buy new motors to strip for parts, or to sell/part exchange if a customers motor is beyond repair.

Hi, thanks for your response.
What’s the cost to purchase a motor from you? Do you offer an exchange? For example I buy a replacement motor from you and I send you my old motor in exchange.

Thanks!
Mark

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
I’m not a big fan of Mike’s Bikes (mostly San Rafael location) as I’ve had several customer service issues with them in the past. I’ve had 3 motor failures now in our family fleet. NorCal bikes in Santa Rosa has had them replaced with under a week turnaround both times. I’ve swapped a few motors now myself as well. It’s not too tough if you can get a hold of a replacement. This vid shows the old model but not much different for 2019-2020.

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA

Great photos that show your commitment and capabilities!!
But what are these motors marked "45km/h"?
Are they tested at that speed? Are they unrestricted to that speed?
I thought the speed limits are in the firmware...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles