My Levo died. Whole bike replacement.

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
Dropped off my 2019 Levo at my Lbs. They told me I needed a new motor. They just now told me Spesh is out of motors and they will be sending a New complete bike. But snice I upgraded everything on the bike. I'll have to pay labor for the change. I guess this is good news and bad. My Levo had it's fair share of war sounds...

Anyone think they'll let me change color? Lol

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
I bought the bike in my neighboring State. Bought it when it first came out. Didn't want to wait for my local Lbs to get them in.

Even if I'm paying for swap. Kinda happy for a fresh frame etc. Mine was starting to creak a little, not to mention all the chips & scratches etc.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Fair enough. It’s riding season here and I don’t like being without my bike for a few days let alone weeks. I get that Specilized are popular but I hear/see reliability issues way too much to consider one.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I have five friends with various Levo models, and everyone is universally pleased with their bikes. These guys ride hard and ride often. The reason I chose the Levo was stories of other brands having many more chronic issues. I have to say that the Levo is a fantastic bike, and while I've only ridden it 200 miles, I've had zero issues (except for leaving the charging cover off) and it rides like a dream. In our extended peer group Specialized seems to rule the roost.
unnamed (9).jpg

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I don’t doubt they are good bikes but the two people I know have had a number of niggles and there are a disproportionate number of posts on here about problems. Not hating on the bike, it’s just too common for my liking.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Understood, my sample size is small, but it's all tied around the same LBS as well, which probably makes some difference with any bike... perhaps more so with Emtbs?

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
I think it's much more important with a emtb you buy from a close and highly recommended lbs. If I could go back in time. I would've waited and bought from my local dealer.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I think it's much more important with a emtb you buy from a close and highly recommended lbs. If I could go back in time. I would've waited and bought from my local dealer.
I did, unfortunately our regular LBS doesn't really sell them, so I had to travel 20 miles and establish a new relationship, but it's working out quite well.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
As with most fan based forums you'll find the people with issues are by far and away the most vocal. That said, you'll also find the ones with genuine issues are turned upon by those who support their chose product fanatically.

Whats important is that we support one another and look into issues with open minds. Collectively if a real fault is found then as a forum of like minded people we have more chance at collectively convincing a manufacturer to make changes.

Sadly as I've found on other unrelated forums, its far easier to turn around into a feeding frenzy, turning on those with issues, banning etc and then groups become fragmented and when genuine issues arise they don't get fixed. You'll also find key "influencers" get a lot of credit whether its due or not from suppliers and general sheeple.

So to sum up.... its a bit of a bugger!

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
As with most fan based forums you'll find the people with issues are by far and away the most vocal. That said, you'll also find the ones with genuine issues are turned upon by those who support their chose product fanatically.

Whats important is that we support one another and look into issues with open minds. Collectively if a real fault is found then as a forum of like minded people we have more chance at collectively convincing a manufacturer to make changes.

Sadly as I've found on other unrelated forums, its far easier to turn around into a feeding frenzy, turning on those with issues, banning etc and then groups become fragmented and when genuine issues arise they don't get fixed. You'll also find key "influencers" get a lot of credit whether its due or not from suppliers and general sheeple.

So to sum up.... its a bit of a bugger!

Absolutely, and if Specialized (for instance) sells more Ebikes than most of their competitors (probable) than there will be more stories of failures simply by default, even if they have a lower percentage of failures (total speculation) in the population. Ultimately I think the best bet is to focus on the brands that your LBS sell and service and hope for the best. As long as I've been mountain biking, I've been breaking things that shouldn't break. The downside of this is much steeper on an ebike, but the willingness of the manufacturer and LBS to stand behind that product is MUCH more important than the actual failure. I think this story reflects extremely well on Specialized as they could have easily just kicked this can down the road until they replenished their parts supply, instead they offered a new bike. That's the kind of service I like and appreciate.... especially in June!

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
Even with my motor failing on me... I'm pretty damn impressed with the Levo. I'm a big guy... 230lbs with gear and put about a little under 1500miles of hard Riding. I'm sure my weight/riding style contributed to the failure. I also may have had one of the early noiser motors.

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
It's like Christmas. Lbs just called bike is ready to be picked up. Just hoping specialized sent a new bike and not just a new motor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles