My first eBike purchase - Giant TRANCE X E+ 1

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
My first eBike and it was not an easy decision parting with 9.5K on a pushbike, and so far it has been a nightmare with a new Giant TRANCE X E+ 1.

1. Tube surrounding the LED panel is squashed or dented. The workmanship and finish on it is terrible.
2. Battery would not fully charge in bike. I have to keep removing it to get full charge.
3. The APP when updating failed multiple times and after many attempts it worked.
4. While under power/ load the bike powers down without notice to one or two green bars- such as taking off from traffic lights.
5. Worst of all the powering down issue has now started on the trails and tonight while navigating rocky terrain decided to turn off ALL power. I barley escaped breaking my neck. I lost count of the times it powered down to low or zero both off road and on the pavement to the trail head.

To be honest with you- I'm utterly gutted with this purchase. A total waste of 9.5K! I have a new bike that's sat in there garage as it's is a serious accident waiting to happen. I've asked for a full refund from LBS.

It's a shame as the bike while it did as I told it to do- rode really well and after 3 weeks i've just started to get used to how it rides. It was a lot of fun for a few weeks.

Blame covid and supply chain issues blah blah fucking blah. Regardless this bike is a lemon. Never had these issues on any bike I've purchased and i've been riding since the 90's. What a joke.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
My first eBike and it was not an easy decision parting with 9.5K on a pushbike, and so far it has been a nightmare with a new Giant TRANCE X E+ 1.

1. Tube surrounding the LED panel is squashed or dented. The workmanship and finish on it is terrible.
2. Battery would not fully charge in bike. I have to keep removing it to get full charge.
3. The APP when updating failed multiple times and after many attempts it worked.
4. While under power/ load the bike powers down without notice to one or two green bars- such as taking off from traffic lights.
5. Worst of all the powering down issue has now started on the trails and tonight while navigating rocky terrain decided to turn off ALL power. I barley escaped breaking my neck. I lost count of the times it powered down to low or zero both off road and on the pavement to the trail head.

To be honest with you- I'm utterly gutted with this purchase. A total waste of 9.5K! I have a new bike that's sat in there garage as it's is a serious accident waiting to happen. I've asked for a full refund from LBS.

It's a shame as the bike while it did as I told it to do- rode really well and after 3 weeks i've just started to get used to how it rides. It was a lot of fun for a few weeks.

Blame covid and supply chain issues blah blah fucking blah. Regardless this bike is a lemon. Never had these issues on any bike I've purchased and i've been riding since the 90's. What a joke.
It sounds like giant is pumping them out while bikes are in high demand and the asking price is being paid with no haggling. This looks like it is at the cost of quality control. Factories put pressure on the workers to go faster and longer - corners are cut. Business does this when they know they can get away with it. It would not have worked pre covid when they were competing for our dollar.

Thanks for the feedback on your purchase.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
First up - why did you accept a bike with a damaged top tube?

The lighting in the shop did not show the issue TBH. Its super bright casting no shadows. I contacted bikeshop straight away and was told imperfections are normal. I disagreed on a 9.5k bike. Regardless of if I saw the issue in the shop or when home it is a defect that should be covered under warranty. Maybe I was a bit naive too and blinded by the excitement after waiting months for delivery.

Thankfully consumer law is on my side. The resolution I want is a refund and I'll buy another brand.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
It sounds like giant is pumping them out while bikes are in high demand and the asking price is being paid with no haggling. This looks like it is at the cost of quality control. Factories put pressure on the workers to go faster and longer - corners are cut. Business does this when they know they can get away with it. It would not have worked pre covid when they were competing for our dollar.

Thanks for the feedback on your purchase.
I totally agree.

The thing is and what I posed to the LBS -who is liable for my injury next time when I fall off a trail due to the bike failing? Them or Giant? I was lucky to get home today in one piece- clambering over rocky cambers with a drop and the bike stops and falls was terrifying.

Ultimately i'm gutted as my aim was to get a bike to get out and have fun. That is not happening now as I'm worried I'm going to seriously hurt myself.

I've been unlucky I guess, but it still hurts thinking I spent 9.5k and the admin time and hassles have just started.

Last edited:

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Points 2 and 3 are common; the battery gets stuck at 99% and it doesn't matter really, although it bugged me at first. You do have to take it off to reliably fully charge. There are lots of posts on it here. All the brands have some sort of issue but the Giants have been solid (so far after a year).

Ignore the app it's irrelevant, I haven't used it in months. A Garmin 130 or above lets you connect to the bike with eBike Field and shows the battery % and maybe you have one already?

I'd take it back with a crushed tube, but a dent isn't the same and not as bad maybe. Got a pic?. The frames are guaranteed for life anyway.

Points 4 and 5 are a definite return to LBS.

Good luck!

#JRA

Jun 2, 2022
New Zealand
I noticed it was really easy to bump the Down assist button when going over rough terrain.
I had this on my Reign E 22' and keep bumping it so much I had to move it further inwards.

Thought it was powering down too but it was actually just me.
So just saying you could remove the Bar remote and run off just the Light button on the top tube.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I noticed it was really easy to bump the Down assist button when going over rough terrain.
I had this on my Reign E 22' and keep bumping it so much I had to move it further inwards.

Thought it was powering down too but it was actually just me.
So just saying you could remove the Bar remote and run off just the Light button on the top tube.
Thanks! I thought that might be the case too. My hands are nowhere near the controller when it powers down/ off unfortunately. Noticed a weird flashing light on the LED display too and passed that on to bike shop with the bike to test.

Will know more this week I guess. Right now it's unrideable.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Some good news I think. I reset the system today and cleaned the contacts in the battery compartment. I did a ride of 60KM with lots of up and really gave the power settings a good workout. Only a few times it dropped by one power bar instead of all. I've got to admit it was the best day on a bike I've had in sometime and while this bike hates tight corners- it shreds! I rode very technical rocky stuff today and it was buzzy AF.

Clearly there is a gremlin somewhere in the electronics, and the dent is a pain in the ass, but I admitted to myself on this ride today that I'd spend another 9.5K again if I needed too. eBikes are that much fun.

Last edited:

DLSFAN

Sep 26, 2020
California
I have this same bike and have none of these issues. I’m sure the shop will take care of them. All components are warrantied for 1 year, electronics for 3 and frame for life.

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
I have the +2. Only had it 2 months/150 miles but so far, so good. Considered the +1 but it was going to be a long wait to get one in my frame size, and I post-rationalised that there was more to go wrong with the suspension electronics.

The Yamaha motor has a very different feel compared to the Bosch CX on my previous Trek Powerfly 7 - not worse, just different, and the Giant’s 5 power levels gives me more assist options, which is good.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Some good news I think. I reset the system today and cleaned the contacts in the battery compartment. I did a ride of 60KM with lots of up and really gave the power settings a good workout. Only a few times it dropped by one power bar instead of all. I've got to admit it was the best day on a bike I've had in sometime and while this bike hates tight corners- it shreds! I rode very technical rocky stuff today and it was buzzy AF.

Clearly there is a gremlin somewhere in the electronics, and the dent is a pain in the ass, but I admitted to myself on this ride today that I'd spend another 9.5K again if I needed too. eBikes are that much fun.
Hang in there mate, the LBS we bought our identical bikes off, don't want bad publicity. Firm but friendly does the trick normally. I presume you spoke to the manager?

LielyF

Apr 13, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Some good news I think. I reset the system today and cleaned the contacts in the battery compartment.

I would also recommend putting a small amount of dielectric grease on the contacts on the bike (which plug into the battery). Don't go crazy, just a light smear. I have done this from day one and no issues.

I'd also recommend checking all the rear suspension linkage bolts are tight after 100km or so.

I have the same bike as you and have given it a thrashing, so far so good.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Hang in there mate, the LBS we bought our identical bikes off, don't want bad publicity. Firm but friendly does the trick normally. I presume you spoke to the manager?
Thanks mate. I was told that this poor workmanship was normal at first and I disagreed. Giant have been contacted so I'll see what they say,

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Thanks mate. I was told that this poor workmanship was normal at first and I disagreed. Giant have been contacted so I'll see what they say,
Poor workmanship and/or poor design is never acceptable. The shop you purchased your Giant from is Giant's agent, and therefore responsible for seeing things are put right for you. It's the 'putting right' that counts.
My LBS has several Specialized owners of far more expensive MTBs than ours, with motor/power problems, and they were not happy-chappys.
No doubt other brand e-mtbs have their problems.
In my opinion, there needs to be far more R&D before new models are released, rather than banging out as many bikes as they can while demand is high.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles