Dengfu E10 - The CHEEB V1.0 - Discussion

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
VIP privilege Rob. It is the minimum in regards of your contribution to promote M500.

To me basic user they have answered "not possible" at me request to parameters adjust. I am also a lot curious to know how we can communicate with the controler. It is possible via bluettoth or it is necessary to use BESST tool (to me they have said it is not useful for final customer) ?

The BESST tool. Luna sells them and I have one and used to it to do a firmware upgrade on my M600. However it will ONLY do a firmware upgrade or sync the motor (in the case of needing a new controller) and that's it. You cannot adjust PAS settings. The 14.6 firmware for the M600 is spot on though!

Tami

Jan 19, 2021
Germany
No mtb parts (forks,shocks dt wheels)in stock last 2 months was it always like this or is it a corona thing:sick:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Corona hitting the supply chain, plus huge surge in bikes due to lockdowns and it one of the few activities you can do

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
So, the CHEEB frame has just cleared U.K. customs. It should be with me in the next few days.

Motor and battery arrived a few weeks ago. Bafang M500, 95nm, 48v system with EU 250w rating. Battery is a 840Wh huge in tube battery.

View attachment 46798 View attachment 46799

Frame:
Full Carbon frame set with fairly (by China frame standards) modern geometry.

I ordered the XL, 510mm in reach. HA is 66 degree but I will run bigger fork and mullet, so likely end up around 64.5 ish.

The frame is from Dengfu. They even supply full leverage curve, anti squat, pedal kickback etc graphs and figures! No idea of accuracy, but at least they are included

Frame is called the Dengfu E10 and here is the link. For some reason its labelled as E11 on the charts, but the Dengfu E10 is the actual product.

View attachment 46805
View attachment 46800

View attachment 46804

WHY?

Ebikes are getting crazy expensive. Many brands are hitting over £10,000 for the high end builds.

A lot of people would like to get into ebiking but the big barrier to entry can be the price.

Can an ebike be built at a reasonable cost? What if you already own a lot of parts and would like to put them towards something new?

Since frame / motor sets are pretty much non existent in the ebike world, this seems like it could be a viable option to build your own decent ebike at a very reasonable price

I want to build a full carbon 170 / 150mm travel ebike for under £4k. I’m also super curious how it’ll perform against the big dogs.

I want to see what the associated risks of doing this are.How long does it take, shipping, warranty, build etc etc.

It’ll have a RockShox Zeb, Super Deluxe ultimate, DT Swiss H1700 wheelset, Shimano 10 speed drivetrain, and yes, it all comes in at less than £4000 for a full carbon ebike with proper components.

Goal is sub 24KG. I think I can do it!

COSTS:

The frame set, battery and motor costs, including U.K. Shipping and duties had a total cost £1,694.44

Current total build cost, even including tyre sealant is £3888.55. This could further be reduced by ‘downgrading’ fork to a Lyrik, the Shock to a Select, and the wheelset to a H1900 set from DT Swiss. With that kind of setup it’ll be around £3400.

I also want to try this Bafang motor as so many people are commenting about these drive units.

I’ll keep this thread updated with build and updates.

it may ride horribly, creak, crack and fall to bits. But, it may just be a super sweet ebike at a fraction of the cost of a big brand.... stay tuned!!

View attachment 48995

You’ll need some shock hardware. The size is as follows

16.5mm x 8mm linkage
32mm x 8mm frame mount

I got mine from @Offset

you can find it here - Shock Bushings | Dengfu E10 Bafang

www.offsetbushings.com
£24

UPDATE 12/12/20

Frame has arrived and so far it seems great. Finish is good quality, cable runs seem decent. Includes headset bearings, seat tube clamp, steerer tube expanding head doctor thing (bit like Hope's version), battery release key, wheel axle, bottom battery cover that can be removed with hex keys (x4 bolts).

View attachment 46914

View attachment 46928

View attachment 46929

View attachment 46930

View attachment 46931

View attachment 49319

EDIT 1/1/2021 New Build Vid:

Does anyone know why Rob purchased the Rock Shox in 210x52,5mm and not the 210 x 55 mm? On the webside of dengfu the Rear Shock is 210x55mm. So what size would be good for the dengfu e10 frame?

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
We've had a few orders for shock bushings for the E10, so I've just made a specific product for the bike on our site.

If you need shock bushings / hardware for the E10 you can find it here - Shock Bushings | Dengfu E10 Bafang

If you want offset bushings then it's just a case of noting the frame / shock models when ordering this Offset Bushings - Pair

Cheers guys!

Jeron @ Offset Bushings
Do the shock bushings work for a RockShox 210x55 mm and also for the 210 x 52,5 mm? Or should I need offset bushings if I go for the 210 x 52,5 mm?

marcos

May 20, 2019
madrid
Bafang have got back to me.

They are preparing stronger new software for the motor and sending me the BESST tool so I can install it via a laptop.

I’ll update the thread with progress.
Greaaat :) eager to know your new impresions over the new software release ?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Let me know if you have any questions with the BESST tool. I cut and paste some general directions from the Luna forum they should apply:

FLASHING FIRMWARE

Note 1: These instructions apply to circumstances as they existed in early January. I fumbled around a lot in the process and am not able to outline the exact steps that work immediately, but the info here should enable you to get the job done. Proceed at your own risk.

Note 2: “the right COM port” (the correct COM port) did not seem to be an issue in my case. Also, sorry for the (over)abundance of detail.

1. With X-1 battery installed in your bike, open the BESST application, select offline mode (if that option is not available, see steps 3 and 4 of “INSTALLING THE BESST APPLICATION,” above)

2. Connect the BESST tool (hereafter abbreviated BT) to a USB port of PC.

3. Connect the BT’s triangular green cable ends to the bike (unplug the cable that comes out of the bike’s display and leads into the frame, and patch the BT into that path).

4. Turn on bike’s power the usual way. Note that the display will probably light up on connection to the BT, but you still need to power the bike on at battery. Click “CONNECT” in the BESST app (abbreviated hereafter as ‘BA’).

5. Choose “update” from tools menu in BA (left side of screen), then in the next screen, click the “service tool” button. You have to click connect then "read" to get the BESST tool to read the S/N of your motor. It will not update until you get it to do this.

6. Click “Get a file from local” and navigate to choose the firmware file you want to apply.

7. Click the green oval “Update” button at bottom of screen and to upload the file into BT. This goes pretty quickly; when it’s loaded you’ll hear a single beep.

8. Unplug/replug the BT from/to the cable leading into frame to start the upload to bike; the app’s red progress bar should go (pretty quickly) up to 100%, then two beeps should sound.

9. To check the (hopefully new) firmware version, hit ‘Reset’ in upper right of screen, then ‘Connect,’ then ‘Read.’ (maybe ‘Clear,’ then ‘Read’ would do?). If you don't do this, the old FW version will continue to display, regardless of whether the FW updated successfully.
Hi
do you know if it is absolutly necessary to purchase BESST tool to perform software update or home made wiring is enough ?
Bafang M500/M600 thread - Page 17 - Endless Sphere (endless-sphere.com)

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Bafang have got back to me.

They are preparing stronger new software for the motor and sending me the BESST tool so I can install it via a laptop.

I’ll update the thread with progress.
Hi rob. how we can see the software version ? i can see the controler rec (mine = CR X10H250FC 4.2) but not the soft

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
thanks. this is the rev of controler i suppose (hardware), but for the software ? how bafang have checked the software rev ?
They asked for the serial number on the bottom of the motor. I assume from this they know what firmware has been loaded onto it.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Hi
do you know if it is absolutly necessary to purchase BESST tool to perform software update or home made wiring is enough ?
Bafang M500/M600 thread - Page 17 - Endless Sphere (endless-sphere.com)

I am not aware of a homemade wiring set up and the BESST tool isn't that expensive so I would go that route. It has the added benefit of being able to sync a new controller to the motor as well (if you ever blow a controller up) (y) That would save on sending a motor in etc.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Off topic question but guys I am looking for an upper shock mount bolt for my X1, which should be identical to the one in this Dengfu E10 frame (at least it looks like it!) Would anyone have any clue where I might be able to purchase a spare? It's a specialized hollow bolt that has threads inside on one end for the other part of the countersunk screw head to screw into.....

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I think with your experience, you will be ok with making your own as shown on the other forum ?

Je pense qu'avec votre expérience, le câble que vous fabriquez fonctionnera, comme indiqué sur l'autre forum?
I have built it but i do not clearly understand all (i have difficult to isolate right information in the flow). And need to clairly understan what i do before plug. But now Rob is on the subject, that will be more clear

Crazee horse

Sep 20, 2020
Uk
Rob I never realised this was your page, your YouTube video was great as are all your videos, the build was pretty good but a lot of hard work. However that paint job...... Your just showing off!!!! ? Keep up the great content ?

marcos

May 20, 2019
madrid
Guys, read the thread, its all in there already.
Believe me, I read the whole thread, in page 19 Rob answered the seat post size. My doubt is regarding to the thickness of the frame, I not sure if a standard 34.9 fits...

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
If you order the clamp from Dengfu ( I think it comes as part of the kit of headrace, clamp and wiring retainers ) you won't have to worry about the size.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles