Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Bit of deconstruction today.

5A79E3D8-A403-4177-B877-422E17B98B2F.jpeg

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
This 100%. Check your sanding job with a solvent wipe before you put any paint down. Here in the states there's a product called Bulldog that really helps with adhesion if you're not using primer. I've done a lot of these color shift paints and I think the black carbon will do a great job of popping the color shift. Bulldog, the color shift and clear are nearly completely see through, so you should see a lot of the weave underneath.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Just buy the " Glossy" version from the factory, looks stunning in the flesh and shows just how good the layup of the carbon is. The Gloss also acts as a filler and protective barrier to the softer carbon and if you want to tart it up, then get it wrapped, cheaper and when you tire with the scheme, change it.

We ordered ours back in the summer and it arrived hassle free in about 5 weeks from order ( I was expecting months ). Bit scary though sending funds off to some private Paypal account. You can save considerable funds if you ask for it to be sent via train and pre tax's paid, saved nearly £ 150.00 for the loss of about 2 weeks.
That's all very cool. I've seen some amazing vinyl wraps. But I have never been able to do a satisfactory job on a bike myself. On the other hand, a cheap hvlp gun and waterborne paints are very satisfying and easy to do at home.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I did search for Dengfu frame testing. For what it’s worth, they do have some published ISO tests for some frames.

Dengfu say “They must pass the EN and ISO test standard in our test department to satisfy the need in your market.”

road frame

Mtb frame

whilst I cannot see test for the E10 frame, everything I see / read about Dengfu points to them being one of the better Chinese manufacturers.

Although all of this info is of course not validated by myself, just what I’ve found online.

ps - I have also seen catastrophic failure on high end commercial ebikes from big brands.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Lets face it most top end frames are made in Taiwan or China, and that has nothing to do with how good or bad they are. If you buy form a decent operation, you will be ok, if you buy from some backstreet alibaba outfit, well dont be surprised if you end up in A & E.

You can buy OEM frames from most of the big manufacturers out there.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So this got me a bit interested in who Dengfu produce / source frames for.

I did a little bit more research on Dengfu and came across a post from Michael Wang who claims to be a sales manager for Dengfu.

Here’s what he said in a sales pitch

(Dengfu are) the ODM & OEM of stevens, eddy merckx, devinci, olympia, scapin, fondriest, dynatek, olmo, bottecchia, soul, louisgarneau, quick, vivelo, stradalli, fsm, head, lios, planetx, nsr, optimum, vicar, voss, adris, sarma,frog... Just join us.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I just saw that vid earlier.
Glad Robs rear triangle looks more substantial
Also Rob's rear linkage is a far better design (similar to the Levo, etc.) - the positions of the pivots on the "failed" Chinese fake Enduro are very poorly located, and the rear triangle is almost bound to break under load.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Pretty much done

might give it a final polish and clear coat will see how it dries

Cyan / Purple colour shift. AKA Chav Vauxhall Nova ?

View attachment 47670

View attachment 47672
you probably know this already but when you are doing your final wet sanding, put a little bit of fairy liquid (other detergents are available) in the water, it will make a significant difference to the feel and general slipperyness. also, when im finish sanding something like this, I have some pieces of hard neoprene style packaging that i cut into relevant sizes. try to use these as pads and then you will have a flatter finish, if you persist with wet n dry with fingers, you can easily wear grooves into the finish that will be seen in the light, the process is much easier if you have a striplight that you can use for reflection to see where you need to sand next etc.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
you probably know this already but when you are doing your final wet sanding, put a little bit of fairy liquid (other detergents are available) in the water, it will make a significant difference to the feel and general slipperyness. also, when im finish sanding something like this, I have some pieces of hard neoprene style packaging that i cut into relevant sizes. try to use these as pads and then you will have a flatter finish, if you persist with wet n dry with fingers, you can easily wear grooves into the finish that will be seen in the light, the process is much easier if you have a striplight that you can use for reflection to see where you need to sand next etc.
Great tip thanks. I’ll definitely do this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles