My bike fell off my tow bar rack

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
These are the ties I am using now. At least I now have a product name now. "Gear Tie" by Nite Ize. The "Mega Twist 32" length is the longest and strongest one they sell and one is just long enough to do what you see in the picture in post #28 above.

Bike straps 1.jpg

Bike straps 2.jpg

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Looks cool. Unfortunately, not allowed in Europe as the bikes are obscuring your lights and number plate. Tht's why all the tow ball carriers over here have lights and a number plate on them.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
I have the Thule XT2 rack but I back the Thule bike clamps up with a Fiamma Bike Block Pro as it fully loops around the frame. It's not lockable, but between the two of them the bikes not going anywhere and the Fiamma fitting is the same diameter as the Thule tubing so its a perfect fit on the Thule rack. I just leave it permanently fitted to the rack and always use both.
fiamma-bike-block-prosd2-deep-black.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
We’ve been using this rack for a few years now with no issues.
Review - Thule Easy Fold XT .

I might be a bit concerned if we were constantly traveling up/down a mountain on gravelly roads. Highways or paved roads don’t seem to be a problem but I do the shake-test at any and every watering break 😉.

The main reason for this model was the size when its not in use. Folds up and wheels under the bench like a piece of luggage. Holds 2 eMTB’s with up to a 55” wheel base. Like Steve said, the wheel straps are surprisingly strong.

I orient the bars so the clamps grab the seat post frame rather than pinch the top tube. This method seems to ensure less chance of accidental slippage from the constant vibration. The locking mechanism seems to work fine (three) , but I still do the shake-test.

Parking lots are not that friendly and having always driven full-sized pickup trucks I’m use to taking a longer walk for a water break. But I still constantly check the side mirrors for a rear view of 2 tires extending past the taillights.

Gamer73

Jul 21, 2023
Norway
I also have that Thule easy fold. Although it was bought at least 4 years ago so probably not the newest model.

I was concerned when I read this thread that it had failed to hold the bike.

I have used my Thule platform for my e-mtb’s ever since I bought it and I have never had any issues.

I have been driving on gravel roads with bumps. Been driving on highways in up to 150km per hour (obviously speeding like I sadly tend to do by nature) and been driving on basically all roads one could think of. No issues.

I always make sure that I fasten the clamp all the way to I get those clicks telling me it will not fasten more. Then I lock it. I also ofc use the wheel clamps. I do clamp on to the upper bar of the bike (forgot what it is called). The bar that crush your balls if you should slide off your seat;)

I would never dream of adding anything in between the clamp and the frame as I would be afraid of slippage. But I don’t have carbon bikes so this is something I have not thought about.

I do have carbon rims, but I guess the plastic wheel straps don’t mess up the carbon wheels even if they are pretty tighten (the tyres are getting compressed as if I was sitting on the bike)

I could however secure the bike to that metal bar that’s part of the platform. For extra safety ofc. Maybe just zip tie the frame to that bar. It should be sufficient.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
We used the regular Thule with the eMTB’s for about a year. Gave it to my daughter and her husband when we got the Thule easy fold. Apparently some of them have a lighting system and a place to mount a license plate.

Tombie

Mar 11, 2023
Whyalla
Looks cool. Unfortunately, not allowed in Europe as the bikes are obscuring your lights and number plate. Tht's why all the tow ball carriers over here have lights and a number plate on them.

Required here too, I just don’t fit them

Gamer73

Jul 21, 2023
Norway
My Thule system has lights and a blank plastic number plate. Thule also sell number Stickers you could use on that plate, but I just wrote my car number with a waterproof thick one brush. Have not been stopped yet and it’s 4+ years. I am sure I have had cops right behind me during those years.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Required here too, I just don’t fit them
Cops might be a bit more relaxed when you live out back of beyond? I got fined for having a towball slightly obscuring my number plate AND I had off duty cops with me in the car - they couldn't talk the on duty cops out of it.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I live in Bavaria Germany, and the cops here are mostly not pleasant to deal with from my experience. They don't give warnings! So, I normally try to do things by the books. That said, my son used a self-made numberplate on his carrier recently and wasn't stopped. But maybe he wasn't seen.

Farmernz

Jun 18, 2019
Alexandra
Ive found the Thule folding rack very convenient as you can keep it in the boot for when needed, good for ringing home for a lift home after a post ride beverage etc😆 . However I did have an incident where the top clamp came of and I dragged the bike wearing the bars down, good news was the wheel straps never let go. The damage was worth more than than bike so it was written off unfortunately. I bought a new bike that is slacker and longer so doesn’t have much room on the Thule, I now add extra straps just in case!. I am considering a velocirax but it would end up on the car permanently which is no where near as convenient. Anyone else use a vertical one and have any pros or cons? Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles