My bike fell off my tow bar rack

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was on the way back from a day at Bwlch Nant yr Arian trail centre, six miles east of Aberystwyth in Wales when it happened. When I tighten the clamp on to the top tube, I always secure it with a flexible tie wrap, just in case. But I forgot on this occasion!

I was driving down that steep and twisty road into Aberystwyth when there was a loud bang. A glance in the rearview - no blue bike!!!!!. Fortunately there was no following traffic. As I slowed down I could see that there was no bike wreckage tumbling down the road, so I assumed that the bike was still attached. I jumped out and sent my grandson up the road to flag down the traffic (it was a very winding road). The top clamp had come undone and the bike had pivoted down to the road, still secured by the wheel straps. The right grip had been dragged down the road, with the tarmac acting like a belt sander! It took a while to loosen the by now extremely tight wheel straps and to upright the bike. I was amazed that the straps had not torn through, or been ripped out of their mountings (well done Thule!) I was very lucky that I was using Ergon grips because it took the brunt of the wear. The bike is still rideable, all I need to do is to smooth down the rough edges. The photo below shows clearly that the bar has been partly abraded away, but mostly protected by the alloy of the Ergon grip. Big lesson learned. Always lock the clamp, and check that the JIC tie wrap is in place!
Ground down grip.jpg

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I was on the way back from a day at Bwlch Nant yr Arian trail centre, six miles east of Aberystwyth in Wales when it happened. When I tighten the clamp on to the top tube, I always secure it with a flexible tie wrap, just in case. But I forgot on this occasion!

I was driving down that steep and twisty road into Aberystwyth when there was a loud bang. A glance in the rearview - no blue bike!!!!!. Fortunately there was no following traffic. As I slowed down I could see that there was no bike wreckage tumbling down the road, so I assumed that the bike was still attached. I jumped out and sent my grandson up the road to flag down the traffic (it was a very winding road). The top clamp had come undone and the bike had pivoted down to the road, still secured by the wheel straps. The right grip had been dragged down the road, with the tarmac acting like a belt sander! It took a while to loosen the by now extremely tight wheel straps and to upright the bike. I was amazed that the straps had not torn through, or been ripped out of their mountings (well done Thule!) I was very lucky that I was using Ergon grips because it took the brunt of the wear. The bike is still rideable, all I need to do is to smooth down the rough edges. The photo below shows clearly that the bar has been partly abraded away, but mostly protected by the alloy of the Ergon grip. Big lesson learned. Always lock the clamp, and check that the JIC tie wrap is in place!
View attachment 20262

I'm sure that you have had bigger scuffs within sherwood mate..;) That aside, a very lucky escape all round fella..

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
When I see that it reminds me why I wear expensive safety kit riding a motorbike. Especially gloves. Many a pro motorbike rider has a missing or short little finger!
Very glad that no major harm was done and especially glad nobody got hurt!

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
Glad it wasn't worse!

Could you describe how you use the securing strap / take a photo? Is it wrapped around the clamp head and top tube so they can't come apart?

I use a tow bar rack, but I've never used a strap. After seeing this I think I will!

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I had a similar fright a couple if weeks back - brain fart and didn't fit the securing pin on my folding vertical rack ( picture from their website for understanding)

at the time it swung back I was doing the ebike shuttle - driving back down the hill after dropping 4 very expensive kids conventional bikes up the top. So just my ebike got dragged down the track, and only the seat was destroyed . VERY close call.

what disturbs me most is I'd been blasting through the trails with a brain that couldn't even remember to install that pin.....

8B626E48-7855-46F7-9349-F131C7F12DB1.jpeg

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand

View attachment 20262
The exact same thing happened to me, even Ergon grips.
Except I lost half an inch off my bar, now only 710.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
It’s a while ago now but I bought an Atera rack from the roof box company, I got a blue tie down strap included but not from Atera.
I’m sure It said in the instructions with the rack that a separate strap should always be used .(although it could have been an addendum to the instructions by the roof box company.)
Anyways it gets wrapped around both bike top tubes and the top rail of the rack as a belt and braces approach .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Glad it wasn't worse!

Could you describe how you use the securing strap / take a photo? Is it wrapped around the clamp head and top tube so they can't come apart?

I use a tow bar rack, but I've never used a strap. After seeing this I think I will!

The answer to your question is yes, but I will take a pic.
Just about to leave our holiday let for a 5 hour journey home. I will take a pic before I set off and post here after I get home and unpacked.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@StealthChesnut

Here it is:
Tie Wrap.jpg

I don't know for certain what the tie wrap is made from, but best guess from how it feels and performs is that it is a tightly wound soft coil spring encased in a soft rubber. It can hold a kink, until I straighten it out. So for example, the two ends (with the yellow buttons) will stay in that position until I unwind them. I have no idea what they are called, I just saw them in the local street market and bought two.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Wow lucky escape.....'er indoors thinks I am being Anal when I go round checking the fixings and attach the extra RoofBox tie ...I also put a retainer round the tow hook and rack for double security ....Call me over cautious but Stev's experience is one of my worst nightmares.
Keep tying them on guys!o_O

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Ha!! that happened to me on Saturday too!
It was my wifes bike, and we have a 3 bike rack, hers was in the middle, so it didn't even hit the road! Wasn't a scratch on it.
It was my fault, I didn't do the clamp up tight enough, but I think that an extra strap is probably not a bad idea from now on.
I agree, the Thule wheel straps are acceptably strong.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
I always have the clamp direct to the frame. I find if you use any kind of interface to try to reduce scuffing, it will always find a way to work itself loose and that's where you can have issues. For me, best way to reduce scuffing is tape the frame where you want to clamp it. Then just clamp direct!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
View attachment 100589 I wasn’t happy with the Thule bracket as the only means of securing the bike as I’m a bit of a belt and braces man, so I fitted a extra bracket (adjustable) to the fork leg & the bikes now as solid as a rock.
Dude ! :)

I love the ladder storage area !

I think if that's the "backup" I'd also stick a strap around the back wheel nearest the shock. Ok, if there is a catastrophic failure of the primary you're not going to have long before you need to stop, but at least you might not be entering the Sordy competition of "how much did I wear off my bike today" ..

He'd be very upset if someone took his crown !

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Perhaps an unsolicited recommendation, but it's in my blood :)

I use one of these. Clamps the front wheel,

AOE4

Oct 30, 2022
idaho

View attachment 20262
My condolences.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I am certain that what caused my bike rack grip to lose its hold on the bike was the tapered top tube it was gripping. The vibration of the moving car allowed the grip to move down to a narrower cross section where the top tube could slip out. That is why I use a strap as a just in case, belt and braces fix.
Bike straps 3.jpg

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I am certain that what caused my bike rack grip to lose its hold on the bike was the tapered top tube it was gripping. The vibration of the moving car allowed the grip to move down to a narrower cross section where the top tube could slip out. That is why I use a strap as a just in case, belt and braces fix.
View attachment 119837
Are they something like these:

I've recently been putting some bungee cords between the upright of my rack and my frame as a precaution, but the things you have look a bit more substantial!

EDIT - can't seem to link the Amazon product, so have attached a screenshot instead!

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 09.57.58.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles