My 8 year old's new Stance.....

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi All

Here are some pics of my 8.5 year old on his new Stance.... yip very lucky boy and a very proud Dad at how he can tear up the trails on it!
The bike has had a few mods, changed out the fork for a Reba 150mm, Front tyre to a Maxxis Ardent 2.6, 11/42 Rear cassette.
It has been a game changer for us, we both can ride together now as almost equals, he can easily out climb me even on very technical climbs
and is getting faster and faster on the downhill trails in our area.

A 30 plus km ride with close to a 1000m of climbing is now not a problem..............Very special times the two of us have had already!
I am also very impressed with the new Giant Stance!
Cheers
Mambat

Tom 1.jpg

Tom 2.jpg

Tom 3.jpg

Tom 4.jpg

Tom 5.jpg

Tom 6.jpg

Tom 7.jpg

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi All

Here are some pics of my 8.5 year old on his new Stance.... yip very lucky boy and a very proud Dad at how he can tear up the trails on it!
The bike has had a few mods, changed out the fork for a Reba 150mm, Front tyre to a Maxxis Ardent 2.6, 11/42 Rear cassette.
It has been a game changer for us, we both can ride together now as almost equals, he can easily out climb me even on very technical climbs
and is getting faster and faster on the downhill trails in our area.

A 30 plus km ride with close to a 1000m of climbing is now not a problem..............Very special times the two of us have had already!
I am also very impressed with the new Giant Stance!
Cheers
Mambat

View attachment 7988

View attachment 7989

View attachment 7990

View attachment 7991

View attachment 7992

View attachment 7993

View attachment 7994
Thats great to see... i collected my 2019 stance e yesterday but havnt had chance to get out yet... mines the green one... what range are you getting with it and what modes??

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi Lee

My son calls your bike the Hulk ;)
Congrats you going to love it!

His range is crazy, on a ride with 28km and 890m of climbing he used 20% of the battery
and he used Sport + (Turbo) mode for the whole ride!
BUT
He weighs only 26kg! The bike itself is 24Kg so almost "pound for pound"!
By comparison I weigh around 90Kg in full kit and on the same ride using mainly Trail and Turbo
modes on my Levo (Never Eco) I used 86% of my battery :eek:

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
Its amazing watching him hit some pretty serious terrain and our local Bike Parks!
The jumps he is now clearing make me shudder :eek:

The hardest part has been setting up the suspension/sag for his lightweight.
We have done over a 100km and close to 4000m of climbing since last Saturday together (y)

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Have been trying not to buy the kids ebikes since I bought mine....my resolve is rapidly crumbling!

Desperate to spend days together exploring the Spanish and Moroccan mountains, getting to places we couldn't dream of without them. So much potential..... but must not spoil them!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
First Ebike I've ever seen that actually needs shorter cranks. ;)

Lucky wee man.

Have you thought about sticking 26" wheels on it to lower it and make it fit him better? (mega cheap upgrade if you look for S/H wheels).
Dunno what your budget is but a shock revalve and lighter 2.5w oil in the fork would probably work wonders for a rider so light.

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
Have been trying not to buy the kids ebikes since I bought mine....my resolve is rapidly crumbling!

Desperate to spend days together exploring the Spanish and Moroccan mountains, getting to places we couldn't dream of without them. So much potential..... but must not spoil them!

Hi Bissona

Time is short when we young enough and they still think you are a superhero!
Go for it mate.... I made Tom do some serious saving and sell some of his previous toys
including a PW50 motorbike before we would even think about getting an eBike.
Little did he know I had it stored already :giggle:

Just think of the adventures and memories you could have together and in such amazing
countryside as well!
I was fortunate enough to do some moto-dirtbiking in the South of Spain about ten years back.
What amazing terrain they have!!!!

Just do it!

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
First Ebike I've ever seen that actually needs shorter cranks. ;)

Lucky wee man.

Have you thought about sticking 26" wheels on it to lower it and make it fit him better? (mega cheap upgrade if you look for S/H wheels).
Dunno what your budget is but a shock revalve and lighter 2.5w oil in the fork would probably work wonders for a rider so light.

Hi Gary

Strangely enough the cranks are well suited for him, he is yet to have a pedal strike and likes the
more open leg stance on his Stance :geek:
Not a bad idea about the 26 wheels although they are becoming increasingly hard to come by here in South Africa, tyres included!

I am about to tear down his suspension, the new rear shock looks a tad dry and will go with 2.5w oil and SKF seals on the Reba.

Thanks for the advice (y)

Cheers

Mambat

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Crank length comment was more a wee joke at the expense of the many adults on here who can't time their pedal stokes quite as well as an 8yr old :LOL:

Shame you're not over here. There are always plenty good quality/condition S/H 26" wheelsets and tyres around for pennies. I still run 26" on lots of my bikes and literally have a shed full.

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
Some new pics.... My boy is really shredding on his bike!

I had to change the fork to a Pike, had the rear shock re-valved to his sub 30Kg weight and have also changed out the rims and hubs, DT Swiss 350 front and Hope Pro 4 rear.

He now rather wants to go ride than go to football!! (His previous favourite!)

469ff32d-91ab-410e-8ed7-953ab0274998.jpg

ab4015e1-36f6-4fd2-a277-a5c2efb68c36.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

Tom 1a.jpg

Tom 2a.jpg

Tom 3a.jpg

Tom Stance1.jpg

Tom Stance2.jpg

Last edited:

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
Quite a few kids emts's out there now, but all hard tails AFAIK

Breaking the law! Why can’t British kids ride eMTBs? | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Fortunately here in South Africa we have bigger concerns than kids under 14 on e-bikes!
In saying that he never rides it on his own and he never rides it on the street. Sadly no kid really rides on their own here anymore for security/safety reasons. He rides with me on our closed trails around Cape Town.

Tom is riding a full adult size small, he handles it with no problems. The only time he finds it difficult is on steep off camber trails where we may have to stop.
He has a couple of friends his age now also on e-bikes, Levos and Giant Fathoms.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles