• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered My 2019 Levo has eaten two cassettes....

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
Hey folks,

I have a 2019 Levo (base model) and recently after around 400 miles of mixed riding I had an issue with the mid range of cog on the cassette. Basically what had happened it was clicking (not skipping) and the fifth from top cog bent on one quarter and the chain wedged in between the cogs during a ride. Safe to say that ride was over! I also noticed that one of the teeth has snapped off...not sure if this was when the chain was jammed or before. (image attached)

As I was away I had to bite the bullet and I bought a like for like replacement cassette from a LBS (SRAM PG-1130, 11-speed, 11-42t at twice the cost as Chain Reaction) All was fine until yesterday when I noticed the mid range gear started clicking again. I stopped and looked to see that the exact same thing had happened! (no snapped teeth however) I continued the ride in the low gears to get me back to the car and avoid the chain becoming wedged again.

Worth noting that this new cassette is 3 rides old totaling no more that 50 miles of riding (two trail center and one canal ride). I've not called the LBS yet but I'm tempted to take it off and give it little tap to straighten it. Mainly due to speaking to the LBS regarding the previous one they said it would not be a warranty claim cause its a consumable part.

I'd like to think that these parts are not so consumable that I need to buy a new one every few rides and that Specilized would use them. My friend has the comp with the same and he commutes everyday and has not had this issue.

Has anyone had a similar issue? The rear mech looks ok and the gears seem to run true...i'm a bit stumped. Is this fitted Sram cassette crap? If anyone has had the issue did you upgrade?

Happening once i'd take as a freak mistake but not a second time!

I will take a pic of the new one when I have the bike in front of me but if anyone has had this would be good to see how it was resolved.

Cheers

J

COG.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Like @kendo it is outside my experience.

The only thing I can offer is to recommend that you buy a Shimano cassette from CRC. They come with a two-year warranty. I believe it's a deal between CRC and Shimano as they don't offer this with anybody else.
I claimed when the cassette spider that was holding the gears together failed. The rivets had sheared. All I had to do was to fill in the claim forms and add a picture. I was issued a refund within a week. :)

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
in 2010 my swoks stumpy came with avid xx cassette, very very expensive. Tooth chipped after a few hundred miles, replaced with same lasted 2 rides! So pissed. Switched to xt.
On my new levo it uses xd driver,sram shifter deralieur so switch is involved and pricey. Anyway first cassette did ok for 1k miles then 9 and 10 wouldn't shift right for a few hundred miles. Brand new cheapo xg cassete seemed ok but then last week woudn't hold first gear so hopefully just b screw came off a bit.
tldr : get xt

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
Have to say, in all my years of biking and that's too many to mention I have never seen this. Breaking a tooth like that takes blunt force or a major manufacturing fault. Make sure you don't have any bent or warped links on your chain and the quick link is fully shut. Other than that it is the most unusual thing I've seen in quite a time. Even the torque from your motor would have snapped the chain before a sprocket tooth.
Hey,
I I have been riding none ebikes for years and I have never had this happen and I can say that I have put them through some strain! I will have a look over the chain...Maybe there is an issue there. Cheers

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
Like @kendo it is outside my experience.

The only thing I can offer is to recommend that you buy a Shimano cassette from CRC. They come with a two-year warranty. I believe it's a deal between CRC and Shimano as they don't offer this with anybody else.
I claimed when the cassette spider that was holding the gears together failed. The rivets had sheared. All I had to do was to fill in the claim forms and add a picture. I was issued a refund within a week. :)

Ye I spotted that this morning when I was looking for a alternative. I defiantly think I will give an alt brand a try as I think im going to have get a new one (again)
Good that the honor that refund quickly as well!!

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
in 2010 my swoks stumpy came with avid xx cassette, very very expensive. Tooth chipped after a few hundred miles, replaced with same lasted 2 rides! So pissed. Switched to xt.
On my new levo it uses xd driver,sram shifter deralieur so switch is involved and pricey. Anyway first cassette did ok for 1k miles then 9 and 10 wouldn't shift right for a few hundred miles. Brand new cheapo xg cassete seemed ok but then last week woudn't hold first gear so hopefully just b screw came off a bit.
tldr : get xt
hmmm so it sounds like it can happen. I think I will just give the LBS a call and ask if they can offer some advice. I dont wanna end up spending more money on the bike when I have only had it 9 months hahah
Sorry to hear you had similar issue :-( Hopefully its riding well now?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
i will find out this morning, i cleaned/waxed the chain and it shifts perfectly on the stand. If i could get 7 or 8 hundred miles with it i'd be ok with it

I put what turned out to be my 4th chain on a cassette and it too worked flawlessly on the workstand. I was in a rush so I didn't do what I normally do after a change like that and test it on the road outside. The following day out with my mates was a disaster. The chain just would not transmit any power without skipping with an almighty bang. Fortunately there was a bike shop in the car park and I was able to buy a cassette. Equally fortunately, one of my mates travels with what looks like a complete workshop in the boot of his car and I was quickly able to swap cassettes.

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
I also had that with SRAM cassette on my Levo. Berkshire Cycles have seen a few of them. Since replaced with Shimano SLX and no issues.
Ace thanks for the advice Rob! Makes me wonder if its a known issue why do they fit them as standard...I’m assuming its small number of faults. I’ll look into the SLX, just wish i had a Berkshire Cycles near me haha

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I used to frequently bend sram HG cassette sprockets on DH bikes.
I also used to crack the individual 13-15t sprockets.
Never ever had the same issue with a Shimano cassette. (although I have seen bent Shmano HG cassette sprockets too)

The fact that you've done it to two cassettes and one of them after only 3 rides I'd be checking everything else in your drivetrain too. Especially the chain (check every pin and plate is as it should be) and thoroughly check your derrailleur and it's alignment/adjustment and that your hanger is true. and check B-tension and indexing are absolutely spot on. (makes way more difference on an Eeb than a regular bike)

I'd also warranty both cassettes and just sell the replacement cassettes to recoup what you paid for your new shimano cassette.

also... If you haven't already it would be worth spending time adapting your shifting technique so you always shift cleanly timed with a reduced pedalling force through the cranks and shifting when the motor assistance drops rather than (ever) under power. This is good practice on all Emtbs and will massively increase the life of cassettes/chains. planning ahead helps massively too but if you find yourself in a situation where you need to shift under power it's often better to up the assist level first to gain momentum so you can get a clean unloaded shift in.

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
I used to frequently bend sram HG cassette sprockets on DH bikes.
I also used to crack the individual 13-15t sprockets.
Never ever had the same issue with a Shimano cassette. (although I have seen bent Shmano HG cassette sprockets too)

The fact that you've done it to two cassettes and one of them after only 3 rides I'd be checking everything else in your drivetrain too. Especially the chain (check every pin and plate is as it should be) and thoroughly check your derrailleur and it's alignment/adjustment and that your hanger is true. and check B-tension and indexing are absolutely spot on. (makes way more difference on an Eeb than a regular bike)

I'd also warranty both cassettes and just sell the replacement cassettes to recoup what you paid for your new shimano cassette.

also... If you haven't already it would be worth spending time adapting your shifting technique so you always shift cleanly timed with a reduced pedalling force through the cranks and shifting when the motor assistance drops rather than (ever) under power. This is good practice on all Emtbs and will massively increase the life of cassettes/chains. planning ahead helps massively too but if you find yourself in a situation where you need to shift under power it's often better to up the assist level first to gain momentum so you can get a clean unloaded shift in.
i know when i first got the bike i was super excited to have power and my shifting was not the best. Especially coming from “analog” lol. I have since then tried to be kinder, maybe this is the reason for my issue on my first one. Before this second one i gave the drivetrain a bloody clean (contrary to the above picture) and it ran true and still did. I’ll give the bike shop and shout tomorrow, annoying they are 100 miles away...
Weekend job for me...give it the once over! I appreciate your time, response and advice
Cheers

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
I also had that with SRAM cassette on my Levo. Berkshire Cycles have seen a few of them. Since replaced with Shimano SLX and no issues.
Hey Rob (or anyone) Noob questions but the SLX cassette are they compatible with the Sram Nx that comes stock with the Levo? My brief net research has come up bust.
Appreciate the help
J

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just wanting to back up also on the shifting, crucial that your chain and indexing is set right and lubed. Change gear crisply well before any climbs and don't try and shift more than one gear at a time, if you do especially on climbs E-bikes will just tear through your cassette and jump and crunch all over the place.
changing more than one gear at a time is absolutely fine so long as you've eased off and the motor isn't forcing a loaded shift. Planning ahead is obviuosly important here.
All this one click E bike specific shifter shit is nothing more than nannying for any experienced rider.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Obviously knows sod all....you are the chief nanny here, I've been doing xc, downhill and enduro comps for over 35 years and ridden all kinds of ebikes
So... You've been doing DH and enduro competitions since before either discipline was even invented?
I guess being the only guy there you must've been world champ?
Not quite the same feat as Sam Hill managed but bravo anyway ;)

chain is always under load when changing to higher in a drive mode.
No it isn't.
(when moving) it's perfectly possible to turn a crank, chain and freewheel without driving the wheel. ie. unloaded. on any derrailleur driven gearing system motor or not.
Have you thought about paying for a skills course champ?

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
So... You've been doing DH and enduro competitions since before either discipline was even invented?
I guess being the only guy there you must've been world champ?
Not quite the same feat as Sam Hill managed but bravo anyway ;)

XC racing has been going on for 35 years and DH for more than 30 years...over 30 years ago John Tomac won both the XC and DH titles, which is still an insane accomplishment. So I'm gonna call his claim that he's been racing for about 35 years "close enough". I did my first race 32 years ago.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
) it's perfectly possible to turn a crank, chain and freewheel without driving the wheel. ie. unloaded. on any derrailleur driven gearing system motor or not.
definitely, that is the technique needed for smooth and quick uninterrupted drive, and sometimes i have it, but it is harder to get a consistent smooth shift with the ebike

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
XC racing has been going on for 35 years and DH for more than 30 years...over 30 years ago John Tomac won both the XC and DH titles, which is still an insane accomplishment. So I'm gonna call his claim that he's been racing for about 35 years "close enough". I did my first race 32 years ago.
You'd think on 35 years of "racing" one would work out how to change gears smoothly.
I first raced push bikes over 35years ago too. I'm not gonna claim I was racing DH or Enduro tho.
Oh.. And I worked out how to change gears smoothly well before that.. You sort of had to with friction shifters.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Hey folks,

I have a 2019 Levo (base model) and recently after around 400 miles of mixed riding I had an issue with the mid range of cog on the cassette. Basically what had happened it was clicking (not skipping) and the fifth from top cog bent on one quarter and the chain wedged in between the cogs during a ride. Safe to say that ride was over! I also noticed that one of the teeth has snapped off...not sure if this was when the chain was jammed or before. (image attached)

As I was away I had to bite the bullet and I bought a like for like replacement cassette from a LBS (SRAM PG-1130, 11-speed, 11-42t at twice the cost as Chain Reaction) All was fine until yesterday when I noticed the mid range gear started clicking again. I stopped and looked to see that the exact same thing had happened! (no snapped teeth however) I continued the ride in the low gears to get me back to the car and avoid the chain becoming wedged again.

Worth noting that this new cassette is 3 rides old totaling no more that 50 miles of riding (two trail center and one canal ride). I've not called the LBS yet but I'm tempted to take it off and give it little tap to straighten it. Mainly due to speaking to the LBS regarding the previous one they said it would not be a warranty claim cause its a consumable part.

I'd like to think that these parts are not so consumable that I need to buy a new one every few rides and that Specilized would use them. My friend has the comp with the same and he commutes everyday and has not had this issue.

Has anyone had a similar issue? The rear mech looks ok and the gears seem to run true...i'm a bit stumped. Is this fitted Sram cassette crap? If anyone has had the issue did you upgrade?

Happening once i'd take as a freak mistake but not a second time!

I will take a pic of the new one when I have the bike in front of me but if anyone has had this would be good to see how it was resolved.

Cheers

J

View attachment 21591
This is totally normal for a SRAM 11 speed cassette while shifting under full power.

I bend and break teeth on all my PG 1130’s at some time. I on rare occasions have little sympathy for my divetrain. Pull it off and bash straight with a hammer.
I’m going to change to 10 speed at some stage in hope of stronger cassettes. I could change the way I shift, but it’s a habit on the eMtb.

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Obviously knows sod all....you are the chief nanny here, I've been doing xc, downhill and enduro comps for over 35 years and ridden all kinds of ebikes - stick to one gear shifting on an ebike apart on the odd occasion you can skip two on the downhill...chain is always under load when changing to higher in a drive mode.

Hang on, I'll grab a chair and some popcorn, this is gonna be good!

MadDash

Oct 24, 2019
Connecticut USA
Went through 3 Cassettes on my 17' s-works Levo in about 7000 miles. In an honest effort to make the bike as light as possible, Specialized went overboard on the ultra-light cassette. There's way too much torque on that drive train for light cassettes. Switched to the hardened steel cassette which lasted longer. Also, I'd agree with a previous post, that you need to check the chain and probably swap it out with the next cassette as you could've stretched the chain, or, work the chain bearings.
Looking out ahead and planning your shifting is important on these bikes, this way you never loading up on the drive train. 8-10 gears on these would be much better. Levo's don't need 11 gears, IMO. I researched going to 8-speed on my old Levo but it was more than I wanted to deal with.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Went through 3 Cassettes on my 17' s-works Levo in about 7000 miles. In an honest effort to make the bike as light as possible, Specialized went overboard on the ultra-light cassette. There's way too much torque on that drive train for light cassettes. Switched to the hardened steel cassette which lasted longer. Also, I'd agree with a previous post, that you need to check the chain and probably swap it out with the next cassette as you could've stretched the chain, or, work the chain bearings.
Looking out ahead and planning your shifting is important on these bikes, this way you never loading up on the drive train. 8-10 gears on these would be much better. Levo's don't need 11 gears, IMO. I researched going to 8-speed on my old Levo but it was more than I wanted to deal with.

I agree, 7-8 speeds would be spot on, like you my Merida doesn't need or use all 11, hopefully manufacturers will realise this and make a robust 7-8 speed drive system and a cassette that can easily be retro-fitted into 11 speed bikes without too much hassle or cost.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I agree, 7-8 speeds would be spot on, like you my Merida doesn't need or use all 11, hopefully manufacturers will realise this and make a robust 7-8 speed drive system and a cassette that can easily be retro-fitted into 11 speed bikes without too much hassle or cost.
So I'm in process of ordering Slx 11 to 42 and I'm told HBDT4193 freehub body fits the roval wheel on levo expert 19 model. 10 to 42 xg cassette on at present, won't be that much difference will there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles