My 2019 kenevo's cassette just broke off the hub?!

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
Got a flat today and pulled the wheel off and the hub broke off at the cassette and hit the ground. Anybody else's levo or kenevo have the same issue?
Then I had to ride home on the rim because of an emergency and just pulled the trigger on a set of Reynolds tr 367 e's to replace the ones I trashed. anyone rolled these yet? Had some enves in the past and loved them but half the price and all the quality from another great US company and I figured what the heck., I'll give them a try.
Love this kenevo, but that's 3 garbage components within the first few months I replaced... The WU dropper, the butcher tires (terrible in wet, and blew out the sidewall in both), and now the rear hub. Stupid bike rides like a glorious bat out of hell on the DH though so I can't wait to put her back together!

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Got a flat today and pulled the wheel off and the hub broke off at the cassette and hit the ground. Anybody else's levo or kenevo have the same issue?
Then I had to ride home on the rim because of an emergency and just pulled the trigger on a set of Reynolds tr 367 e's to replace the ones I trashed. anyone rolled these yet? Had some enves in the past and loved them but half the price and all the quality from another great US company and I figured what the heck., I'll give them a try.
Love this kenevo, but that's 3 garbage components within the first few months I replaced... The WU dropper, the butcher tires (terrible in wet, and blew out the sidewall in both), and now the rear hub. Stupid bike rides like a glorious bat out of hell on the DH though so I can't wait to put her back together!

The kenevo is a dream! Bike..
It finnally fullfiled my dream of a downhill capable bike, that I could pedal uphill! And trail ride too!
But it's a beast, on components and on the pocket$$$?
Slowly having to change, upgrade about everything on it..
Like you mentioned, better tires ( + cushcore), better brakes, better pedals, shorter cranks, chains, and the next I think..the hubs..
But I'm verry happy with my setup now! It it rides like a bat out of hell! Totaly had to re-learn/ adjust/ improve my skillset to keep up with it?
But now im happy as a clam!?
IMG_20190620_085505.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had the same fault on a Whyte T130 C RS. I removed the wheel and the 12-speed cassette fell onto the floor. The axle had sheared clean through. The shear faces must have been rubbing together slightly because they looked like they had been machined. It was so convincing that I had to think about it for a minute to be certain that it was a fault. It was my first experience with 12-speed. This was after only 158 miles.
I took the wheel and cassette back to the LBS (Rutland Cycling). The mechanic said that he had never seen anything like it before. The bits were sent back to Whyte and the whole thing was turned round within 7 days. Everything was replaced with new, and the hub axle was replaced with a steel one instead of alloy. Two pics below showing both ends.
Eagle non drive side inner.jpg

Eagle drive side inner.jpg

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
I had the same fault on a Whyte T130 C RS. I removed the wheel and the 12-speed cassette fell onto the floor. The axle had sheared clean through. The shear faces must have been rubbing together slightly because they looked like they had been machined. It was so convincing that I had to think about it for a minute to be certain that it was a fault. It was my first experience with 12-speed. This was after only 158 miles.
I took the wheel and cassette back to the LBS (Rutland Cycling). The mechanic said that he had never seen anything like it before. The bits were sent back to Whyte and the whole thing was turned round within 7 days. Everything was replaced with new, and the hub axle was replaced with a steel one instead of alloy. Two pics below showing both ends.
View attachment 15216

View attachment 15217
That's EXACTLY what mine looks like. In order to ride the bike home, I had to squeeze the cassette pawls back into the the depression in the wheel, fit it into the dropouts without it wobbling off, then tighten the axle on it, just so I could coast the flat tire 3 miles downhill to catch a ride. It was ugly. I'd return it to the dealer I got it from, but I'm away from home for another month and can't live without riding, so I just bit the bullet and got shimano drivetrain stuff on the Reynolds wheels.

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
The kenevo is a dream! Bike..
It finnally fullfiled my dream of a downhill capable bike, that I could pedal uphill! And trail ride too!
But it's a beast, on components and on the pocket$$$?
Slowly having to change, upgrade about everything on it..
Like you mentioned, better tires ( + cushcore), better brakes, better pedals, shorter cranks, chains, and the next I think..the hubs..
But I'm verry happy with my setup now! It it rides like a bat out of hell! Totaly had to re-learn/ adjust/ improve my skillset to keep up with it?
But now im happy as a clam!? View attachment 15203
Where did you pick up the cranks? I wanted to get 165's but when I contacted praxis they told me they only sold carbon after markets for over $200 and only made aluminums for stock kenevos sold from shops!

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
I have the same bike and have also swapped out the wheels, tyres and wu dropper and the bike is a dream now!
Those 2.8 butchers are dangerous on a heavy ebike, I had a rear one blow out and it nearly killed me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles