mullet Meta!

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
added a fox 36 29er fork with a magic Mary 29x2.6 tire and a mm 27.5x2.6 rear. bike tracks amazing now and eats roots up. I also like that it raised the bb height- I was always scraping my bb but not anymore. really happy with the changes and how this bike rides
20190522_162133.jpg

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
I am going the other way, I have a Meta Power 29, I am just about to put a 27.5 wheel on the back with a 2.6 tyre, trying to slacken the head angle a bit more and perhaps make it slightly more manorverable on steep/tight turns. My only concern is that the BB will be very low and cause some more pedal strikes although most pedal strikes are down to poor technique as you shouldn't be trying to put a full crank in when riding over very rough terrain or charging through a corner. I will measure the height of the BB from the ground to the centre with both the 29er and 27.5 rear wheels to compare.
It may be a case of running the bike as a mullet-bike for e-powered shuttle days and putting the 29er back on for long days out in varying terrain.
I will post some pics and info up when I make the change.

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
First ride out on the Mullet, felt great, no negatives, the slacker head angle worked for me on the steep chutes and felt better in tight corners too.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
First ride out on the Mullet, felt great, no negatives, the slacker head angle worked for me on the steep chutes and felt better in tight corners too.
To avoid getting a (much) lower BB there are other means to achieve a slacker fork angle. Have you considered mounting an angle set as opposed to the standard headset? Or maybe offset bushings for the shock?
You can find angle sets like the ones from Cane Creek or Works Components
You can find offset bushings at All Products

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
To avoid getting a (much) lower BB there are other means to achieve a slacker fork angle. Have you considered mounting an angle set as opposed to the standard headset? Or maybe offset bushings for the shock?
You can find angle sets like the ones from Cane Creek or Works Components
You can find offset bushings at All Products
I purchased a Works Components angle set head set to use on it but the steerer tube has been cut that short from the factory that I can't use it, even with a stem with the lowest stack height it won't fit. The issue I was having was also down to struggling with the big wheel at the back and the type of trails that are now common place in Scotland being steep with very tight turns running all the way down them, the smaller wheel at the back helped and the lower BB felt great too, I never had a pedal strike on it and had no more belly strikes on the motor than usual (due to the depth of the holes either in front of or behind rocks and roots). I managed to get a wheel, tyre and NX Eagle cassette all new for £200 so not bad really. The bike now feels closer in ride dynamics to my previous Canyon spectral:ON and rides really well, I prefer it to my mates E-Sommet now which is another awesome bike.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
added a fox 36 29er fork with a magic Mary 29x2.6 tire and a mm 27.5x2.6 rear. bike tracks amazing now and eats roots up. I also like that it raised the bb height- I was always scraping my bb but not anymore. really happy with the changes and how this bike rides
View attachment 14188
I know it’s an old thread and you might not have the Meta anymore but what travel of 29 fork did you use? I’m running my 2018 Meta 27 with 170 fork and trying to decide if 150 or 160 29er fork should I go with.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
I know it’s an old thread and you might not have the Meta anymore but what travel of 29 fork did you use? I’m running my 2018 Meta 27 with 170 fork and trying to decide if 150 or 160 29er fork should I go with.
My sx originally came with a 180 mm travel 27.5 lyrik. I went with a 170 fox 38 for my 29 wheel I added. Thought going a bit shorter in travel would help offset the larger wheel

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
My sx originally came with a 180 mm travel 27.5 lyrik. I went with a 170 fox 38 for my 29 wheel I added. Thought going a bit shorter in travel would help offset the larger wheel
Exactly what I'm doing. Commencal said a 160 29 Fox 38 would give the same angles as the existing 180 27.5 Fox 38, but I'm going to try the 170 first. I have the fork, now just need the mullet wheel set. Hopefully next month.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Exactly what I'm doing. Commencal said a 160 29 Fox 38 would give the same angles as the existing 180 27.5 Fox 38, but I'm going to try the 170 first. I have the fork, now just need the mullet wheel set. Hopefully next month.
With my ‘regular’ Meta I went with a 160 Lyrik I found on bikemart. It will give ~30mm more stack height than 27,5/170 and I’ll compensate it with upside down stem and a lower rise handlebar. I bought a DT Swiss EX 511 rim and just lace it to the existing hub.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
With my ‘regular’ Meta I went with a 160 Lyrik I found on bikemart. It will give ~30mm more stack height than 27,5/170 and I’ll compensate it with upside down stem and a lower rise handlebar. I bought a DT Swiss EX 511 rim and just lace it to the existing hub.
Yes getting a new rim and lace it to existing hub would certainly work as well. I'm currently saving up for carbon rims though. I was going to put these on at some point, and was just waiting/saving to see if I was going to mullet the bike first. Been riding it for 3 months now, and I think I'm pretty set on doing the mullet conversion.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles