Review Mudhugger Rear LARGE

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Good hack. If it does not last change the mudhugger rear for a mudhugger FRX plus extender. It protects the bike well and is more secure...especially if you drop the bike. It gives a little less rider protection though.
Yes, agreed. I had that setup previously, but ran a second guard to keep me dry, which worked, but nothing like the mud hugger long.

I've crash tested the long quite extensively already and other than a few scratches, it's still in one piece.

At certain angles I wouldn’t even have spotted those mudguards.

Yes, if you face away from the bike, you can hardly tell ? But I know what you mean, it does kind of blend away depending on the background.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Cover those links with a lizard skin?
20200218_073503.jpg

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you think about it the bigger the mudguard the more mud that gets channeled by the mudguard to the chain stay bridge.....most mud grabbed by the tyre flies off from the top of the tyre circumference .

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The wh guard is probably the best solution, but it's designed to bolt on using the 2019/20 motor mount bolts. There aren't any there on the 2019 kenevo.

I guess you could still use it and mount it the way I did. I think his MK2 uses a zip tie, but probably doesn't have the holes to attach, but they're easy to make. I've added a loose zip tie through the front linkages to try to stop it slipping forward.... Probably easier to slim it down though ?

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Guys is the Mudhugger 29 THE BEST rear mudguard for 29'ers? Looking to buy something good today to stop my rucksack getting sprayed with mud.

Also for the front is the Crudcatcher XL the daddy?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm quite amazed how well it works ! No more crap on my back, jacket, helmet. Or all the crap that somehow gets spun forwards and goes everywhere else.

There's the SMALL/MEDIUM & LARGE, so make sure you get one big enough. Some people have said before they've had to add the extended to stop all the mud.

Crudcatcher XL on the front is well rated. I have the Mudhugger FRX which is a bit short for stopping a lot of the crap, probably ok with the new front extender. The crudcatcher would be a lot more effective.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
I'm quite amazed how well it works ! No more crap on my back, jacket, helmet. Or all the crap that somehow gets spun forwards and goes everywhere else.

There's the SMALL/MEDIUM & LARGE, so make sure you get one big enough. Some people have said before they've had to add the extended to stop all the mud.

Crudcatcher XL on the front is well rated. I have the Mudhugger FRX which is a bit short for stopping a lot of the crap, probably ok with the new front extender. The crudcatcher would be a lot more effective.
Your helpful insight is always appreciated Zimmy! :)

EDIT - I ordered the Mudhugger 29er for the rear and the Crud XL for the front. Should be a big improvement over my current cheapie ones as I got a lot of spatters on my back and mud on my bike today!

Last edited:

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
FFS.. I ordered a "Mudhugger 29er" at my local store and it didn't say if it was a medium or large and it turns out its a damn medium which is designed for 29er hardtails. I take it I need the Large size for my Cube Stereo Hybrid 29er? :(

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
They only did one size when I bought mine. It was great on my Powerfly with 27.5+ tyres but not so good on my Rail with 29ers.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I bought the Mudhugger FRX direct from the Mudhugger website....fitted as a rear mudguard on my Levo. Really liked it so bought another for my wife's Cube Access. Also bought the extender for both. Last week I wrecked my mudhugger. Mudhugger said if you buy direct from them they give you 50% discount on a replacement if you break yours in a crash. So bought another at half price. That and the fact it only ever takes 2 days between order and delivery is 1st Class Service.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
FFS.. I ordered a "Mudhugger 29er" at my local store and it didn't say if it was a medium or large and it turns out its a damn medium which is designed for 29er hardtails. I take it I need the Large size for my Cube Stereo Hybrid 29er? :(

The "Medium" is what was the 29er - which was the largest they made. The "large" is the latest one and gives a bit more length, but is primarily intended for bikes with a lower chainstay as it comes around further. Ideally just rest it on your bike and see how it sits. You'll probably find it's perfect as it is, I think the Cube stay comes up quite high.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
The "Medium" is what was the 29er - which was the largest they made. The "large" is the latest one and gives a bit more length, but is primarily intended for bikes with a lower chainstay as it comes around further. Ideally just rest it on your bike and see how it sits. You'll probably find it's perfect as it is, I think the Cube stay comes up quite high.
The problem is if I mount it and try it then I can't return it, Mind you, it would fit on my friends bike... hmm...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Had the bike upside down today for maintenance and noticed that the mudguard had bounced enough to catch the tyre. For how rigid the "large" feels, with it's extra weight and re-enforcing compared to the "medium" I really didn't think it would have managed to flap about enough to touch the tyre. Not a problem, was just interesting !

mudhugger.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm contemplating doing the same. However, I have a few concerns;
1; Is taking the mudguard off tempting fate?
2; Will the heavens open and rain for 40 days and 40 nights?
3; Will it be my fault?
4; I haven't ridden this bike without the mudguards, will I floss my arse with the back tyre the first time I go off a drop?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Don't you pretty much live in South Wales?
Wasn't Noah a Welshman?
3; Will it be my fault?
Probably
4; I haven't ridden this bike without the mudguards, will I floss my arse with the back tyre the first time I go off a drop?
Only if you're a pussy and leave the drop hanging far too far off the back of the bike ;)

I like questionaires me :geek:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm contemplating doing the same. However, I have a few concerns;
3; Will it be my fault?
Yes.yes.yes. hopefully yes, but if you have your camera positioned correctly in anticipation, you could win a new go pro

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Neiljk
911ABDD9-AB3E-425B-A699-9C3F71AC3883.jpeg

Had a double check the date of your post wasn't April 1st

That has to be hands down the ugliest Esommet I've ever seen. aproaching Haibike levels of aesthetic beauty. Right down to the extra long badly routed cables and extra long hoses your attention to detail is sublime.
I think all it's missing to truely set it off is red and purple spokey dokeys.
I honestly can't stop looking at it.
Chapeau!

Neiljk

Nov 28, 2019
Uk
It sure is fugly, no doubt about that but then no one buys a Vitus for its looks....

It’s basically in functional commuter trim right now. At some point I’ll buy something with a nice DH fork on it like the Kenevo.

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
Keeping mine on for now, it's been great for keeping the worst of the crap off my arse and back.

It's big and ugly but does the job, especially useful for commuting (remember that...?)

Ndp78

Apr 21, 2020
Bedfordshire
I used a mudhugger front guard (with extender) and a old splash guard to really keep everything out of that area, works really well.

Probably will just take off the extender and leave the rest on there as I dare say with out weather there will be plenty of wet/damp rides

4E52ECF1-A35C-4E32-B03D-821C26D9F051.jpeg

D5BC6489-FBDE-411A-8B34-7681C7BA3E0B.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles