Review Mudhugger Rear LARGE

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
Got the mudhuggers large and frx front. Aesthetically it’s like having a great big yellow spot on your forehead. But it does the job. Although I can’t help but think I’ll be buying another frx front to cover the rear properly like @Tribey has done

B573D15E-1A15-4C24-964F-5A83D51654F0.jpeg

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Product Image: View attachment 24675

Product name: Mudhugger Rear LARGE
Price paid: £30
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: Mudguards are ugly.. Bikes look simple and sleek. Once you adorn them with sticky out crap they loose their visual balance.

Unfortunately, when it's wet and muddy, that sleek bike gets covered in crap and all it's pretty little ,obscenely expensive, moving parts get crap in and wear faster. Plus, the rider gets covered in crap, unless you're sensible and slow down or do your best to avoid mud and wet. I'm dumb, I don't.

For me, I don't really like the bike overly covered in crap, though sometimes it's just unavoidable. I'm also not a fan of having a soaking wet arse and mud being thrown forwards over the bars, phone,display,laptop... everything ..

The mudhugger rear's already been pretty extensively reviewed.

Here is the "Medium" - previously the 29 :

Mudhugger FRX and rear 29er mudguard - EMTB Forums

210g, 640mm long and 140mm stays.

The latest addition to the range is the "Large" :

LARGE Rear Mudhugger

285g, 760mm long and 160mm stays.

Some people like the look, I'm not a fan .. Making something which was ugly even bigger makes it even uglier .. but if you're going to have ugly, you might as well have effective ugly !

I've attached it on top as intended, but having seen @MrTeno2U 's inverted fitting technique, I might swap it round and try that. If mounting your rear spoiler in a hanging fashion works for Koenigsegg, then maybe fixing my mudhugger on the underside will work for me.

Mr T's method with bonus zip tie bling.

Mudhugger FRX and rear 29er mudguard - EMTB Forums

So, the large .. well, it's - to quote "for the modern full suspension bikes that have low seat stay angles of 26 deg down to 22 deg. This is an extra long Hugger that is designed to be trimmed down to fit your bike perfectly. Think Specialized Turbo Levo, Kenevo, most Pivot, Nukeproof bikes, Santa Cruz, Lapierre and Yeti full suss bikes."

It's long enough to keep the rider dry and anyone else within 10 meters of the bike :)

Mine seems to have a twist in from transportation. I tried repeatedly holding it the other way but it always springs back twisted. I brought it into the house last night and it straightened itself out with the extra warmth. Unfortunately, it settle back into it's twisted shape once it had cooled back down to zero. So some more manipulation is required there.

Hellitape is supplied to protect your stays. It was too cold to apply it this morning and I was short on time, so that's a job for later.

Installed :

View attachment 24803

Then took it out for a quick ride in search of mud and water ..

A crap picture, but rode up here as fast as possible for 300 meters :

View attachment 24804

And after - hardly any forward spray and splash. Apart from the expected front splash, I was dry.

View attachment 24805

After some more mud .. good results .. Some crap is getting through to the lower linkage area, but no more than when I had the "mudhugger front" on the back. Ideally it still wants a second guard to stop that too.

View attachment 24806
I think that’s an MOFO UGLY mudguard, it hurts my eyes !!! The clip on to the stem DeFender I have is bearable to me ... just bearable haha

03520E75-4020-434D-B863-93F94A2860BF.jpeg

natwilaniwartri

Jul 1, 2020
scottish borders
well when i was waiting for my scottish loan for my 2020 cube back in sept bought in 10th of dec i went for cubes own blue and black shame not ones to match the bike the picture is first day riding from the shop in rain Scottish borders

IMG_20191210_121952381.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
well when i was waiting for my scottish loan for my 2020 cube back in sept bought in 10th of dec i went for cubes own blue and black shame not ones to match the bike the picture is first day riding from the shop in rain Scottish borders

View attachment 35345
I tried those last year :

They definately help. The front one I put a sticky backed foam pad on the top side to stop it flapping against the bike and eventually gave up with that and cut it back. The rear was the same. On the HT and the Kenevo, if you were going for it there was a huge amount of flex and you'd hear it flapping about. If you looked on the underside you could see where the back tyre was nicely cleaning one part of it :)

The front one cracked in the end on crash 4,729 . The rear was retired for the Mug hugger long which, whilst ugly at first sight, works amazingly well as a mud guard - though amazingly the end also manages to flap about and gets tyre cleaned - even though it seems impossible if you try and flex it.

natwilaniwartri

Jul 1, 2020
scottish borders
I tried those last year :

They definately help. The front one I put a sticky backed foam pad on the top side to stop it flapping against the bike and eventually gave up with that and cut it back. The rear was the same. On the HT and the Kenevo, if you were going for it there was a huge amount of flex and you'd hear it flapping about. If you looked on the underside you could see where the back tyre was nicely cleaning one part of it :)

The front one cracked in the end on crash 4,729 . The rear was retired for the Mug hugger long which, whilst ugly at first sight, works amazingly well as a mud guard - though amazingly the end also manages to flap about and gets tyre cleaned - even though it seems impossible if you try and flex it.
........ i did spend like few months looking so ended up with cube ones , i liked them so thought get matching set look nice ,........ i hates wee tiny ones that can get and i think depends upon the frame of the bike as my front one is were frame of the battery sites long it so keeps the cover if need to take of for the battery is less shity if dident have it in landscape of scotland like on first day rainy as hell and went up and dawn muddy farms hills thinking this way home haha so i think if dident have i may been like mud monster , ...............only main change i done to bike is add custom skin to frame and also twin bottle cadge ........also as looking for ebike and stuff i not really joined forum before only week or so ago ,............ ................only other thing i like look at is back rack that will fit over the the mud guard but i like to take of eath with clips or un clip of with out having take mud guard off

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Got the mudhuggers large and frx front. Aesthetically it’s like having a great big yellow spot on your forehead. But it does the job. Although I can’t help but think I’ll be buying another frx front to cover the rear properly like @Tribey has done

View attachment 35322
They start looking better once you figure out how well they work. Looks good to me!

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
I bought two of the large rears , one for me and one for the missus , When they arrived I showed them to her , I probably shouldn't repeat what she said on a forum :D
needless to say they are are still in the box in the garage.
:rolleyes:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I bought two of the large rears , one for me and one for the missus , When they arrived I showed them to her , I probably shouldn't repeat what she said on a forum :D
needless to say they are are still in the box in the garage.
:rolleyes:
You did tell her it was for the bike and doesn't attach to her back ? :ROFLMAO:

When I first saw one , I just thought .. THERE IS NO WAY I'M PUTTING ONE OF THEM ON MY BIKE !

I looks like some add on to make your bike look like a 1950's Cadillac !! :)

After trying numerous alternatives I gave in .. You don't really notice it after a few days, you visually acclimatise. If you take it off, your bike looks really weird like half of it's missing !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If its appearance bothers you whilst you are riding, you are probably sitting on your bike backwards..............................that could also account for some of your crashes!
I hadn't thought of that .. so it's not supposed to be rear wheel steer ? But it turns so sharp ! It's also a far easier solution than swapping the brakes from UK/Euro spec. left/right..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles