Other Mud Guards and Bike Protection Suggestions please

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Pricey but highly effective... I've bought one for each of the four ebikes I own. If you want to protect your 5k to 12k investment it's a drop in the bucket.
Ordered full set today. Now have a distribution center for guards if anyone interested. Muppets-r-me

Last edited:

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I'm surprised no one else has said this. I have used the SICOMTB mudguard on three Levos and one SL. It is hands down the best way to protect your motor from mud, and your pivot joint from wear. I could care less if I get mud on my back, I'm only concerned with protecting my bike and extending it's life. The SICOMTB and a short front mudguard do the trick perfectly. I'm currently running them on my 2020 Sworks Levo and my 2020 Expert Carbon SL. View attachment 40564

I am plotting to do similar setup... in the meantime I inverted my front mudguard.
I will see this week if it is effective protection in this important area.
IMG_5639.jpg

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
Sorry EME, I think I may have confused you
The ebay link is for a central coast mudguard.
This is a mudhugger:
Big and ugly, but the most effective way to keep mud off your back
Also available from many other online shops

Using them both together prevents mud from building up on the little shelf behind the rear wheel and working its way into the motor area

My bike last Jan:

img_20200105_135153-jpg.24078

img_20200105_135202-jpg.24079

I opened up the side of my motor last week to fit a new power cable, and it looked almost spotless
Hi Pyr0
Have you got a clean pic of your mudguard set up? Cheers

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
It's not pricey when you realize that it is keeping mud and grime out of the engine compartment and keeping rocks out of the rear pivot.
So they really need such protecting? I’ve only just taken receipt of mine. It’s at the shop getting invisi frame then I’ll get a guard on it. I was considering 2 x rapid racer fenders which look like they might do the same job?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Must admit, the mudhugger did not work well on my Stilus so have moved on to a Crud XL..
Not properly tried out yet but will report back.
The front Crud XL Fender is excellent though and really stops face and battery catch cover getting covered.
View attachment 40137
I've just ordered this , thanks for the heads up, i couldn't stand the look of the mud hugger any longer, and be warned the tie wraps will eat through even heli tape :rolleyes: Looking forward to sticking this on (y)(y)

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
So they really need such protecting? I’ve only just taken receipt of mine. It’s at the shop getting invisi frame then I’ll get a guard on it. I was considering 2 x rapid racer fenders which look like they might do the same job?

I’m much more concerned about protecting my bike than I am with keeping my butt clean. I’ve used the Sicomtb mudguards on four different ebikes.

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
I’m much more concerned about protecting my bike than I am with keeping my butt clean. I’ve used the Sicomtb mudguards on four different ebikes.
Yeah, me too, I get that. I was talking about the fenders they do that you cable tie in near the wheels. They look like they would fit in the same places as the Sicomtb does but without the 50 price tag.
These are the ones I’m talking about.
I imagine they’d go on the top and bottom of the rear triangle and just cable ties together to make a longer version of that one.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Hi Pyr0
Have you got a clean pic of your mudguard set up? Cheers
Hi kaj,
I think this was the most recent photo when I still had the Mudhugger and central coast mudguards fitted:
IMG_20200325_124330.jpg

At the moment I'm not using the Mudhugger though and have a clip on SKS X-Blade instead for commuting when it's wet instead.

Last edited:

Will Hesch

Dec 3, 2019
Hi
Having really enjoyed my 2020 TL Comp for the first 3 months of ownership there are a few aesthetic changes I fell I should make . The bike itself is more than enough for a person of my capabilities but I would like to protect both myself and it as the weather changes. It has seen neither mud nor rain yet, although stones and gravel have given me, and her, a few hits.

There seems a plethora of mud-guards out there but which are the best in your opinion for front & rear?

Conversely I have seen no TL specific 'bike protection' kits from stones & he like. Does anyone know of any.

Thanks
Eme, I'm partial to our solution for keeping dirt, mud, rocks and general stuff out of the engine/linkage interface. It also keeps some of the seat tube clean. It's a simple install, should take a few minutes and we've sold 813 of them since last November so folks seem to be liking them. You can purchase them here

20200627_185402.jpg
20200627_185507.jpg
20200627_185546.jpg
20200717_174640.jpg
20200717_174839.jpg
20200829_171443(1).jpg

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
Must admit, the mudhugger did not work well on my Stilus so have moved on to a Crud XL..
Not properly tried out yet but will report back.
The front Crud XL Fender is excellent though and really stops face and battery catch cover getting covered.
View attachment 40137
How did this go for you? I had it on my Scott spark RC XC bike and even with 100mm of suspension it was hitting the crud guard on the tyre.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
A couple of cheapie fenders works a treat for me although I had to trim a little around the chain. No abrasion issues as they move at the gap where they overlap with plenty of room for full sus travel. Only adds about 1mm to the inside with zip ties done up properly so no mud/clearance issues. The biggest issue was small stones being dragged along the drive chain into the chain guard and jamming against the frame but that's stopped now - but could also be because I adjusted the chainguard after fitting a 36 front chainring. My Loam Shelf has never been so clean! Got another standard fender up front too - total cost of about £12 for all 3.

Got a mudhugger on order that I'll leave on for the next 3 months (for proper British weather) but this works for 9 out of 12 months.

IMG_20201027_123318254.jpg

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
you can modify the chain guide so that it takes near enough the normal position. Bit of sawing on the inside part of it. Its a bit more temperamental though, mine keeps moving round and getting out of position.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
You spent between five and twelve thousand for your bike.... get off $80 to protect it and avoid problems... SICOMTB!

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
I will go for this one: Specialized Turbo Levo

guard.jpg

That is if I got some cash left to spend after the expected 700 euro price raise for the TLComp... :cautious: (though it was ordered months ago).
Edit: picked up my bike today (Nov 13th) and my LBS didn't even mention the price raise from Specialized, so I ordered the above.

Last edited:

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
How did this go for you? I had it on my Scott spark RC XC bike and even with 100mm of suspension it was hitting the crud guard on the tyre.
Mine hits the tyre, on near full compression, its a shame because its a cracking piece of kit otherwise, nice and clean and keeps all the crap of your back. I guess it depends on the bike design if it works or not.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I used Mudhugger shorty's on both front and rear on my 2019 Turbo Levo. I had to cut the one in the rear to allow it to fit above the cross brace on the seat stays. It has about 2cm of clearance but doesn't cover the lower section near the pivot. I just used some rubber from an old inner tube, zip tied to the seatpost and inserted between the rear triangle and pivot to protect the pivot area from mud entering the motor case. Worked great last season and zero problems so far this season.

IMG_20201102_123751.jpg

IMG_20201102_121413.jpg

IMG_20201102_123815.jpg

IMG_20201102_121656.jpg

IMG_20201102_121644.jpg

IMG_20201102_123751.jpg

IMG_20200107_191754.jpg

IMG_20201102_123832.jpg

IMG_20200107_191647.jpg

IMG_20201102_123852.jpg

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
What front fender is that? Why did you take the mudhugger off?
The front fender is either a medium or small (can't remember which one was fitted in the photo, but I'm using the small one now) RRP proguard bolt on, that fits certain forks:

I removed the mudhugger because its ugly and it wasn't needed when the weather improved and I stopped riding in mud.
It will probably be refitted again (if it's still muddy) when we're out of lockdown and I start riding properly again.

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
So I’ve just been out for the first sloppy ride. I’ve hosed it down gently and avoided the motor area as much as possible. Is that about the best you can do? Do you need to be in all the cracks around the motor with a little brush to dry it out or just let it drip dry?

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
I've developed my own 'little routine' after wet / muddy rides ( not as bad as some you see on here) and gentle wash downs .
1) Gentle spray from garden house to remove the mud.
2) Dry with a cheap noisy pet dryer
3) Clean the bike and mech 'dry' with cassette cleaners / etc ( I cover the brakes on rare occasions I degrease the mech), I use Decathlon dry 'washing' spray but loads of others

No idea what I m doing right but no battery or motor issues ... yet.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Hi
Having really enjoyed my 2020 TL Comp for the first 3 months of ownership there are a few aesthetic changes I fell I should make . The bike itself is more than enough for a person of my capabilities but I would like to protect both myself and it as the weather changes. It has seen neither mud nor rain yet, although stones and gravel have given me, and her, a few hits.

There seems a plethora of mud-guards out there but which are the best in your opinion for front & rear?

Conversely I have seen no TL specific 'bike protection' kits from stones & he like. Does anyone know of any.

Thanks

You need to understand what the purpose of the "mud guard" is. The reason I use the SICOMTB is that it protects the bike not the rider. If you ride in mud and grit, you bike can be damaged in two ways.... First, small rocks and grit will get into the pivot joint and cause damage. Second, mud and dirt get into the motor compartment. The SICOMTB is, based on my experience the best way to protect your very expensive bicycle in these areas. Most of the other solutions protect your butt from getting mud on it but do nothing for your bike. I could care less about getting mud on my butt, but I care deeply about my very expensive bicycles.

Reactions: EME

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Large RRP front and rear for me, it took some fettling to get on the back but works well. I leave them on all year around as the extra weight is no problem with Epower.
57EDF6AE-1B70-48EB-93BD-DC3E64ED6E6A.jpeg

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
IMG_7197.jpg

I have experimented with a number of mud-huggers, and I have reduced the amount of mud collected on my back-side considerably.

However, I thought I would share this pic as it is very interesting to see the mud pattern, accumulating on the ‘cleaner side’ of the fenders.

Fenders are doing the job, but it could be improved.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles