Other Mud Guards and Bike Protection Suggestions please

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Hi
Having really enjoyed my 2020 TL Comp for the first 3 months of ownership there are a few aesthetic changes I fell I should make . The bike itself is more than enough for a person of my capabilities but I would like to protect both myself and it as the weather changes. It has seen neither mud nor rain yet, although stones and gravel have given me, and her, a few hits.

There seems a plethora of mud-guards out there but which are the best in your opinion for front & rear?

Conversely I have seen no TL specific 'bike protection' kits from stones & he like. Does anyone know of any.

Thanks

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
invisiframe do a protection tape kit for the Levo. Took a couple of hours to fit, but was pretty easy

One of these together with a large mudhugger rear is the best solution i found for the back, but the mudhugger is big and ugly
Specialized Turbo Levo rear mudguard for 2019/2020/2021 models | eBay

I currently have a small RRP bolt on at the front
Thanks very much for the suggestions. much appreciated.

You are right its ugly but anything hat protects my toy is worth it .. ugly or otherwise.
The prospect of my concentrating for a couple of hours to fit the tape kit sounds horrendous .. eek!

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Some shops will fit an invisiframe kit, but mine wouldn't, stating they didn't have a clean-room.
I did it in my living room with carpeted floors and a nosey cat without any issues.
As long as you follow the instructions, clean/degrease the bike beforehand and use the soapy water solution, the pieces are easy to position and fit.

I used the mudhugger last winter, but then swapped to a clip on SKS x-blade guard for summer.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@Pyr0 I purchased the Mudhugger yesterday, thank you, and the gentleman who owns the company kindly wrote to me explaining how to fit. He also asked that I ( or anyone else I assume) send him photos of their TL with the guards fitted for his website gallery . Contact details are [email protected] , which is in the public domain on his site.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Sorry EME, I think I may have confused you
The ebay link is for a central coast mudguard.
This is a mudhugger:
Big and ugly, but the most effective way to keep mud off your back
Also available from many other online shops

Using them both together prevents mud from building up on the little shelf behind the rear wheel and working its way into the motor area

My bike last Jan:

img_20200105_135153-jpg.24078

img_20200105_135202-jpg.24079

I opened up the side of my motor last week to fit a new power cable, and it looked almost spotless

Last edited:

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@Pyr0 :) None so dim as those , like me, who do not read properly!

Ill have a good selection in any case!

3dp

Aug 26, 2020
Stalyvegas
Have the longer version of the mudhugger (or it’ll be going back on at some point in September - ugly a F - but Even on filthiest day stops 95% of the mud spray up the back - Not a cool look but also prevent ass tyre bites on those techy descents!!

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Ill get back o the mudguards later in the week but, with much assistance from Mrs Me, who has he patience of Job, managed to get the Invisiframe fitted today. Absolutely delighted with the results As @Rob Rides EMTB points out in his install video , it is fiddly but everything is precision cut and does work. Took us 2 ½ hours but at least an hour of that was head scratching as there are a couple of issues.

1) The first part they suggest installing is the Right Chain Stay. That is disconcerting as my 2020 has rubber protection and the cutout is just wrong!
2) We never did work out where the 2nd "Lower seat post" sticker goes answers on a postcard to invisiframe please!

Other comments I'd make ..
a) we double the concentration of shampoo recommended to 10ml per 800 ml for the first couple of stickers. which means that's all we ever used.
b) Its a lot easier in higher temperatures.
c) Don't start changing brake pads an hour later .. follow the instructions and leave well alone !
d) Totally remove the chain
e) Do it asap after new -- I was amazed how many nicks I found with a really clean bike.

Thanks for the recommendation -- mudguards to follow.

IMG_1373.jpeg IMG_1374.jpeg

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
You need to remove the chainstay protector to fit the invisiframe section.
Can you post a picture of the "Lower seat post" sticker?

Reactions: EME

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
You need to remove the chainstay protector to fit the invisiframe section.
Can you post a picture of the "Lower seat post" sticker?
Im afraid Ive binned it now .. it didnt seem to go where you suggest but if we should have removed something then that could well be it.

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
Must admit, the mudhugger did not work well on my Stilus so have moved on to a Crud XL..
Not properly tried out yet but will report back.
The front Crud XL Fender is excellent though and really stops face and battery catch cover getting covered.
IMG_20200912_124036.jpg

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@EME
Did you put invisiframe over the turbo logo by the back wheel?
I think this might be the lower seat post sticker.
Yes. We covered that with the other piece that said « back lower seat post ». It was the very non symmetrical one we failed with.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Last winter I ran a Mudhugger rear guard on the *front*. It worked REALLY well. I have been unhappy with the performance of pretty much every front fender. I don't even understand why people run those tiny 6-10" front guards. Even the Mudhugger front guard with the extension allowed too much spray hit my chest and face. I had a spare rear guard, so I gave it a shot. Another nice aspect is it's super stiff.

I've run the Mudhugger large rear fender for a few years and it's been flawless. But it does nothing at all for the area around the lower pivot. For that I have the Sicomtb DUALGUARD.

EDIT: to clarify I run the Mudhugger stuff only in Winter. I leave the Dualguard installed at all times. Even when it's dry, all kinds of crap tends to accumulate in the pivot area and it's stopped all the chips I was getting in the paint from rock strikes.

Boranup

Nov 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
The sicomtb front guard is a great piece of kit and is bolted to your forks which is neat, mine works best without the spacers provided.

On the rear we applied mastic (thick vinyl) and that does a wonderful job of keeping stuff out and added rock protection

6F0BFA1B-DC9D-46B0-90CD-F8EC93155904.jpeg

F9BDD929-D5AE-4CBB-A2EF-9F3732C31B68.jpeg

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
A friend of mine has one of these on his Levo. It works great for keeping the gunk out of the motor/lower pivot area while being almost unnoticeable. Since we're coming up to the end of the season when I expect more we sections I've just ordered one for myself.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Last winter I ran a Mudhugger rear guard on the *front*. It worked REALLY well. I have been unhappy with the performance of pretty much every front fender. I don't even understand why people run those tiny 6-10" front guards. Even the Mudhugger front guard with the extension allowed too much spray hit my chest and face. I had a spare rear guard, so I gave it a shot. Another nice aspect is it's super stiff.

I've run the Mudhugger large rear fender for a few years and it's been flawless. But it does nothing at all for the area around the lower pivot. For that I have the Sicomtb DUALGUARD.

EDIT: to clarify I run the Mudhugger stuff only in Winter. I leave the Dualguard installed at all times. Even when it's dry, all kinds of crap tends to accumulate in the pivot area and it's stopped all the chips I was getting in the paint from rock strikes.
If you've ever destroyed your stantions on one muddy stony ride you'll understand why people run the short guards all year round. Keeps mud and grit off the seals!???

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
A friend of mine has one of these on his Levo. It works great for keeping the gunk out of the motor/lower pivot area while being almost unnoticeable. Since we're coming up to the end of the season when I expect more we sections I've just ordered one for myself.
this seems like "the best" solution so far. thanks for posting.

ecotrials

Sep 9, 2019
Lafayette, CA, USA
Ill get back o the mudguards later in the week but, with much assistance from Mrs Me, who has he patience of Job, managed to get the Invisiframe fitted today. Absolutely delighted with the results As @Rob Rides EMTB points out in his install video , it is fiddly but everything is precision cut and does work. Took us 2 ½ hours but at least an hour of that was head scratching as there are a couple of issues.

1) The first part they suggest installing is the Right Chain Stay. That is disconcerting as my 2020 has rubber protection and the cutout is just wrong!
2) We never did work out where the 2nd "Lower seat post" sticker goes answers on a postcard to invisiframe please!

Other comments I'd make ..
a) we double the concentration of shampoo recommended to 10ml per 800 ml for the first couple of stickers. which means that's all we ever used.
b) Its a lot easier in higher temperatures.
c) Don't start changing brake pads an hour later .. follow the instructions and leave well alone !
d) Totally remove the chain
e) Do it asap after new -- I was amazed how many nicks I found with a really clean bike.

Thanks for the recommendation -- mudguards to follow.

View attachment 40135 View attachment 40134
Is that the Spuce color? Every pic I've seen has a different hue? If it is, is the finish gloss or matte? It looks like you used the gloss version.
Did you have to remove the stickers to get no air space around the stickers?
Thanx so much for any info. I'm hoping LBS calls with good news in the next week or two.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@Bigtuna00 Oh bother, (f/b******) I didn't look at that !
Thanks . In true e-mtb forum style , do you think I can blame everyone else for my own lack of checking/realism?

Only joking of corse .. my own fault. Ill Move on .

Begs the question, best 'boltable' for a Rock Shoxx Lyric?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I've never found a bolt-on for RockShox. I imagine it's because there's no place for bolts :) And that's probably because Fox has a patent or some crap.

The Mudhugger front is VERY sturdy even with zip ties. The Mudhugger rear mounted on the front is even MORE sturdy, if you can get past the aesthetics, it works really well.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
I've never found a bolt-on for RockShox. I imagine it's because there's no place for bolts :) And that's probably because Fox has a patent or some crap.

The Mudhugger front is VERY sturdy even with zip ties. The Mudhugger rear mounted on the front is even MORE sturdy, if you can get past the aesthetics, it works really well.
Thanks
Oh dear , another development opportunity for our engineers. They'll ignore me by tomorrow night.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I'm surprised no one else has said this. I have used the SICOMTB mudguard on three Levos and one SL. It is hands down the best way to protect your motor from mud, and your pivot joint from wear. I could care less if I get mud on my back, I'm only concerned with protecting my bike and extending it's life. The SICOMTB and a short front mudguard do the trick perfectly. I'm currently running them on my 2020 Sworks Levo and my 2020 Expert Carbon SL.
IMG_2026.jpg

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
I'm surprised no one else has said this. I have used the SICOMTB mudguard on three Levos and one SL. It is hands down the best way to protect your motor from mud, and your pivot joint from wear. I could care less if I get mud on my back, I'm only concerned with protecting my bike and extending it's life. The SICOMTB and a short front mudguard do the trick perfectly. I'm currently running them on my 2020 Sworks Levo and my 2020 Expert Carbon SL. View attachment 40564
this looks perfect...pricey...but perfect. Thanks.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I'm surprised no one else has said this.

Someone did say it :p But more votes is better!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles