MTB Clothing

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Am I the only one that finds MTB clothing a bit of a challenge? Prices are ludicrous, and sizing is all over the place.
Currently I am looking for shorts. I wear Leatt DBX padded shorts underneath my bike shorts so need a bit of slack in size but I also wear knee pads and most shorts I find are too....short. OK stood up but a gap between the knee pad and shorts leg when sat on the bike. Thinking of going for 3/4 length. What do you guys use?

I wear Leatt impact shorts underneath as well, i find no issues with leatt pants, they go pass the knees for me, both the 3.0 and 4.0 are great.

the secret to MTB gear is to buy previous season. i just ordered two Yeti long sleeve jerseys at 70% off....doesnt matter to me one bit its previous season gear

stevemars680

Sep 21, 2020
Netherlands
One of those posting mentioned that he didn't want to appear as though he "had all the gear....etc".

I can fully understand that approach, but with respect it is flawed. I used to have the same attitude to personal protection. I wore a helmet, but I would not wear knee or elbow guards because I thought they made me look as though I thought I was good enough to get into harms way. I wasn't at all; I was bad enough to NEED the protection, but too concerned about what people thought to actually wear it. So I picked up a lot of scars and endured too many days off the bike waiting to heal. I have a more mature attitude now, well slightly anyhow.

My approach to "all the gear...etc" is to "go grunge". If your kit is manky enough, nobody can tell whether it has a logo on it or not, or even how old it is. By now most of my kit not only looks manky but is so old that all the logos have worn off. A new piece of clothing might stand out for a short while, but it is lost in the general appearance like fortnite store. My Shimano merch AM42 boots have Gorilla tape all over them to hold the wrap over top cover together (after too many pedal strikes). I have a new pair in the wings and when eventually I need them, I might start them off by blacking out the white stripe! (never did like that).
yes you are absolutely right about it.

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
Am I the only one that finds MTB clothing a bit of a challenge? Prices are ludicrous, and sizing is all over the place.
Currently I am looking for shorts. I wear Leatt DBX padded shorts underneath my bike shorts so need a bit of slack in size but I also wear knee pads and most shorts I find are too....short. OK stood up but a gap between the knee pad and shorts leg when sat on the bike. Thinking of going for 3/4 length. What do you guys use?
Endura Hummvee shorts for me are great, long enough (I'm 6"2) and built in liner short with a pad. Loads of pockets with zips etc. Yes they're a bit expensive at around £55 but they are good quality.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Any suggestions on the most breathable jerseys? I tend to over heat easily on the bike. I'm running Fox Flexair at the moment and they're pretty good. But summer is around the corner and I'm after the most breathable jersey I can get. I have a preference for short sleeve but maybe I should wear a tank top style although I know I'll take the skin off my shoulders that way.

Gordon

Bacalao

Oct 24, 2019
SoCal
Here in the USA I'm a big fan of Zoic gear. They sell it all. Shorts, liners, tops, etc. I especially like how their shorts/pants and liners integrate.

My personal favorite shorts are the Black Market 9". At $60 IMO a very good value. I'm not a big fan of long shorts to and past the knees. They have other shorts of all lengths, above and below knee.

Their liners start at $35. They stay up and are all day comfortable.
My favorite jersey is the Dialed 3 / 4 Jersey with breathable tech fabric.

No I don't work for them. Yes I would buy their products again and plan too. I hope this info is helpful.

Sumolord

Dec 10, 2020
Los Angles, CA
I prefer to use Lycra bibs under MTB shorts. The padded underwear don’t seem that comfortable and I have plenty of bibs for the road. You can get fairly well made clothing on Amazon for a decent price. Finding suitable MTB pants seems a chore!

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve gone through phases of different brands over the years. Have had some Fox, Endura, Altura, TLD... but my favourite at the moment is Gore.

I’ve got a few pairs of shorts, bib tights, some T-shirt’s, a Windstopper jacket, and some GoreTex gear (shorts / trousers / jackets).

Its not cheap, but it’s great quality... and fits me really well. The shorts are a nice fit - not too baggy, but big enough to go over undershorts and knee pads. The GoreTex stuff is awesome.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles