Mr Tuffy Tyre liners

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
For anyone who likes using tubes and wants a bit of protection, these arrived today. Perhaps the info on back will be useful to someone.
I can’t say how good they are yet as I’ve only had one ride (with a wrong sized one) hence I’ve ordered these larger ones for future use just in case.

FFBE090C-8D75-44B3-9E3C-5059B8CFC78F.jpeg
67ACF443-A573-47CC-8B7F-3A7AB6618CF8.jpeg
6B245AB8-5EDA-4C1A-B228-DE8EB5FC5414.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think you previously said these were half the weight of Tannus ? Is that still the case now you have the correct sized ones ??

Be interesting to see how you get on with Trail Stings ..

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I think you previously said these were half the weight of Tannus ? Is that still the case now you have the correct sized ones ??

Be interesting to see how you get on with Trail Stings ..

Just for you Zimmer, I’ve put them both on the kitchen scales.
Single Tannus armour 326g
Single XL2 Mr Tuffy 112g
Single (smaller purple one) 145g

I’m rather puzzled why the larger Lime one weighs less than the smaller purple one. And it feels much thinner too. Very odd.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
So basically the Mr Tuffy 29 x (2.35-3.0) is much wider but is 23% lighter and feels much thinner than the 29 x (2.0 - 2.5) version.

I don’t understand the logic in this at all unless the larger one is made of a different material. It seems so thin that a mosquito could get through it.
I’ll certainly report back what happens as without any liners I’m averaging one puncture every 50 miles

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Interested to hear how these work for you as I've been considering purchasing some kind of tyre liners.

I’ve just put one on the front wheel tonight. My hopes are not high judging by the thinness of the material but we will soon find out.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I'd be interested to see how you get on with these. The price is 50% cheaper than Tannus (if they come as a pair). How easy was the install? I have read some reviews that have said the insert itself has caused punctures due to it pinching the tube

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I’ve covered a lot of distance with Tuffy’s and they are very effective. At some point I started using Panasonic Panaracer Flataway aramid liners. I can’t say which is more effective maybe Flataway is a smidge lighter and more durable but was just my impression years ago.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I’ve covered a lot of distance with Tuffy’s and they are very effective. At some point I started using Panasonic Panaracer Flataway aramid liners. I can’t say which is more effective maybe Flataway is a smidge lighter and more durable but was just my impression years ago.
Hmmm not seen these before. I can find ones that fit 29inch wheel but i'm unsure of the width

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
All I can say so far with Mr Tuffy is make sure you get the right width. I originally used the purple ones (max 2.5) but I really needed the next size up (2.35-3.00) as my tyres are 2.6

After a single ride the wrong sized ones were not in the correct position or had slipped to the side and the edge of them was already starting to slice its way through the tube.

The larger ones seemed to go in well and there is no room for them to slip around. Fingers crossed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles