Moustache Samedi 27 Race 9

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Wow. I took this one out today for some proper muddy trails. Bosch motor, carbon frame, 160mm front and rear. This is a very playful bike. I'm taking it to a trail centre tomorrow to give it a bit of a workout. First impressions are very positive!

DSCF5832.jpg

DSCF5827.jpg
DSCF5841.jpg
DSCF5826.jpg
DSCF5824.jpg
DSCF5820.jpg
DSCF5836.jpg
DSCF5843.jpg
DSCF5839.jpg
DSCF5837.jpg

Last edited:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
They look really nice. They were on my list when I was looking for an ebike. Unfortunately I didn’t get to try one out.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
They look really nice. They were on my list when I was looking for an ebike. Unfortunately I didn’t get to try one out.
It is a really great package that they’ve put together. It feels quite light, possibly that Bosch is a fair bit lighter than my Brose.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Think the Bosch is the heaviest motor by quite a chunk isn’t it? 4.xxx kilos
The weight is all in the right place though and the rest of the bike is pretty light.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Think the Bosch is the heaviest motor by quite a chunk isn’t it? 4.xxx kilos
The weight is all in the right place though and the rest of the bike is pretty light.
Maybe it is! Need to double check!

Yep they’ve got the weight distribution dialled. I’m going to weight it vs the Levo. It seemed a fair bit lighter when riding.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Are e-bikeshop the crew that will only sell you certain items if you bought a bike from them?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Are e-bikeshop the crew that will only sell you certain items if you bought a bike from them?
No idea. What were you looking at?
Nothing specific, but in one of my many web searches when I'm supposed to be working I came across them and spotted this;
Please Note: This product is only available to customers who purchased their bike direct from us. This part is held in stock and is available to our customers for a quick and convenient solution. We do not supply this product to those who have bought their bikes from others.
Just seems a bit petty to me.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hey Rob, nice review.

Now that you have tried the Bosch CX's 75Nm of torque do you think that perhaps Brose are somewhat overstating their figures of 90 Nm ?

Because if they are correct with 90Nm, then Bosch must be seriously understating at 75Nm?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Possibly, but it could also be how it’s applied. Feels to me like the Bosch has a more violent torque curve compared to the Brose.

I’d need a back to back comparison to tell.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Nothing specific, but in one of my many web searches when I'm supposed to be working I came across them and spotted this;

Just seems a bit petty to me.

Please Note: This product is only available to customers who purchased their bike direct from us. This part is held in stock and is available to our customers for a quick and convenient solution. We do not supply this product to those who have bought their bikes from others.

I'm sure they are really nice people to deal with :unsure: but with an attitude like that I guess I will never get to find out. :confused:

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
Hi Rob,

How did the Bosch compare to your usual Brose when you hit the15mph limit? The way some people describe it is like putting the brakes on.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob,

How did the Bosch compare to your usual Brose when you hit the15mph limit? The way some people describe it is like putting the brakes on.
Definitely not like putting the brakes on. Honestly, unless I rode them back to back I doubt I would even notice. The main thing you notice is the noise with the Bosch. When the noise disappears it’s because you’ve reached the motor limit - that is more noticeable than the motor cutting out.

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
Definitely not like putting the brakes on. Honestly, unless I rode them back to back I doubt I would even notice. The main thing you notice is the noise with the Bosch. When the noise disappears it’s because you’ve reached the motor limit - that is more noticeable than the motor cutting out.
Thanks Rob, now if Cube would hurry up and release the 2018 bikes I can get going ?

Coastsider

Aug 24, 2018
Montara, California
I have the Race 8, same bike but Alloy (carbon rims and suspension linkage) instead of full Carbon frame. These bikes are just awesome, balanced, powerful and top shelf components. My only minor gripe was the dropper post which I swopped out for a hydraulic RockShox Reverb. I also now have Cromag Fubars intead of the original Moustache bars. Price here in the States was about $6500.

IKYNp8IkRs69ryNEVGYU6w.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I rode one of these for four hours on a trail I knew well. It was the first eBike that I liked. But it was still only about the 5th I had ever thrown a leg over, but the third one I had ridden seriously.

Everybody I met on the trail loved the way it looked, and it sure is a good looking bike. So why didn't I buy one? Couple of reasons really. I was still early in my search for an eBike and I wasn't ready to actually buy one as I hadn't tried enough at that point. The next reason was the Bosch motor. I was always thinking about which mode I was in, but that was probably down to my inexperience with eBikes. The third reason was how draggy the motor was. When I got to a level stretch of tarmac, I tried to see how fast I could go. I put it in turbo (boost..whatever, the fast one). I topped out at 17.7mph. I just could not go any faster. Errr.. four reasons, the motor was so noisy!! Everyone I came up behind all knew I was on an eBike, just from the noise alone.
So it was the Bosch motor that put me off. :(
If only that bike had a Shimano Steps motor. :cool: I know that now.

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
Looking at this bike,but a bit confused with size. I am 5,10 and they recommend a M size, they state,M is until 6
But looking at geometry, my current Cube is a L size and top tube is 62 cm,reach 44 cm,stack 62,5 cm ,seat tube 47 cm and wheelbase 123,6 cm
Moustache numbers M size are:top tube 60 cm,reach 44 cm,stack 61,seat tube 44 cm and wheelbase 120,4
I think M size would be a bit small and should go for a L size, now running a 35mm stem and Moustache is running a 50-60 mm stem but don’t think is proper for that kind of bike. How about you guys? Anyone with similar figures?
Thanks

Marcus 8

Jan 7, 2019
Versailles
Yes I have MOUSTACHE R8, concerning your previous question, I think it's difficult to only have a point of view from the dimensions. For sure datas are interesting for comparison but at the end the feeling you have on board are the best one. Did you had a postural assessment to know exactly what's should be the best size for you ? Some people prefer to ride on shorter bike for a better agility and some other prefer a longer one for comfort. Depends on your feeling on the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles