Mountain biking since 1982

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My height ridden and mileage covered have been declining for the last 4 years (knee problems). Since my first emtb (4 weeks now), I have stopped that trend and I hope to reverse it during the rest of this year. And more importantly, riding more miles with friends. :D

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I started riding mountain bikes in 1990, because I needed more cardio training for BMX racing and road bikes were so goddamed boring.
Now at 43, Emtbs have made mountain biking more fun than it’s ever been

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
1982! Holy cow, that is a while ago! I was on a horrible road bike.. probably a 10 speed back then. Got my first MTB in about 1987 I guess. an Eclipse despatcher. Still riding that one as a train station bike. The geometry is horrible.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
1982! Holy cow, that is a while ago! I was on a horrible road bike.. probably a 10 speed back then. Got my first MTB in about 1987 I guess. an Eclipse despatcher. Still riding that one as a train station bike. The geometry is horrible.

Bikes have gotten a lot better; I’m old but not a retro-grouch. My first mountain bike was a Jamis Dakota bought in a backpacking store because most real bike shops thought that mountain bikes were toys.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Bikes have gotten a lot better; I’m old but not a retro-grouch. My first mountain bike was a Jamis Dakota bought in a backpacking store because most real bike shops thought that mountain bikes were toys.
Yep, there was some resistance to them. Like there was / is to eMtbs!?
I got mine from some small underground bike shop in London when I was working there. I just remember having to go down stairs into a cellar.

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
1982, 5 speed freewheels, 35 pound mountain bikes with steel fork: This geezer thought his Diamond Back Apex was pretty cool then but laughable now....I'm guessing that 40 years from now we'll be laughing about current crop of Levo's, Bull's, Haibikes, etc. Bikes will probably be levitating by then! Wayne

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
In 2082, almost everything on a bike will be made from graphene.

Frames, tyres, hubs, rims, spokes, cranks, belt drive drivetrains, bars, stems, grips, levers, calipers, forks, shocks, saddles, suspension. Lubricant will not be required and rebound and compression damping will be magnetic not hydraulic. Bearings will be ceramic. Suspension setting will be automatic, any rider gets on any bike and it will auto-adjust the compression, rebound and sag settings. It will adjust during the ride depending upon trail conditions and how it is being ridden. Because of this, people will not own a bike anymore, they will just turn up at a trail centre and hire a bike.

The bike will cost as much as your house, but it will weigh about 5kg + 1.5kg for a motor and battery, and they will all last for a minimum ten years with zero maintenance. Those that own a bike will change their bikes because they get bored. Probably swapping with another owner (what a pair of weirdos).

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
In 2082, almost everything on a bike will be made from graphene.

Frames, tyres, hubs, rims, spokes, cranks, belt drive drivetrains, bars, stems, grips, levers, calipers, forks, shocks, saddles, suspension. Lubricant will not be required and rebound and compression damping will be magnetic not hydraulic. Bearings will be ceramic. Suspension setting will be automatic, any rider gets on any bike and it will auto-adjust the compression, rebound and sag settings. It will adjust during the ride depending upon trail conditions and how it is being ridden. Because of this, people will not own a bike anymore, they will just turn up at a trail centre and hire a bike.

The bike will cost as much as your house, but it will weigh about 5kg + 1.5kg for a motor and battery, and they will all last for a minimum ten years with zero maintenance. Those that own a bike will change their bikes because they get bored. Probably swapping with another owner (what a pair of weirdos).

Will it fly?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles