Motor seems to brake?

Jimmi

Jun 25, 2018
Harefield
I did 32 miles yesterday on mainly flat canal path. I came to a steep bridge and attacked it in the wrong gear! There was a bit of a crunch as it felt like the chain slipped but noting I haven’t heard before......then after that it felt like the motor was running fine but then sort of braking intermittently . It’s hard to explain, it feels like there is power but then it just drops the power. Almost as if I’d reached the speed limit or was pedalling but braking at the same time.
The wheel circumference is set to 800mm so there is no speed limit in my bike. Has anyone had an issue like this. I have since downloaded Blevo and the problem Ian still there.

Sparkydave

Aug 7, 2018
Derbyshire, UK
Yep, not had the crunch, but occasionally my new Kenevo will feel like that. Usually ties in with when it's making a loud whirring noise that it shouldn't and usually in a low gear

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
what motor and firmware are you running?
that braking feeling can be the motor loosing power due to bad contacts between battery and motor

Jimmi

Jun 25, 2018
Harefield
I have a Brose motor and it’s never been updated so I think it’s version 4.0. I’ve never even taken the battery off since I’ve had the bike!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
well i would get it updated, do you run the acceleration setting at race? if so switch it back to normal or eco see if that fixes it

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
you need to take the bike to a specialized dealer where are you based harefield? your not a million miles away from berkshire cycles in crowthorn take it to them

Jimmi

Jun 25, 2018
Harefield
you need to take the bike to a specialized dealer where are you based harefield? your not a million miles away from berkshire cycles in crowthorn take it to them
I bought it from Evans in Maidenhead, shouldn’t I take it back to them? The Specialized concept store is about 10 minutes from me in Ruislip, I wonder if they can do it? I have a feeling they probably won’t be too helpful if it’s not bought from there.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Try the concept store they will do it but they might charge you a tenner or so. I bought my bike from evans and apart from them being bloody usless they still wanted to charge me for the upgrade

Jimmi

Jun 25, 2018
Harefield
Try the concept store they will do it but they might charge you a tenner or so. I bought my bike from evans and apart from them being bloody usless they still wanted to charge me for the upgrade
I’ll give them a call and see what they say, I’m actually not working tomorrow so hopefully I can take it down and get it done.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Ok good luck just to consider if you use any third party apps with your bike such as blevo or zworks you will loose some of the app functions. If you use mission control make sure you update that to the latest version after the bike update

Jimmi

Jun 25, 2018
Harefield
Called Specialized concept store and was told by the manager “probably best you take it back to where you bought it they should upgrade firmware for free, I’m not sure how long it takes or how much we charge. Call back tomorrow when our workshop guy is in”. There literally is no point going to the Specialized concept store, they’re dearer than Evans, don’t do interest free credit, and don’t seem to know much about their own products.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
That sounds familliar , go to berkshire cycles

Mountain Dan

Apr 24, 2018
Glencoe
Yep, not had the crunch, but occasionally my new Kenevo will feel like that. Usually ties in with when it's making a loud whirring noise that it shouldn't and usually in a low gear
I've had a loud whirring noise which mainly comes in lower gears, pedalling at a high cadence and in eco mode - do many people get this?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I bought it from Evans in Maidenhead, shouldn’t I take it back to them? The Specialized concept store is about 10 minutes from me in Ruislip, I wonder if they can do it? I have a feeling they probably won’t be too helpful if it’s not bought from there.
If the Evans store is anything like the one near me 'stay away'.
Arses and elbows with a don't know thrown in is as good as a compliment my mates could give.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Called Specialized concept store and was told by the manager “probably best you take it back to where you bought it they should upgrade firmware for free, I’m not sure how long it takes or how much we charge. Call back tomorrow when our workshop guy is in”. There literally is no point going to the Specialized concept store, they’re dearer than Evans, don’t do interest free credit, and don’t seem to know much about their own products.
When will these stores learn? Service is king in this industry and these guys need to wake up.... If you see Chris at Berkshire he will do it for free, then you’ll very likely go back to him to buy your next bike as their service is so good.

I was in retail for 15 years and one business that I worked in had a fundamental rule:

“If we don’t look after the customer, someone else will”

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I've had a loud whirring noise which mainly comes in lower gears, pedalling at a high cadence and in eco mode - do many people get this?
I think it is the nature of the Brose motors, I do have a 2018 Levo and above 110 in cadence I get the same “howling sound” from my motor. It’s particularly present when I accelerate up a steep hill in a low gear. It feels a little like I’m outrunning the motor.

Karsten

Andy Garnell

Apr 23, 2019
Germany
Hi. I have a Rotwild RX + Ultra 2019 fitted with the Brose S motor and I notice that once the motor is "warm" that when I climb in a low gear the motor makes an increased "howling sound" which increases as you add further support. It also seems that the motor is dragging / holding back. Much loader than my Hiabike PW-X powered bike. Stop for 5 minutes and set off again and the motor is whisper quiet for the first part of the next hill !!! I have asked Rotwild the question but so far no response

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles