Motor related problems?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The worst part of the shimano is this cover I’ve taped the top edge to seal the gap
My problems are because my speed sensor plug is non standard and that slot in the plug hole doesn’t have a matching counterpart on the new plug
Sealing with a bit if silicone seems to cure the problem and the tape on the cover stops it getting water blasted in the top edge
However the connectors should be considered a service item as all should be
It is anoying though when you see the lovely rubber sealed clip on connectors on cars and bikes that hardly ever give problems

19DEED81-C611-4073-B064-29A4E7DA5E6F.jpeg

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
You should watch the interview rob did yesterday and when the manager of the shop was asked about brose problems he dodged it..

Except to say that he might fit six drive units over a weekend, and have six more on order on the Monday. There is reliability for you.

Last edited:

Seric

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Norway
Never had any heat issues , what bike do you have. Just thinking maybe some allow more air to motor and battery than others . Touching the pedal while switching on is easily done I often get that error .
ooops. Forgot to follow up on this. I've got a Mondraker E-crusher

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
ooops. Forgot to follow up on this. I've got a Mondraker E-crusher
Interesting , did you notice any excess heat from the battery as it’s enclosed ?
I had an error code the other day bike cutting out as usual , it was the heat code first although there was no heat at all I was coasting down hill after a flat section pedaling gently in eco . It re booted then cut out again shortly after with a different code , it was a very wet day
I’ve since fitted a new speed sensor and all is well , so could have been a damaged speed sensor wire or connector etc , the speed sensor is quite exposed to rock strikes etc . Anyway we’ll see now all connections sealed with silicone hopefully all will be well .
I have a theory with the error codes , they simply flash up the number related to the sensor that received a voltage drop first , due to a dirty connection etc the actual error code is very unlikely to be what it says it is .

Seric

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Norway
Interesting , did you notice any excess heat from the battery as it’s enclosed ?
I had an error code the other day bike cutting out as usual , it was the heat code first although there was no heat at all I was coasting down hill after a flat section pedaling gently in eco . It re booted then cut out again shortly after with a different code , it was a very wet day
I’ve since fitted a new speed sensor and all is well , so could have been a damaged speed sensor wire or connector etc , the speed sensor is quite exposed to rock strikes etc . Anyway we’ll see now all connections sealed with silicone hopefully all will be well .
I have a theory with the error codes , they simply flash up the number related to the sensor that received a voltage drop first , due to a dirty connection etc the actual error code is very unlikely to be what it says it is .

Haven't had any issues around the battery as I know of. But I did really notice the heat from the motor when I had the errorcode. You could feel the heat-rays coming from the motor when you had your leg close to it.

RonBO

Sep 19, 2018
Israel
Had that I was about put a heads up on the forum . Iam not surprised dealers don’t find it , The little connections on the side if the motor get dirt in them . The problem is the plastic cover on the left side allows dirt and water to get in on top of them .
Remove the cover and pull out the 3 conectors and clean out the connector holes , I used brake cleaner spray and compressed air , but I guess wd 40 would do it . I think it’s mainly the speed sensor connector that’s the main problem .
Grease the connectors to prevent corrosion . I used silicone grease , I also greased all around the tops to seal them , or for a more permanent job silicone mastic would possibly be better . Put the plastic cover back on and put some wide tape along the top edge to prevent water and dirt running down the gap . It’s also worth checking the main motor connection at the front behind the cover , lift the outside ring and it pulls off , again grease the terminals . The cover is the problem there’s no real way to seal it . I seem to have to clean it out every few months .
Second , the lower battery mount in the frame has two little rubber 2 pin seals , I found one was displaced after using a washer at a bike park that was too powerful , take them out and turn the bike upside down and spray in some wd 40 water can get in there . I can’t get the actual unit apart to check the inside as it needs a strange size Allen key I can’t find 3 mm almost works but will round off the screws so I’ve greased the seals to keep the muck out . Finally clean and silicone grease the battery conectors .
I also give the whole bike a good spray with silicone spray which not only helps lube suspension and seatpost but keeps water and dirt out

Error codes seem to range from w10 wo12 and wo13 for all these problems .

Hi
Got a quick question for you.
I was cleaning the connectors and tried to open the main battery-to-motor plug. I applied quite a bit of force and it wouldn't open, so I let it stay connected
You said "the main motor connection at the front behind the cover , lift the outside ring and it pulls off"..... what outside ring are you refering to? Is the something that locks the connector in place?

Thanks
Ron

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hi
Got a quick question for you.
I was cleaning the connectors and tried to open the main battery-to-motor plug. I applied quite a bit of force and it wouldn't open, so I let it stay connected
You said "the main motor connection at the front behind the cover , lift the outside ring and it pulls off"..... what outside ring are you refering to? Is the something that locks the connector in place?

Thanks
Ron
Yes there is a knurled lower ring on the conector that locks it in place , from it just slides up then the conector will pull off

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
my speed sensor plug is non standard
maybe because you use a speed unlock device? without the notch you risk to damage the bus female connector on the motor...it's not a good idea in my opinion. Also the tape, what a let me say anti aesthetic solution you chose, I prefer tape used by car repairer, it seals the gap and without notificing it. will post a pic if you want;)

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
maybe because you use a speed unlock device? without the notch you risk to damage the bus female connector on the motor...it's not a good idea in my opinion. Also the tape, what a let me say anti aesthetic solution you chose, I prefer tape used by car repairer, it seals the gap and without notificing it. will post a pic if you want;)[/QUOTE
Yes the notch missing on the speed sensor plug is due it being part the derestrictor , it’s not going to damage anything , but it needs sealing iether temporary with grease or more permanently with silicone sealant .
As for the tape , I just used what I had on the shelf How it looks and was my last concern , it’s covered in dirt soon enough ,sticks well and peeks of easily , and gets removed quite often for servicing / cleaning ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles