Motor problem- help!

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Not having a good day.... chain snapped this morning. Fixed it out on the trail but then the motor wouldn’t give any power ☹️

Checked MC and I’ve got the following - anyone know how to fix? (2018 1.3)
C36D9EC6-867F-4804-8A52-8676F1B859FE.png D80CBAAE-998E-4D55-B73C-B62A04480809.png

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I have heard of a few who had issues with the Brose torque sensor and your MC indicates that you have the same issue. I think the only way now is back to your LBS, hopefully you have warranty as you will properly need a new motor :mad:

Karsten

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi Stumpy,

Back luck day then don’t buy any lotery tickets anymore today...

Did you get this failure immediately after the chain snapped and you repaired it? If so, I can imagine that due the chain suddenly snapped a power overshoot could have caused this issue as most probarbly the sensor recognized an unexpected value. I would try a complete bike reset. Not sure how the procedure works for a 2018 model.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Hi Stumpy,

Back luck day then don’t buy any lotery tickets anymore today...

Did you get this failure immediately after the chain snapped and you repaired it? If so, I can imagine that due the chain suddenly snapped a power overshoot could have caused this issue as most probarbly the sensor recognized an unexpected value. I would try a complete bike reset. Not sure how the procedure works for a 2018 model.

Totally agree with your theory, I heard the motor give out a nice high pitched “whine” when the chain snapped.

The only way I know of to reset anything is via MC which I’ll try in the morning but I’ve spoken to our friend Chris @ Berkshire cycles and if all else fails he will fix or replace.

I have heard of a few who had issues with the Brose torque sensor and your MC indicates that you have the same issue. I think the only way now is back to your LBS, hopefully you have warranty as you will properly need a new motor :mad:

Karsten

I’m already on my 4th motor (long story) plus I’ve had the brakes x 2 replaced, now swapped out for XT 8020’s, the dropper rebuilt and now swapped out for a crank bros high line and a new battery - all under warranty. ? I know you’ve had your issues with Spesh but I can’t fault their customer service here. It helps to have a LBS, like the aforementioned, who has a good relationship with Spesh too.

I’ll let you all know how I get on. Interestingly MC is not throwing the error anymore but the motor is still dead ☹️

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Totally agree with your theory, I heard the motor give out a nice high pitched “whine” when the chain snapped.

The only way I know of to reset anything is via MC which I’ll try in the morning but I’ve spoken to our friend Chris @ Berkshire cycles and if all else fails he will fix or replace.

I’m already on my 4th motor (long story) plus I’ve had the brakes x 2 replaced, now swapped out for XT 8020’s, the dropper rebuilt and now swapped out for a crank bros high line and a new battery - all under warranty. ? I know you’ve had your issues with Spesh but I can’t fault their customer service here. It helps to have a LBS, like the aforementioned, who has a good relationship with Spesh too.

I’ll let you all know how I get on. Interestingly MC is not throwing the error anymore but the motor is still dead ☹️
A good LBS is so very important, when that is said I in the end I got a very good ending to my issues - I'll update the other thread but lets just say that there is a pair of brand new 29" Roval Traverse Carbon wheels on my bike now.

Good luck with the motor, It could also be a loose connection between battery and motor but they usually don't have issues with that before MY2019. My MY2018 have been absolutely perfect apart from the 29" issue, you must have gotten what we call a "Monday" model unfortunately.

Karsten

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
A good LBS is so very important, when that is said I in the end I got a very good ending to my issues - I'll update the other thread but lets just say that there is a pair of brand new 29" Roval Traverse Carbon wheels on my bike now.

Karsten

????

Good luck with the motor, It could also be a loose connection between battery and motor but they usually don't have issues with that before MY2019. My MY2018 have been absolutely perfect apart from the 29" issue, you must have gotten what we call a "Monday" model unfortunately.

Karsten

I run an extender so tried swapping back to the factory harness but that didn’t help so I have ruled out a connection issue, but thanks for trying to help.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
????

I run an extender so tried swapping back to the factory harness but that didn’t help so I have ruled out a connection issue, but thanks for trying to help.
Can I just ask:
Does the bike still work on walk assist?
Can you still pedal the bike?
Thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles