motor noise

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
My 2020 Stance-e has about 400 km on it. When I first used it the motor seemed pretty quiet. However it seems to be getting louder and louder everytime I use it now. It's getting to the point that it's annoying. It's a whirring noise like straight-cut gears.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it a sign of imminent failure?

Thanks.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Mine is noisier depending on temperature... It has ~3000km and still working fine.

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
Mine was very silent during the the test ride and also during the first ride then it began noisy (less than my previous full-E anyway). After 700km the bike has still the same noise and works well.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
My experience is that the motor noise gets louder when I pedal harder. Even on the same incline, if I back off the torque the sound subsides as well. It’s a low pitched growl which I believe is the sound that straight-cut gears make, maybe there’s a reduction transmission in there? When my Trance E is on a work stand with the chain removed, I can hear the same noise if I rotate the pedals forward lightly by hand - with the power switched OFF which is why I suspect it’s internal gears - and not electric related.

One possible reason why it might appear that the motor got louder over time is ambient noise. I hardly hear the motor over gravelly trails and pavement where the tyres are loudest, but over softpack I notice it growling when I’m pushing it. Also as the tyre knobs get round-edged and worn over time, they get quieter... so the motor might appear louder.

Then there’s how much you pay attention to it. I have tinnitus and it’s deafening when I’m thinking about and listening out for it. It’s always there, but I haven’t noticed it in months until now when I mentioned it as an example - which brought back my awareness. Same with noisy clocks around the house. I don’t hear them until I listen, then it’s all I hear!
Tick tock tick tock! Buzzzzzxxxxx... ?

Last edited:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I actually thought my motor quieted down after a few weeks of riding, but I still find the noise annoying.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Giant motors are noisier than original Yamaha's and even noisier than newer Boschs... I like the noise on mine. What I don't like is when the chain of the front sprockets are noisy :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles