Levo Gen 2 Motor disengages after 5s after power on, no speed indicator in app

GoOnOne

Dec 18, 2021
Germany
I tried my new bike for the first time this morning, 2020 Turbo Levo Comp HT (1.3 motor). There seems to be a problem with the speed sensor. If this isn't easy to fix I can still return or exchange it.

- The motor will only engage for about 5 seconds, then stops.
- Each time I power it off then on again, it still only works for 5 seconds. It doesn't matter which power setting I use (eco/turbo).
- Batter LEDs are still on.
- I bicycled about 4km, but the specialized 'mission control' app shows 0km total and always 0.0 km/h.
- The odometer still says 0km.
- There is no alarm or message that anything is wrong, the diagnostic in the app says all is OK.
- The battery is 100% charged.

Cable issue?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Certainly sounds like a speed sensor issue of some variety.

You could take the upper left side motor cover off and make sure the cables seated correctly.

No rear suspension, so it's not the cable getting pinched !

Check the magnet is actually there. It might have fallen off or been installed incorrectly - probably mounted on the brake disk. Likewise the sensor - confirm it's located correctly and the magnet passes within a few mm's of it when the wheel turns. You might have to take the back wheel out to check this, which is a good time to check the wheel is also correctly mounted with the axle. If it's not dropped into the frame correctly on the brake side that could give too much separation.

GoOnOne

Dec 18, 2021
Germany
What does this magnet look like, where is it exactly and how is the read by the system, what wiring/plug? I looked at the rear brake disc and I see no magnet. Why would this be missing on a new bike? Weird. Any photo or link?

GoOnOne

Dec 18, 2021
Germany
This is rear disc. No Magnet? Shouldn't it be at the lower left in the image? I guess I will find out at the shop next week, If it is an easy fix I'd like to try first though.
20211218_193144.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If the disc rotor is centrelock ( ie it fixes with a central locking ring rather than 6 bolts) the magnet is built into the lock ring and the sensor I believe on the HT is just a bove the thru axle on the frame.

GoOnOne

Dec 18, 2021
Germany
The magnet was not installed for some reason. Once in, the bike now works ok. The bike is new but out of date (2020 levo comp HT), still not sure if this was a good idea.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The magnet was not installed for some reason. Once in, the bike now works ok. The bike is new but out of date (2020 levo comp HT), still not sure if this was a good idea.
I wonder if the disk was upgraded for some reason and whom ever did it forgot about the magnet ?

The bike should be ok. It has the 1.3 motor rather than the 2.1/2.2 so has the same power, is ever so slightly heavier, but theoretically, slightly more reliable. It's the same motor as the first gen levo's full suspension bikes or the first generation of Kenevo's.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I wonder if the disk was upgraded for some reason and whom ever did it forgot about the magnet ?

The bike should be ok. It has the 1.3 motor rather than the 2.1/2.2 so has the same power, is ever so slightly heavier, but theoretically, slightly more reliable. It's the same motor as the first gen levo's full suspension bikes or the first generation of Kenevo's.
well the rotor has certainly never seen a brake pad!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles