Motor characteristics by brand

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Hi all
I haven't seen much posting about how the assist systems differ from brand to brand. I know there are more and more manufacturers adopting the Specialized approach of customization via an app.

I was able finally get a real ride in on an EMTB. I demoed a 2018 Powerfly 7 and the overall experience was great. I'm amazed at the ability to climb up just about anything. I was climbing things that I would have never thought about at the peak of my riding experience let alone coming back to a MTB after nearly decade off the bike.

What I did notice most on my ride was the distinct on/off feel of the assist especally in turbo at moderate speeds. I suppose it could be better if I was shifting all the time to keep a little more pressure on the pedals. I assume this is how the Bosch system is. Harsher transitions between on and off.

How do the the other motors compare to the Bosch? I'm looking at bike with Brose, Yamaha, and Shimano systems.

Sadly Most dealer around here will not be getting stock until spring and maybe not demo bikes until summer. So it won't be easy for be to get much saddle time on different bikes.

Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm so new that I haven't taken delivery of my eBike yet. There are some seriously knowledgeable people on this Forum. There is one guy who tests different motors on a range of terrain and does hill start tests and that sort of thing. No idea how to find him on here, but try Googling "emtb motor tests", or Yamah vs Bosch emtb motors" (that sort of thing) to see what you get. :)

Personally I dislike the Bosch (a lot) and wouldn't choose a bike with a Bosch motor (loud and draggy). Others seem to think they are the dogs. I have tried Bosch, Yamaha, Brose, Shimano and one other whose name I can't recall, but there are others. Of them all, the Shimano Steps (E8000) was the most impressive. Unlike the others I forgot about what mode I was in and all the eBike stuff and just enjoyed the ride. All the bikes I rode on test had good kit and were properly set up for me, so I believe that the fun was delivered by the motor's power delivery suiting me. Yiu are doing the right thing, asking questions, doing your research. But in the end you have to test ride the bikes.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
That test is quite out of date, as older motors or motors running older software

Ron

Patreon
Sep 27, 2018
Campbell, CA USA
There are some good vids on YouTube comparing motors. Just search EMTB motor comparisons. On many new bikes now you can adjust the assist at the various levels to tune the bike to better fit your needs. I have a Specialized Levo and there is the Specialized app Mission Control and a new independent app called BLEvo both allow adjustment to how the motor delivers assist, I expect there to be similar apps for other brands

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles