Motor binding up

PeterM

Mar 13, 2019
New Zealand
My shimano e8000 motor has suddenly developed significant drag when pedalling, in all modes. When back pedalling aswell. First noticed today riding felt much harder and my battery depleted unusually fast. Kind of frees up if i back pedal by hand fast for ten or so revolutions but then binds again as soon as i change back into the forward direction. I left the bike for a few hours to let the motor cool right down and the drag seems worse.
10,000kms on the motor.
Has anyone else experienced this? There is no noticable bearing noise or rumble, could this be a fault with the clutch mechanism?
If anyone has had one on these motors apart and could shed any light on the matter, any input would be great.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I suppose you do this test to the motor alone, I mean wheels (mainly rear hub) and brakes are not involved.

Then, this looks like a problem with a motor internal bearing, gearwheel or clutch that has a problem. If you are lucky and the problem is a bearing then it can be replaced at a low cost, if it is a gear or clutch then it can not be fixed unless you get the parts from a broken donor motor.

There is a long thread about bearing replacement:

and Videos:

PeterM

Mar 13, 2019
New Zealand
20220706_111153.jpg
20220706_111133.jpg

Main drive side bearing has collapsed, damaging the housing.
The damage to the casing is terminal, if anyone has a dead drive unit they are willing to part with message me. I will attempt to swap the casing.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Good luck finding a replacement case. Place request in forums, there must be somebody with a defective motor selling it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles