Motor and mud grinding noise

dpeart

Aug 31, 2018
US
I recently bought a 2027 Raleigh Tokul IE.

Many places I ride are wet. I've noticed that mud and leaves get stuck between the front chaining guard and between the chaining and the motor bearing.

It seems that the chains brings the debri up and it gets packed in. This make a very unpleasant grinding noise. At first I thought my derailleur was misaligned.

Now I stop periodically and use my water bottle and a stick to clean it out.

Is this normal? I read a thread on here about removing the chairing guard, but wasn't sure if I have to buy something to replace it with.

I also saw something called a mudring 2 . Unfortunately I only read English so I could only look at pictures.

Looking for advice

Thanks
David

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
Hi David.

Removing the original equipment sprocket and guard will almost certainly solve your current issue.

Firstly you will require a replacement sprocket that does not have the guard. I have found Connex to be the most durable, but if you are running an SRAM set up, their narrow wide front EX1 sprocket is superb, and I wouldn't change away.

Next up is a locking ring and O ring, which weirdly many people choose to leave out. I don't.

Being a plus size bike, you will also require either 2mm or 2.5mm off set spacer. Sticking my neck out, I'm going to say opt for the 2mm version.

Finally, you will also require a Bosch locking ring spider-tool.This is one tool that is worth investing in, and you will use it time and time again.

Last edited:

dpeart

Aug 31, 2018
US
I've been able to find everything except for the spacer at this store: Bike Shop | Bike-Discount: Onlineshop mit Bestpreis-Garantie

Being in the states I've not found anything local. Anyone heard of this store? they appear to have an unbelievable price on some tires as well. Figure I might as well buy a boat load, as I'm paying shipping.

Still looking for a spacer.

thanks,
david

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Its a highly recommended online store in europe and you can trust them no problem.

Karsten

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Agreed, I have used these guys a number of times before and have always had good service from them (y)

dpeart

Aug 31, 2018
US
hmm $80 to ship to me. Have you used the GAtes lockring I linked to above? It has spacers and I can get it from the same shop so shipping is reasonable. Its a shame you can't buy any of these Bosch parts here in the US. I could call the authorized store, maybe they can get them.

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
I have only used the Bosch original equipment spacers, but they should be something that any dealer that sells Bosch powered bikes should easily be able to obtain.

Failing that, perhaps drop a line to Bosch USA. I'm sure that they must be able to help.

dpeart

Aug 31, 2018
US
Was able to find a shop here in the US to sell me the parts. They only had the 2mm spacer from a SRAM EX1 chainring so they sold me a Bosch 18T chainring and included the spacer. I didn't need the SRAM chainring. Got the lockring tool from them as well.

thanks for the help

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
That's brilliant news. :)

I have a few 2mm spacers knocking about, and hadn't realised that they were such a problem to get.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles