Most durable drivetrain parts for an Ebike?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I put a steel Shimano Cassette with a SRAM Hub adapter on and it's been faultless so far after 600 miles.

When I changed my chain at the wear indicator previously it was slipping under load. Plan on just running the chain until the gears start slipping and change the cassette and chain at the same time..I bank on about 1200 miles per drivetrain.

Will report on progress :)

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
On which hollow pin chains do you experience that they crush?
To my experience (from analogue bikes however since I’m pretty new to eMTB) the SRAM Eagle XO1 hollow pin is a workhorse that has exceeded my expectations by far in durability.
Haven't tried the Eagle XO1 chain as have sold my SingleSpeed bikes but I went through maybe 5-6 chains before deciding solid plates and pins is best for my size. I figure the torque and power from an ebike would be similar to climbing with the SS.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Haven't tried the Eagle XO1 chain as have sold my SingleSpeed bikes but I went through maybe 5-6 chains before deciding solid plates and pins is best for my size. I figure the torque and power from an ebike would be similar to climbing with the SS.

Have you got a link to a chain with those links?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
KMC X11 EPT
There are several KMC chains but this one seems to last well enough.

SRAM GX Eagle 12sp
This is mid level for the SRAM Eagle series. The higher level ones have hollow pins so I stay away from them. The next level down NX Eagle seems a bit clunky with shifting and while 1/3 cheaper seems to give less kms before needing replacing.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
KMC X11 EPT
There are several KMC chains but this one seems to last well enough.

SRAM GX Eagle 12sp
This is mid level for the SRAM Eagle series. The higher level ones have hollow pins so I stay away from them. The next level down NX Eagle seems a bit clunky with shifting and while 1/3 cheaper seems to give less kms before needing replacing.

Cheers bro. I’ll get one of them next upgrade!

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Previously in this thread a link to a chain testing site was mentioned Chain Testing - Zero Friction Cycling and the SRAM XX1 and XO1 12 speed chains exceeds all other chains in longevity. There is a wide range of chains tested, so it’s possible to how good a chain is (according to this test).

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
SRAM XX1 and XO1 12 speed chains exceeds all other chains in longevity.
On my analogue bikes (except the SingleSpeed) I have used one of those two with no issues, but having deformed hollow pins due to my weight and the power I can generate climbing. I figure the added torque and power of an ebike should at least equal that, making them an iffy proposition.

Niklas

Jun 10, 2019
Sweden
I like this wide range 8-speed concept but the splined Shimano driver body is a deal breaker for me - I used to gouge the hell out of those things on pedal bikes - I can only imagine what the torque of an Ebike will do to them - IMO Sram xD driver is such a better design
That’s not a problem with the EX1system, only with badly designed cassettes and alu bodys .

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
20200125_162323.jpg
20200125_151527.jpg
Today's mudrun with a new DH casing Shorty went awesome, what a hoot. Look at the mud and crud jammed in this zee-fr derailleur, chain, and 11-36 cassette, yet it shifted great. I do not baby it, shifting with only a modicum of respect for the machine.

The 10 speeds may not have the durability (long life cycle under intended loads) of the newer 11 and 12 speed systems -this is what I keep reading anyway- but they sure are tough and shift decent even when damaged a little or plugged with trail trash.

Boldly

May 8, 2022
USA
Resurrecting this thread to see if there's been any new input in the last two years. I have a YT Decoy and I'm chewing through Shimano m7100 cassettes in around 4 weeks time. I ride in Boost all the time and I'm not shy about shifting under power (this is how I ride; everyone has their preference).

Any new input on the ideal setup for the drive-train on these ebikes?

I bought one of their 8 speed systems to test it out and check compatabilty..it is supposed to ship in February. Looking forward for something to test.

How did the Box 4, 8 speed work out for you? I'd hapily run this and drop the extra 4 gears and range, if I could get a couple months of decent performance out of it. I certainly like the price. The Shimano stuff is so nice! But only for a couple of weeks until it starts getting chewed up and skipping shifts and such. Thanks for your feedback.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Resurrecting this thread to see if there's been any new input in the last two years. I have a YT Decoy and I'm chewing through Shimano m7100 cassettes in around 4 weeks time. I ride in Boost all the time and I'm not shy about shifting under power (this is how I ride; everyone has their preference).

Any new input on the ideal setup for the drive-train on these ebikes?

How did the Box 4, 8 speed work out for you? I'd hapily run this and drop the extra 4 gears and range, if I could get a couple months of decent performance out of it. I certainly like the price. The Shimano stuff is so nice! But only for a couple of weeks until it starts getting chewed up and skipping shifts and such. Thanks for your feedback.
You know what? Its still in the Box. I found a sweet spot with 11-42 10 speeds, and just stuck with them. Longevity is still a problem, and hardened pin chains help.

Recently, I installed a Kindernay VII and was really hoping to give it a thorough abuse cycle. Unfortunately I'm out with back trouble, and I may not be back on the bike for awhile.

I too ride in boost, almost exclusively.

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
Anyone using Sram EX-1 group ?
8 speed & expensive! Large range, 11>48. Super rugged for e-MTB.
I’m still running EX1 on a Mondraker with bosch gen 2. Over 1000km now it’s still like new (inc chain, which I think is an sram 10s).

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
Zee 10 speed and 11-36 cassette is the best combo i've found

I can still climb vertical walls, 12 speeds are just a wasted mess of cogs and dispair...

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I was keen to try the sunrace 11 speed 10 - 46 as my current SRAM 10 -42 isn't quite enough.
I always wear just one cog, 3rd from smallest I think it is as this is my bikepark gear then the 42 to get to the top again. This renders the cassette scrap as it skips under power.
The sunrace looked the answer with its replaceable cogs, but trying to find stock of these replacements appears impossible.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Still running my ex1 cassette at 5400 km with the third chain and third sprocket set. And that's including 2 winters, deristricted motor ( and turbo eats the cassette)

Boldly

May 8, 2022
USA
I’m still running EX1 on a Mondraker with bosch gen 2. Over 1000km now it’s still like new (inc chain, which I think is an sram 10s).

Still running my ex1 cassette at 5400 km with the third chain and third sprocket set. And that's including 2 winters, deristricted motor ( and turbo eats the cassette)

I'm having a difficult time deciding between the EX1 and going for the ZRace stuff, because the ZRace is so affordable. If the EX1 held up for me as it has for you I'd go for it no-brainer. I also have a de-restricted EP8 motor, and I ride all-out everywhere I go, which is 75% daily trips to the corner store and grocery store (because I hate to drive). I live across from a college campus with a lot of interesting urban features and I am not kind to this motor and drivetrain, at all. Urban rides are way harder on my bike than the trails.

I bought an HG freebody driver for my wheels and I'll give this cassette a try. If I chew it up in 4 weeks time then I'll probably order the EX1 and see if it holds up. If it doesn't, then I'll just replace the ZRace cassette and Shimano 6100 derailleur/chain/shifter every month for ~$150. I'll report back.

s-l1600.jpg

Boldly

May 8, 2022
USA
The ZRace cassette and chain are holding up great--better than the stock Shimano. It was a good choice to swap from the microspline to the hyperglide freehub driver as the cassettes are $20 less expensive this way, roughly ~$70 for a cassette, and the only difference is they're 11-50 rather than 10-50. Makes no difference to me--27mph is plenty fast. This is a great solution for anyone else that's hard on their drive-train, as I am.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles