More on Software versions as reported by the Giant App

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
So, wondering what others are seeing and experiencing. My partner thinks that the assist levels in Auto mode are no longer as powerful in the latest software version as when she had the original version.

The versions (and their distinguishing features) are as follows:

20190802000 - As originally supplied in our 2020 models - Auto selected by pressing down button once after going to zero assistance

20190924000 - As loaded by LBS when serviced - Auto selected by pressing and holding up or down assistance level button

20191231000 - Loaded by iOS app update - Assistance level always defaults to Auto mode when you start the system

Anyone else ?

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
Hi
I have just updated the firmware to 20191231000 but haven't had time to try it yet so I'm probably replying too soon but here's my experience so far...

20190XXX000 - As originally supplied in my 2020 Trance +3 (I can't recall the actual version No.) - Auto selected by pressing Down button once after going to zero assistance.

With this I found Auto mode the only mode worth using, Levels 1 and 2 in particular were a disappointment in as much the assistance given was barely able to compensate for the additional weight of an e-bike. Press and hold Walk button. Walk did not work in Auto mode.

20190802000 - As loaded, in my case, from the previous app update - Auto selected by pressing Down button once after going to zero assistance.

After installing this version I was able to set the assistance for each level. To my surprise I found the levels set prior were very low. I believe Level 1, for example, was only 30% assistance or thereabouts. I have since set Levels to default and now find Levels 1 and 2 more than adequate for most of my riding. Conversely, I find Auto mode rather flat but put this down to it not being the large step up it was on the previous firmware. Because of this I have rarely used Auto with this firmware version. Press and hold Walk button. Walk did not work in Auto mode.

20191231000 - Loaded, in my case, by Android app update tonight.

Now Auto mode is selected by holding down either Up or Down button. A quick press of either will default to Level 3. I cannot confirm the effectiveness of Auto mode until I test ride tomorrow. I expect Walk is now enabled by pressing Walk then Up buttons.

Last edited:

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
I've ridden 30 miles today, mainly on roads due to the "coronavirus" lockdown preventing travel to somewhere interesting.
As I found in the previous software version, Auto mode doesn't give any real advantage over the use of Levels 1 and 2 to justify the appreciably higher battery drain it causes. I'll continue to use the Levels as I need them although, annoyingly, on start up it now defaults to Auto mode!
Walk mode is now "Walk" then "Up" buttons as expected and also works in Auto mode, a definite improvement.
I suppose for those who only do shorter rides the easier use of Auto is an advantage, but for those who want to do longer rides (if and when that ever becomes allowed again) I believe using the appropriate Levels is the better option.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
updated tonight to version 20191231000

Has anyone else noticed that the power output in auto seems completely different to the old way?
(When it was activated by one press more on the down button when you got to zero)

I haven’t got a nice big hill that will enable a solid back to back test in different modes, but without doubt my auto power output is different depending on what power output level I activate it at.

Example:
Assistance level 1 (1x light)
Activate Auto and I seem to get no more power than I did in 1 light mode.

Assistance level 3 (3x lights)
Activate Auto and I seem to get no more power than I did in 3 lights mode.

I am sure the auto bit isn’t really auto anymore. It’s broken.
It feels like it’s the same assistance as it was when you pressed and held the up button. Sure the middle light comes on, but assistance feels the same.

Interestingly, if I activate auto mode with no lights lit... I get an Auto with.... you guessed it.... No assistance at all! ?

Last edited:

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Another update this week, I did a firmware update that was listed via the Giant App on my 2020 Fathom E+ 3 29er (32km/h). Again it all went OK and now my firmware versions are:

Software Version 20191231000 (was 20190802000)
Hardware Version is 20190100000 (no change was 20190100000)

The only change this time around appears to be Auto (which Giant call Smart Assist Mode) which is activated by default when you switch on. Also you can now select Auto at any Assistance Level by holding down either the Up or Down Assistance Level buttons for 3 seconds, where in the past Auto was selected by pressing Down button once after going to zero assistance.

I'm yet to go out for a ride due to the weather but I'm hoping that I don't now have the same setup as you do Evolution Stu.

Last edited:

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I managed to get out for a ride his afternoon and I can confirm that I am now experiencing pretty much what is detailed above. Basically Auto mode doesn't work how it did before I did update 20191231000. When I now select Auto at any Assistance Level by holding down either the Up or Down Assistance Level buttons for 3 seconds I get the Auto light and the Assistance Level that I was at when I selected Auto.

If I activate Auto at Assistance Level 1 (1 light) I get no more power than I would in Level 1, if I activate Auto at Assistance Level 3 (3 lights) I get no more power than I would at level 3. Pretty much this update has screwed Auto.

I don't understand why Giant would do this and it makes no sense as Auto is no longer Auto. I have taken out the battery and will try again tomorrow. I would suggest not to update to 20191231000, if you want a proper Auto don't go past 20190802000.

Does anyone know where you can complain to Giant about this?

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
I managed to get out for a ride his afternoon and I can confirm that I am now experiencing pretty much what is detailed above. Basically Auto mode doesn't work how it did before I did update 20191231000. When I now select Auto at any Assistance Level by holding down either the Up or Down Assistance Level buttons for 3 seconds I get the Auto light and the Assistance Level that I was at when I selected Auto.

If I activate Auto at Assistance Level 1 (1 light) I get no more power than I would in Level 1, if I activate Auto at Assistance Level 3 (3 lights) I get no more power than I would at level 3. Pretty much this update has screwed Auto.

I don't understand why Giant would do this and it makes no sense as Auto is no longer Auto. I have taken out the battery and will try again tomorrow. I would suggest not to update to 20191231000, if you want a proper Auto don't go past 20190802000.

Does anyone know where you can complain to Giant about this?
Try sending a message via app developers through Playstore or wherever you download the app, usually has a developer contact email address.
Have to be honest and say Giant have dropped the ball on software and app stuff compared to other brands, be ok if they gave an option to go back to old updates, maybe best to not connect ride control until you check reviews or you're stuck with a bad update.

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
A short ride this morning confirms that Auto mode no longer works. It merely replicates the Level you were in prior to setting Auto.
So, this update makes Auto easier to select/deselect but renders it useless! Genius!

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
20200404_083059.jpg

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Today I have sent the an email to [email protected], posted feedback on both their Google Playstore and the Apple App store and posted to Giant's NZ Facebook page. I have no doubt that this will be as effective as "a condom machine in the Vatican" but I feel better now I have vented.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
So you have the all the information - Giant RideControl e-bike App version 1.4.3 (dated 27 Mar 2020) will update your Firmware to Software Version 20191231000 - Do not load this app update if you want to keep a usable Auto mode, Giant call this Smart Assist Mode.

Giant RideControl e-bike App version 1.4.2 (dated 19 Feb 2020) updates your Firmware to Software Version 20190802000 - Auto (Smart Assist Mode) - Auto was selected by pressing Down button once after going to zero assistance, in this version Auto works as it should by varying assistance levels automatically to cater for terrain and cadence.

NeilJ

Feb 20, 2020
Somerset UK
UPDATE 2: Been out for another 10 miles and have sussed out whats going on. I have an Urban bike DAILYTOUR E+1 which has the EVO display and can therefore see CADENCE. What I have now found is that AUTO only works and gives full power if you keep CADENCE over 65 rpm. As I am not a racing snake and plod on my Urban bike I normally plod at 50-55 rpm and AUTO does not kick in (more power). I can use full power in manual mode at the lower CADENCE of 50-55rpm. Please try for yourselves and let us all know if what I say is correct.

UPDATE: Just done 10 miles using auto mode, it does work but is terribly slow to respond to the increase in gradient which makes it pretty useless. You end up changing down gears rather than more power being supplied.
Ok so i updated earlier this week and confirm Auto mode is screwed.
I believe what happens when you select Auto mode power mode 3 (normal) is selected power level does not increase as the ascent angle increases. I normally ride in level 1 or 2 (eco or eco+). So when coming out of Auto mode power level 3 (normal) is selected displayed, it does not revert back to the original power level selected. So contact your country importer. For the Uk use [email protected]

Last edited:

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I have been in contact with Giant New Zealand and they are now aware of the problem. We are trying various things but the lockdown in NZ is not helping.

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
Shit. I read this 20 mins. after I updated. I liked the old Auto mode. What's is like if you activate Auto the old way by going past off?

NeilJ

Feb 20, 2020
Somerset UK

Has anyone else noticed that the power output in auto seems completely different to the old way?
(When it was activated by one press more on the down button when you got to zero)

I haven’t got a nice big hill that will enable a solid back to back test in different modes, but without doubt my auto power output is different depending on what power output level I activate it at.

Example:

It feels like it’s the same assistance as it was when you pressed and held the up button. Sure the middle light comes on, but assistance feels the same.

Interestingly, if I activate auto mode with no lights lit... I get an Auto with.... you guessed it.... No assistance at all! ?
UPDATE 2: Been out for another 10 miles and have sussed out whats going on. I have an Urban bike DAILYTOUR E+1 which has the EVO display and can therefore see CADENCE. What I have now found is that AUTO only works and gives full power if you keep CADENCE over 65 rpm. As I am not a racing snake and plod on my Urban bike I normally plod at 50-55 rpm and AUTO does not kick in (more power). I can use full power in manual mode at the lower CADENCE of 50-55rpm. Please try for yourselves and let us all know if what I say is correct.

Greiddy

Apr 8, 2020
Uk
So, wondering what others are seeing and experiencing. My partner thinks that the assist levels in Auto mode are no longer as powerful in the latest software version as when she had the original version.

The versions (and their distinguishing features) are as follows:

20190802000 - As originally supplied in our 2020 models - Auto selected by pressing down button once after going to zero assistance

20190924000 - As loaded by LBS when serviced - Auto selected by pressing and holding up or down assistance level button

20191231000 - Loaded by iOS app update - Assistance level always defaults to Auto mode when you start the system

Anyone else ?
I mine starts in Auto mode but once I move up through the modes - I cant get Auto back - no matter how long I hold the down button for....

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth

Example:

My wife has the same issue - the lights are on but nobody is in when in automate - the motor does not engage.

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth

UPDATE: Just done 10 miles using auto mode, it does work but is terribly slow to respond to the increase in gradient which makes it pretty useless. You end up changing down gears rather than more power being supplied.
Ok so i updated earlier this week and confirm Auto mode is screwed.
I believe what happens when you select Auto mode power mode 3 (normal) is selected power level does not increase as the ascent angle increases. I normally ride in level 1 or 2 (eco or eco+). So when coming out of Auto mode power level 3 (normal) is selected displayed, it does not revert back to the original power level selected. So contact your country importer. For the Uk use [email protected]
Thank you for this insight - you have saved me and the wife a lot of heads scratching and fix-chasing work. Will hassle Giant today - the more people reporting, the higher up the queue this will get.

NeilJ

Feb 20, 2020
Somerset UK
Thank you for this insight - you have saved me and the wife a lot of heads scratching and fix-chasing work. Will hassle Giant today - the more people reporting, the higher up the queue this will get.
Glad I helped, also if you have lights on the bike they no longer default to ON, you have to turn them on each time. I have been in contact and raised a complaint for the 2 issues.

robt

May 15, 2020
camberley
Hi Guys, I reported the Smart Mode issue to Giant UK and they eventually responded that the developer team are aware of the problem and are working on it.
Very poor that they have left the screwed version of firmware on the download still and that they have not informed their dealers of the issue. Smart mode was one of the selling points that made me choose Giant (not the only point).
Rob.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Well, our bikes have the new software installed by our LBS today - it is reported as 20200304000. Hopefully the weather will let me go out and try it out shortly.

I received a response to a query on issues with Auto as follows: "Regarding the auto mode changes please have the store perform a diagnostic test when possible the service tool used in-store contains firmware updates not available via the app and should sort your issue."

Interesting...

philhf

Jun 11, 2020
Henderson, NV
Does anyone know if there's a way to restore the previous firmware for
RideControl? Maybe someone at the bike store, I'm wondering. I preferred the previous Auto
mode.

Oldcrank

Jan 5, 2020
Albuquerque NM
6/11/2020

Got loan of firmware from LBS & the dongle to enable it. Only runs on PC, not Mac. ? Ran almost perfect. Locked up PC at end of 2nd install. But did complete update. Then found the 2nd bike would not turn on! So I road it to see if it was ON but not showing lights.

Dang! Fired right up! No idea why. ?

Will do longer ride to see if changes to performance.

Software 202000318000

Hardware 20190100000

robt

May 15, 2020
camberley
I have a Stance E+ Pro 29 2020, my latest software just updated by the iOS app is only 20919123001, Smart Assist still does not work. What the hell are Giant doing?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles