Months of looking - finally made my 1st e-bike purchase today!!

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
Hi all. I've been looking at this forum, watching an obscene amount of e-biking videos and reading a lot of reviews for the past 2 months. Finally took the plunge today with a Giant Stance E+1!

Thanks to all of you who have posted reviews, hints & tips, or even shared your problems. I really feel like I had a wealth of knowledge available before making the jump.

For anyone interested, the choice came down to a few factors:
1. Budget - £3200 was my max price point, unfortunately a relatively low budget in the e-bike world, so no Turbo Levo for me!

2. Kit - I'm on the heavy side at 14.5st (202lbs) and over 40, so I wanted a full sus. I also wanted a 500Wh battery, dropper post, tubeless setup and reasonable finishing kit, all of which I was able to get in budget.

3. Store - I LOVE the look of some of the direct to customer options like the E-Sommet, but Im no bike mechanic and having a dealer that I trust to help if things go wrong was really important. Thankfully I live near to excellent places like Edinburgh Bicycle CoOp and Pedal Power.

Runner up was a Cube Stereo Hybrid 140, but in demo the Stance just "felt right"!

Picking it up early next week. Hopefully lots of e-biking fun ahead.

Big thanks to Rob as well, your videos started this e-bike journey when all I had wanted to know was why my Hero 7 Black footage was rubbish!! Footage looks SO much better with your settings, so thanks for that as well!

H.

JBS215

Jul 10, 2019
UK
I will be quite interested in what you think of the Giant Stance E+1, I am picking up a Giant Stance E+2 on Monday.
Unfortunately my budget wasn't enough for a E+1.
I'm a bit heavier at 15 stone but a little younger.
Can't seem to find many people with the stance most have the trance so it would be good to have other people opinions.

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
Thank you all for the welcome!

@MitchF I seen you just picked up the same bike, glad to see you enjoying it. Hopefully I can add to the pics of our glorious orange frames on the GIANT pages!

@JBS215 The components are very slightly better, but the only difference I think you will genuinely notice is the battery being a 400WH and not a 500WH, so your fun might stop just a little sooner! I actually found getting details or reviews of any lower end bikes really really difficult. Most review sources cover very few bikes under £4000. I literally found no reviews of this entire range other than the Trance E+2 review Knut has on this site.

All I need now is an EMTB shirt and my journey to the dark side will be complete! (I mean e-mtb are quicker, easier... and I dare say more seductive as well!) Sorry Yoda.

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
Hi all. I've been looking at this forum, watching an obscene amount of e-biking videos and reading a lot of reviews for the past 2 months. Finally took the plunge today with a Giant Stance E+1!

Thanks to all of you who have posted reviews, hints & tips, or even shared your problems. I really feel like I had a wealth of knowledge available before making the jump.

1. Budget - £3200 was my max price point, unfortunately a relatively low budget in the e-bike world, so no Turbo Levo for me!

2. Kit - I'm on the heavy side at 14.5st (202lbs) and over 40, so I wanted a full sus. I also wanted a 500Wh battery, dropper post, tubeless setup and reasonable finishing kit, all of which I was able to get in budget.

3. Store - I LOVE the look of some of the direct to customer options like the E-Sommet, but Im no bike mechanic and having a dealer that I trust to help if things go wrong was really important. Thankfully I live near to excellent places like Edinburgh Bicycle CoOp and Pedal Power.

Runner up was a Cube Stereo Hybrid 140, but in demo the Stance just "felt right"!

Big thanks to Rob as well, your videos started this e-bike journey when all I had wanted to know was why my Hero 7 Black footage was rubbish!! Footage looks SO much better with your settings, so thanks for that as well!

H.
Congratulations! I suspect you will soon be spending a bit of cash on clothes, food and other kit so you can make the most of your new toy! Welcome to the club! :)

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland

H.

If you got it from The Edinburgh Bike CoOp you will be all setup. The guys there are pretty good with EBikes.

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
@Lee Dove they were awesome as always! Happy to do the extra stuff I asked for, very patient. Even ok with a short test ride round the cycle paths at the back of their store. Always get a smile and a laugh in there.

Alpine Bikes over at Glentress were really helpful as well. Had a great day demoing a Cube Reaction Hybrid HD 500 on my usual red/blue trails (my busted back says no to black and is my reason for getting an ebike). Was literally the first time in 5yrs I had made it to the upper car park without being in a great deal of pain! 100% pain free on the e-bike.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
@Lee Dove they were awesome as always! Happy to do the extra stuff I asked for, very patient. Even ok with a short test ride round the cycle paths at the back of their store. Always get a smile and a laugh in there.

Alpine Bikes over at Glentress were really helpful as well. Had a great day demoing a Cube Reaction Hybrid HD 500 on my usual red/blue trails (my busted back says no to black and is my reason for getting an ebike). Was literally the first time in 5yrs I had made it to the upper car park without being in a great deal of pain! 100% pain free on the e-bike.

With an Ebike riding the Black at Glentress is like riding the Red. It was graded black because of the length and climbs originally I think.

Alpine are good , I have a couple of mates who work there , I only live 4 miles away. :)

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
I will be quite interested in what you think of the Giant Stance E+1, I am picking up a Giant Stance E+2 on Monday.
Unfortunately my budget wasn't enough for a E+1.
I'm a bit heavier at 15 stone but a little younger.
Can't seem to find many people with the stance most have the trance so it would be good to have other people opinions.

I have one, good spec for the budget, the amount you could spend is pretty unlimited. Would I be any better or faster , not sure if I would. My smiles per gallon wouldn’t be any better for sure.

Changed my seat for size comfort, pedals as I have big wide feat, bars as I wanted a riser and wider bar. Gone tubeless, that makes a good difference.

Yamaha motor is great imo. No problems with anything so far.

JBS215

Jul 10, 2019
UK
@MitchF
Thanks for the info.
What difference did going tubeless make?
Also one thing that I’m not sure about is how the Yamaha motor handles hitting the 15mph limit, can you pedal past it fairly easily or is there a lot of drag?

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
You notice the 15mph restriction, it fades out. On the flat it’s easy to hit, they’ll all do it.
That’s when you notice the weight of an e-bike. Yes there is some drag, my mate rides Cube and his is the same. It’s not massive drag but noticeable , use the gears and get a work out?? On the down hill you won’t notice it as you’ll be up above 25mph concentrating and laughing a kid.
The tubeless just gives me confidence , I am less conscious and looking further along the trail for my chosen routes. I’m also running less pressure which is more comfortable and more grip.

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
Wow!!! Picked it up last night and out on its first run this evening. Took it down to a place called Tinto Hill which I walked up last year and really really struggled with my back. On this beast though! 2000ft (600m) or so of climbing and it just shredded it. No back pain, solid workout and a blast coming down.

So happy :)
20190717_003251.jpg

Also, after that climb and roughly 24km ridden, still got over 50% battery, and I needed some serious help at times!

@33red weighed it using me holding it on some scales (so not super accurate) came out as 23kg.

JBS215

Jul 10, 2019
UK
@HIGHL4NDER
I got mine on Monday, my first ride was 48 km / 30 miles.
It used 47% of the battery, 75% down to 28%. Although I have the smaller battery compared to yours. Elevation gain was 1729 ft / 527 m.
I was really please with it and it has a lot more range than what I thought.

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
Wow!!! Picked it up last night and out on its first run this evening. Took it down to a place called Tinto Hill which I walked up last year and really really struggled with my back. On this beast though! 2000ft (600m) or so of climbing and it just shredded it. No back pain, solid workout and a blast coming down.

So happy :)
View attachment 16049

Also, after that climb and roughly 24km ridden, still got over 50% battery, and I needed some serious help at times!

@33red weighed it using me holding it on some scales (so not super accurate) came out as 23kg.

Is that Tinto near Biggar...? My folks used to live there in the 80's. Lovely spot..;-)

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
@HIGHL4NDER
I got mine on Monday, my first ride was 48 km / 30 miles.
It used 47% of the battery, 75% down to 28%. Although I have the smaller battery compared to yours. Elevation gain was 1729 ft / 527 m.
I was really please with it and it has a lot more range than what I thought.

If that’s the Stance E+1, it’s the same 500 battery as mine. I get 20mls off road on power setting three with 2 bars left. Try and keep my cadence high.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles