[MONDRAKER LEVEL R 2020] 3D printed chainguide

Dr. Ergal

Mar 4, 2020
Italy
INTRODUCTION:
Never lost my chain, even in the roughest terrain or DH trail I run, but the delaer who sold me the bike (we're still in contact) refers me that some customers complaints about this issue

That's why I decided to make a 3D printed prototype to be installed in the place of the originale component
It has an appendix that follws the upper beam of the chain some cm before it engages the chainring. It also had a protrusion to host the rear deralleur cable

Standard stuff
1594100940636.png

"Dr. Ergal" stuff
1594100959964.png

even when engaging the last pinion, there's room enough
1594101007549.png

Still need to be improved; I had to refine some details with sandpaper.
After a period of test, I'll refine the final geometry per 3D printing, so I can help my friend (the dealer) to match his customer's complaints

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
just for info - the Haibike I ride also has a chain guide but it guides from both sides of the chain;
guide.jpg

Dr. Ergal

Mar 4, 2020
Italy
I know (thanks for sharing :) )
The Level frame, unfortunately, does not allow to install such components
I also thought about a "2 sides" guide.
This is just the prototype; probably I'll embed your suggestion making a double side chainguide

Pascal K

Aug 24, 2020
Liechtenstein
Has anyone tried if a oneUp or similar chain guide slider will fit? I mean just the top slider if it will fit with the original screw position. On my Level I often loose my chain. Its a pity that there is no proper chain guide on such a bike, the crafty carbon also has one but the level which is for much rougher terrain hasn't.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Hi guys, sorry for an offtopic question. There's a level for sale and I'm considering it but I'm curious what is the real weight of this beast?

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi guys, sorry for an offtopic question. There's a level for sale and I'm considering it but I'm curious what is the real weight of this beast?

It's a hefty lump of a bike.
I've got a 2021 Level R in XL and it's supposed to weigh 27.1kg without pedals, never actually weighed it myself...

Love the way it rides though!

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Is it possible to manual it?

My manual skills aren't the best, I still can't hold the balance point on any bike I own ?

With the Mondraker I can lift the front to clear obstacles and ride drops just fine, it's obviously alot heavier than a normal bike though. Getting it to the balance point is quite a task but I'm sure someone with the skills could. When I jump back on my nomad and try a manual I nearly fly off the back...

What year model are you looking at? They shortened the chainstays from 2020 onwards I believe, so imagine the older one will be harder to manual.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Thanks for your reply :)
I'm going to check (on Saturday) the 2020 Level R size M which seems to be right for my 176 cm (5.9). I've been riding Trek Slash 8 for the last 2 years in a mullet setup and I'm worried I won't be able to ride the same trails because of the Mando size and weight. Just point and shut down. However I need an ebike because I'm sick of going uphill for 40 minutes to ride down in 5 minutes. I don't need an ebike for long trips but a lift up to ride more down :) The terrain is rough and demanding. All kinds of obstacles, roots, big rocks, fast and slow, twisty parts, steep and loose. I think about changing the rear wheel to 27.5 in the Mondraker if bought, but would it work? Would be great if somebody could share their experience.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
so buy a small. (The slash is a far shorter bike). it'll be far more playful.

I'm 5'11" and thought the Level R in large was a horrendous length and weight to manual. Fine once you got the front up. infact very stable once you do but a mission to raise it high enough at will. I like popping manuals all the time tho. not just little 2 second long never even reach the balance point manuals folk who've been on a skills course seem happy to call manualling these days. ;)

and yeah. sticking a 27.5 rear wheel will work fine on any 29er. But it'll drop the BB (12mm ish) and slacken out the Head and seat angles about a degree so you might want to move the saddle forwards and pay a little more attention to pedal clearance. It has a pretty high BB so won't be an issue if you're used to riding normal enduro/DH bikes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles