Modified Sinewave Inverter to Power Shimano Charger?

ryturn

Sep 12, 2019
Australia
great question Andy, heaps travel with bikes and aren't always on grid but are trying to charge from cars/vans through inverters. An answer to cover Brose/ Yamaha or any e-drives would be good .

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
The EMTB channel did a bit on this on YouTube the video; was about off grid charging. Some mad old duffer looked like he Knew his stuff on inverters. But had made the rig in his shed! I think they mentioned the difference.
Personally as I had one for my canal boat I would always go Pure as it would charge anything. I would also make sure that the charge size was decent eg amps to cover the amps required of your charger.

Last edited:

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I also think you need to know the wattage of the charger. My input on Giant charger is 4 amps x 240 volts so I need a 880 watts invertor for the charger to work.

Lee

Jun 11, 2019
Lancaster
Will the Shimano E8000 charger be happy being powered with modified sinewave or does it need a pure sinewave? How much power does it use starting up?

I'd expect a charger to be fine with a modified sinewave inverter but there's never a guarantee, I've used loads of chargers through a modified inverter and never had an issue.

You'll need the power rating in watts from the charger which can be worked out, my decoy charger states:
"input 100 - 240V, 2.5A (max)" meaning it could potentially draw 2.5 amps at 100V, higher voltage will use less amps, meaning it could draw 250 watts, as we are at 240v it could potentially draw a little over 1 amps from a UK house.

The decoy charger also states:
"output 42V DC at 4.0A", meaning it outputs 168 watts to the battery.

I charged mine at home through a measuring device and the maximum the charger drew was 175 watts; 0.75 amps at 234 volts. Just a little higher than the 168 stated output, probably down to inefficiencies of the charger. There was no initial startup surge when I tested mine, startup draw was around 160 watts.

Lee

Puiu

Jul 7, 2021
Romania
Will the Shimano EC-E6000 charger be happy being powered with modified sinewave
There are two SMPS controllers inside, they anyway work in high rectified DC voltage, where AC is filtered and rectified right in front of SMPS stuff...

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I'm revisiting this post. Wouldn't be reasonable to assume that a 300-400 watt inverter would be sufficient to use the stock Shimano charger to recharge their batts ?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I'm revisiting this post. Wouldn't be reasonable to assume that a 300-400 watt inverter would be sufficient to use the stock Shimano charger to recharge their batts ?

Sufficient power rating, yes. Suitable for the charger, maybe. Some chargers expect sine wave and can get hot or not work properly with "modified" sine wave.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles