Mission Control Mission Control - Which Heart Rate Strap?

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Could anyone recommend a heart rate strap they use with the mission control app?
Ta

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I just purchased a Polar OH1 armband monitor as it is listed as one of the compatible models in the Blevo manual and should also work with Mission Control. We'll see when it gets here ....

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
FYI I bought this HR Strap

@Specialized Rider Care The HR strap connected no problem. When the ride uploaded to Strava there's no heart rate data??

Hmmm, sorry to hear. I can dig into this for you - please confirm which phone and MC version you're running. Did you pair the HR sensor with the phone or with the MC app? You need to go into the MY SENSORS part of the MC settings and connect there (apologies if this is what you already did) - you can then check that the HR link is working as expected by going to STATS during LET'S RIDE and then configuring one of the cells to display heart rate (not average HR by the way) and monitoring this as you ride. If you see the numbers changing/looking right then MC is definitely picking up the strap and data - you could do a further test by using HR Smart Control and setting the threshold to 130 or 140 and then making sure as you increase HR the bike delivers more power. If you could record a ride in Mission Control once this is working and upload to Strava with no data it would be good to confirm. I may PM you and ask for the .fit file from MC and Strava separately to raise a ticket with our engineering team if you confirm this remains an issue.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Hmmm, sorry to hear. I can dig into this for you - please confirm which phone and MC version you're running. Did you pair the HR sensor with the phone or with the MC app? You need to go into the MY SENSORS part of the MC settings and connect there (apologies if this is what you already did) - you can then check that the HR link is working as expected by going to STATS during LET'S RIDE and then configuring one of the cells to display heart rate (not average HR by the way) and monitoring this as you ride. If you see the numbers changing/looking right then MC is definitely picking up the strap and data - you could do a further test by using HR Smart Control and setting the threshold to 130 or 140 and then making sure as you increase HR the bike delivers more power. If you could record a ride in Mission Control once this is working and upload to Strava with no data it would be good to confirm. I may PM you and ask for the .fit file from MC and Strava separately to raise a ticket with our engineering team if you confirm this remains an issue.
iPhone SE (not the new one) ios 12.4.1
MC 2.3.0

Heart Rate connects fine and displays ok :)

I did two rides one with smart control and one without, still no hr data in strava :-(

@Specialized Rider Care the bike does deliver power using smart control

hr.PNG
hr2.PNG

Last edited:

Luiz

Jun 6, 2020
Brisbane, Australia

I have noticed similar behavior.

- I have a 2019 Levo and use iPhone 11 Pro
With Specialized app 2.3.0 build 63

I have tried 2 different HRM
1. Wahoo Tckr
2. Viiiiva

both show in mission control as active devices and I can see my HR when I start “Let’s Ride”. I lock the iPhone and place it in my jersey.

BUT not long into the ride it must disconnect cause I stop after each trail to check and it has disconnected. I navigate to see the HRM it goes from greyed out to connected and same same repeat.
Then afterwards it saves to Strava with NO Heart rate.

many ideas ??

Luiz

Jun 6, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I have noticed similar behavior.

- I have a 2019 Levo and use iPhone 11 Pro
With Specialized app 2.3.0 build 63

I have tried 2 different HRM
1. Wahoo Tckr
2. Viiiiva

both show in mission control as active devices and I can see my HR when I start “Let’s Ride”. I lock the iPhone and place it in my jersey.

BUT not long into the ride it must disconnect cause I stop after each trail to check and it has disconnected. I navigate to see the HRM it goes from greyed out to connected and same same repeat.
Then afterwards it saves to Strava with NO Heart rate.

many ideas ??
Also - going back to my ride on the 29May20 I can see that my HR was posted to Strava and you can see the patchy measurement as I have forced a reconnect.

6676F103-D3E4-4E3C-A34A-50812C463922.jpeg

chrisk

Jun 7, 2020
San Jose, CA
I have exactly the same problem. It started happening recently, perhaps with the latest update of the Mission Control app? Not sure.
I use an iPhone 11 Pro and a Wahoo Tickr Fit. The sensor is paired with the Mission Control app, and it shows as "connected" in "My Sensors". The heart rate tracks properly on the "stats" page, both exactly as in the screen shots by @James_MTB. Until recently, when I had things lined up to that point, heart rate data would show in Strava after the ride / data upload.
However, that has stopped working - there's no more heart rate data in Strava. I checked the .fit file (the one you can send to yourself via email in the "My Rides" UI) via GPXsee. It has a "heart_rate" column, but the values are all zero.
@Specialized Rider Care I would be happy to send over the .fit file. I can also send .fit files from when it DID work.

UPDATE: The last ride that had heart rate data is one I recorded on 5/24/2020. The HR stats (Average/Max/Min) show up when I click on that ride in "My Rides - History", and they also show in Strava. The .fit file for that ride has heart rate data.
All rides since then do not have HR data, neither in the Mission Control app, nor in Strava, even though heart rate showed properly in the "stats" UI during the ride. The .fit files for those rides have zero in the heart_rate column.
Not sure whether it's a coincidence or relevant, but all rides I did when I had named my bike ("Green Levo") also have no heart rate.

Last edited:

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I am watching this thread with interest as I can't seem to get Smart Control HR to work. I have the sensor paired and MC is displaying the heartrate, but the power of the bike doesn't seem to shift from the lowest setting. My heartrate hit 169, with the threshold set at 120 or so and the bike was still not increasing the assistance.

Luiz

Jun 6, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Might be having a chat with myself but will keep the progress I make here at any rate.

today I rode using MC & my HR strap. I kept the app open the whole ride and could see the HR data displayed on the screen for the ride.

I saved the ride and synced with Strava - from within the MC app.

no HR data in Strava.

did some clicking around and my theory is that Strava has recently changed where is will accept HR data from and if you want to add sources it explicitly calls out a number of apps like Wahoo and Others - NOT Mission Control. Ok so that is one issue.

I removed the MC control app completely and rebooted my handset. I reinstalled the app and paired it with my bike and my HR strap. I went into the settings of the phone and set that the next time I open the app that it should ask me to allow access to track me - I opened the app and selected While using.

so far so good.Did a short test ride and it captures data even with the screen locked.

next update from me will be when I have tested mission Control in 2 ways.
1. With the screen locked
2. With the screen open

chow

Swiss_Rider

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
Hi I have a levo comp 2020, I'd like to purchase the polar OH1 to pair with Specialized MC app on iOS. Anybody has an update if Specialized has managed to fix the bt sensors issues and the data upload to Strava?

Any better luck with Blevo and HR bt sensors? iOS or Android? on iOS, It connects to the apple watch but does not work well, often not recording any HR or just the wrong one..

What a sadness: Specialized, manufacturer of top products has no more than a vague idea of how to develop a crucial app - ratings on both google and apple store are disastrous. On iOS they chose not to connect to the apple watch (likely not for a technical reason...) and the other bt hr sensors also seem to work randomly.

thanks for your help.

Luiz

Jun 6, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Hi I have a levo comp 2020, I'd like to purchase the polar OH1 to pair with Specialized MC app on iOS. Anybody has an update if Specialized has managed to fix the bt sensors issues and the data upload to Strava?

Any better luck with Blevo and HR bt sensors? iOS or Android? on iOS, It connects to the apple watch but does not work well, often not recording any HR or just the wrong one..

What a sadness: Specialized, manufacturer of top products has no more than a vague idea of how to develop a crucial app - ratings on both google and apple store are disastrous. On iOS they chose not to connect to the apple watch (likely not for a technical reason...) and the other bt hr sensors also seem to work randomly.

thanks for your help.

Short answer is that I can’t get Heart rate information to save and appear on Strava.

The Mission Control App work ok when it is left OPEN and the screen is active while you ride.

let’s see what the next version of the App delivers.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy

thanks for your help.
I purchased the OH1 for use with MC/Blevo and Strava. I have been able to get a live HR on MC but none of the data will transfer to Strava nor is there any history available. It doesn't work with Strava either. You have to use Polar's Beat app and sync the ride data from there to Strava which doesn't work well either. My last hope is that it will work with Blevo. It is listed as a compatible HRM in the documentation so we'll see. I think the Wahoo tickr fit would be a better match to MC and Strava as it can connect directly with Strava and hopefully MC as well.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Well it turns out that you cannot connect a HRM directly to Strava, according to a Heart Rate Insight page that is part of the new Analysis page on the app. IMHO Strava has made this change to move the liability to the HRM manufacturers by only importing data from the Manufacturers app.

I also tried pairing the HRM to Blevo and transfering the data to Strava and same problem as with Mission Control...heart rate visible on Blevo but no HR data when synced to Strava. Personally Strava has become useless to me since they made the changes towards monetizing all accounts. Having to run multiple apps for heart rate, power meter, ride statistics/mapping and then having to sync the data into another app, Strava, is ridiculous! Hope somebody comes out with a new app that makes it easy again.....

Swiss_Rider

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
I tried today OH1 with Blevo in a short 1h ride. It works quite well (unlike the Apple Watch, theoretically supported by Blevo but only if another fitness app is running at all times and recording HR on the watch. Plus Blevo loses HR input often when paired to the AW).
Combined with Blevo smart power, it provides a good experience.

I checked the OH1 HR measurements against another good app on the AW (called “HeartWatch”) and the readings were consistent.

I then use Blevo to upload to Strava (here too Blevo failed to upload to Strava on few instances) and under the Strava “heart rate“ Dashboard section in can see the % of time spent in each HR zone. I have a premium subscription to Strava. But I don’t know Strava we’ll enough so I ignore if I am missing something when uploading from Blevo (e.g. no segments, or what else? what are the limitations of Strava used this way?) also average “cadence“ reported in the Strava summary of the ride is different from the one in the Blevo detailed stats...

i haven’t yet tried with MC But I will soon and report back.

this article explains well what happened in Oct 2019 with Strava and sensor support
Strava - rainmaker

I purchased the OH1 for use with MC/Blevo and Strava. I have been able to get a live HR on MC but none of the data will transfer to Strava nor is there any history available. It doesn't work with Strava either. You have to use Polar's Beat app and sync the ride data from there to Strava which doesn't work well either. My last hope is that it will work with Blevo. It is listed as a compatible HRM in the documentation so we'll see. I think the Wahoo tickr fit would be a better match to MC and Strava as it can connect directly with Strava and hopefully MC as well.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
I don't think Strava is the problem here. The .fit file created by Mission Control (that it uploads to Strava) used to have valid heart rate data, and doesn’t anymore. It started with the last update of the Mission Control app.
I tried again this weekend - problem is still there. @Specialized Rider Care

Sorry for the late reply on this one. We're working on it.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona

thanks for your help.
I use Polar H10 with BLEvo app. Then I have BLEvo upload to Strava after my ride. I quit using mission control because BLEvo is so much better

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Oh, so happy there are more people seeing this issue!

I thought I was going to go crazy by unpairing, pairing and testing. I have a Viiiva HR belt. I started another thread before I read this thread (Mission Control heart rate data to Strava
).

As has been suggested I too think it stopped transferring to Strava (and perhaps stopped registering along with ride data in Mission Control) when the app was last updated (new feature was naming your bike).

I too have tickets at both [mention]Specialized Rider Care [/mention] and Strava Support but no response for weeks.

It was one of the features of my Levo Comp 2020 I was most looking forward to (that and actual rider power measurements). So I really hope Specialized can push a quick fix out for this.

Swiss_Rider

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
totally.
Several manufacturers (incl. Specialized) don’t bother getting good developers, decent capacity or both and that’s the outcome. a simple UI on an otherwise bleak MC app (check their ratings on apple and google stores - a shame) No integration with Apple Watch, bugs in Strava upload features, no documentation for some new MC features...

Have you tried Blevo while you wait (...a long wait) for Specialized to try and fix it?

Blevo is visually scary but at least it works (at least with some HR sensors) and most of the time uploads the HR data to Strava successfully.

Oh, so happy there are more people seeing this issue!

I thought I was going to go crazy by unpairing, pairing and testing. I have a Viiiva HR belt. I started another thread before I read this thread (Mission Control heart rate data to Strava
).

As has been suggested I too think it stopped transferring to Strava (and perhaps stopped registering along with ride data in Mission Control) when the app was last updated (new feature was naming your bike).

I too have tickets at both [mention]Specialized Rider Care [/mention] and Strava Support but no response for weeks.

It was one of the features of my Levo Comp 2020 I was most looking forward to (that and actual rider power measurements). So I really hope Specialized can push a quick fix out for this.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I dont think Blevo is scary but I dont need to use my phone as a display for all those different data points. I commend the Bluetooth engineering effort behind Blevo, but I also think Blevo looks like crap. But that’s beside the point. MC (when working again) fulfils all my needs from a bike app which goes in my pocket. I prefer to help make the original bike app better.

(Neither of the apps have an Apple Watch app which would be a step forward).

Swiss_Rider

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
I agree that Blevo s UI is very bad. As far as I understand it s a one developer s effort - mostly a hobby. He is not a designer.
Blevo in theory does support the Apple Watch (there s a setting in one of the menus) but it seems to require another HR tracking watch app to be running at all times - guess a Health Kit workaround has been used (not a real integration with the Apple Watch) = in practice Blevo does not support the Apple Watch (broken connections, wrong data points, etc)

I’d like to use MC too. It has a decent design but no apple watch, no strava, no proper release documentation. Maybe Specialized will improve it (or maybe not , apps from Porsche , Mercedes , etc have been awful for years..)

I dont think Blevo is scary but I dont need to use my phone as a display for all those different data points. I commend the Bluetooth engineering effort behind Blevo, but I also think Blevo looks like crap. But that’s beside the point. MC (when working again) fulfils all my needs from a bike app which goes in my pocket. I prefer to help make the original bike app better.

(Neither of the apps have an Apple Watch app which would be a step forward).

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Did today’s Mission Control update (2.3.1) address the missing HR data to Strava/file, [mention]Specialized Rider Care [/mention] ?

EDIT: No. No, it didn’t...

Last edited:

Swiss_Rider

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
They did not even publish a change log ?. The only known feature is the option to update display firmware OTA for “some bikes” (but they did not bother making a list). So good luck on waiting for the Strava fix :)))

Did today’s Mission Control update (2.3.1) address the missing HR data to Strava/file, [mention]Specialized Rider Care [/mention] ?

EDIT: No. No, it didn’t...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles