Mission Control, Apple Watch, Strava, Blevo ??‍♂️

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Good evening all. I’m hoping to get my Levo comp fairly soon and I’m just trying to figure out the best way to link all this stuff up, what apps to use etc. I would like to log my rides to Strava and I want to use the heart rate sensor on my Series 4 Apple watch to track my heart rate. The Strava watch app does indeed do that if you start the ride from the watch rather than the phone but what if I want to use Mission Control so that I can adjust the bike settings.

Do I just not track my rides in Mission Control? Or am I better off using that rather than Strava? If I use Mission Control then I presume I’ll lose my heart rate data?

Or do I just use the Apple ride workout. I’m so confused about the best way to set all this stuff up so if anyone else is using a similar setup I’d appreciate a head’s up on what you found worked best.

Cheers in advance!

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Good evening all. I’m hoping to get my Levo comp fairly soon and I’m just trying to figure out the best way to link all this stuff up, what apps to use etc. I would like to log my rides to Strava and I want to use the heart rate sensor on my Series 4 Apple watch to track my heart rate. The Strava watch app does indeed do that if you start the ride from the watch rather than the phone but what if I want to use Mission Control so that I can adjust the bike settings.

Do I just not track my rides in Mission Control? Or am I better off using that rather than Strava? If I use Mission Control then I presume I’ll lose my heart rate data?

Or do I just use the Apple ride workout. I’m so confused about the best way to set all this stuff up so if anyone else is using a similar setup I’d appreciate a head’s up on what you found worked best.

Cheers in advance!

If I would be you, I would use BLEvo in combination with Apple watch HR and Strava. Upload to Strava is very easy via BLEvo.

Personally I use BLEvo android version on BV6000, BLEvo o_synce remote (very handy!) and Strava.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks Maastricht, I will probably buy Blevo when I get my bike for the HR smart mode but it’d be good to try out the Mission Control app first, even if it’s just for the more refined interface. If I can’t achieve what I want to though I’ll get Blevo

Lukelw

Jul 12, 2019
Buckinghamshire
Im in the same boat! ive just picked up my new kenevo comp and would like to monitor my HR, calories but also be able to check the bikes battery percentage on the go via a smartwatch or fitness watch. I read somewhere that the bike can connect to a watch but can't seem to find the article now.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
What I do:
-I use Mission Control for tuning-setup only
-I use a Garmin Edge 1030 and a heart-strap for monitoring and recording my rides, which can automatically be uploaded to Strava

(on the picture the power-gauge was disabled because my TCU firmware was not up-to-date and power-readings were way too high)

B2114FF6-C67E-44C8-8D81-AFD01B3F29F8.jpeg

Last edited:

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I only use mission control for tuning, strava for tracking. It's rare I change the bike settings.

People get too hung up on apps, just go ride your bike.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
With BLEvo you can use Smart HR where BLEvo will control the motor assistance to keep your heart rate at a set target. Also you can use Smart Power where you set training biker power where BLEvo will adjust motor assistance to keep your average leg power at a set target. I use both together.

And you can use BLEvo for navigation using maps downloaded and stored on your phone so you don't use mobile data on your ride.

Review: BLEvo, the best thing for your Levo and Kenevo

BLEvo tracks each ride after which you can save it; then at any time later you can review all statistical data, open map of the ride, create graph of the ride, share data (statistics, CSV, TCX, GPX) or upload to Strava. You can also save the route you took to reuse for future navigation to repeat exact ride at a later date.

Many of us have purchased a rugged smartphone with a long battery life to keep the screen back light on for the entire ride (eg. BV5500 or BV6000). This is a much cheaper "Bike Computer" option than Garmin plus you have a mobile phone for communication (if needed).
See: How to attach a Quad Lock universal adaptor to BV6000(S)

Lukelw

Jul 12, 2019
Buckinghamshire
0CE7717E-76EB-4857-85A7-CEAD4664919E.png

This app will work with almost any Garmin smart watch (I believe it needs to have Bluetooth)sinking together with the bike giving you battery data and stats on your ride

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks, I don't own a Garmin so planning on using my Apple watch/iPhone. Stupidly I did buy a frame mount bag to keep it in without even thinking that it would cover the control unit on the Levo (n)

Lukelw

Jul 12, 2019
Buckinghamshire
Thanks, I don't own a Garmin so planning on using my Apple watch/iPhone. Stupidly I did buy a frame mount bag to keep it in without even thinking that it would cover the control unit on the Levo (n)

Let me know how you get on with the Apple Watch.. you may be able to download a watch friendly version of the specialized app for the I watch

I’m thinking about going for a Garmin fenix 5

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
Here's what I do:
- I have a garmin 520 plus with the ebike datafield and an Apple watch series 4.
- I only use Mission Control to adjust the tune once a month, if that.
- When I start a ride I start an "outdoor ride" on the watch for a heart rate log, and I start the ride on the garmin that uploads to strava at the end of the ride.
My heartrate data never ends up on strava, but I don't care, as long as the watch/phone logs it.
I have Blevo too, but I've actually never used it on a ride because it will not pair with the bike while the garmin is paired.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Here's what I do:
- I have a garmin 520 plus with the ebike datafield and an Apple watch series 4.
- I only use Mission Control to adjust the tune once a month, if that.
- When I start a ride I start an "outdoor ride" on the watch for a heart rate log, and I start the ride on the garmin that uploads to strava at the end of the ride.
My heartrate data never ends up on strava, but I don't care, as long as the watch/phone logs it.
I have Blevo too, but I've actually never used it on a ride because it will not pair with the bike while the garmin is paired.
Cheers, is there any reason you don’t use the Strava app on the watch and record directly from there? Or is it because the Garmin logs the bike data too? Starting to think Blevo might be the simplest road forward rather than scattering data everywhere. I’m unlikely to want my phone on my bars unless I’m commuting though so it would be good if Blevo had an Apple Watch companion app where you could check data/start stop rides etc. @PaoloBLEvo - are there any plans for this functionality in the works?

Cheers

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Cheers, is there any reason you don’t use the Strava app on the watch and record directly from there? Or is it because the Garmin logs the bike data too? Starting to think Blevo might be the simplest road forward rather than scattering data everywhere. I’m unlikely to want my phone on my bars unless I’m commuting though so it would be good if Blevo had an Apple Watch companion app where you could check data/start stop rides etc. @PaoloBLEvo - are there any plans for this functionality in the works?

Cheers
Sorry but App for Smart Watch is not planned.. it is a good optional but to start to develop with a new environment is not so easy.. sorry..

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA

Cheers
Yes, Once the ride is finished, all the ride/bike data get uploaded to Strava directly from the GPS.

Flyfish

Jul 14, 2019
George, South Africa
I have had a LEVO since 2017 and use Mission Control, Apple Watch series 3, I-Phone 7 to record everything I need, including auto upload to Strava. Keep it simple en enjoy the ride!

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
Ihaving has issues with BLevo dropping the connection during the ride, I use Strava, mission control and Cyclemeter. The latter is super-stable and tracks everything -HR, route, speed and even the weather. Deffo worth a look.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks for all the ideas, I’m just patiently* waiting for my GCI voucher so I can go and get my bike. Plenty to think about though.

*this might be a lie.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Ihaving has issues with BLevo dropping the connection during the ride, I use Strava, mission control and Cyclemeter. The latter is super-stable and tracks everything -HR, route, speed and even the weather. Deffo worth a look.

First see if you have Battery Saver in Battery Settings (possibly BT settings?) enabled & switch it off. If not then try deleting all Bluetooth profiles.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Do you mean, connection with the bike? Android or iOS?

Ron

Patreon
Sep 27, 2018
Campbell, CA USA

Cheers in advance!
I started with just Mission Control for my app. But later added BLEvo and run both simultaneously along with my Apple Watch to track my daily activity. BLEvo can use the Apple Watch heart rate monitor but to get it to work well I had to tighten the band and found that uncomfortable- solution buy a cheap heart rate chest band which seems to work well. I’m tracking my rides in Mission Control but recently downloaded Strava to check the integration with BLEvo. It is a lot to start up at the beginning of a ride MC BLEvo, and watch- Wouldn’t it be great if one app just did it all. I guess the BLEvo-Strava pairing may be the final solution for me

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Hello Paolo - IOS on iPhone X. Seems to drop whenever the phone screen locks. Tried reinstalling but same issue... any ideas welcome. ?
Which iOS version are you using? Is the background functionality activate for BLEvo?

Sly

May 15, 2019
Lisbon - Portugal
What I do:
-I use Mission Control for tuning-setup only
-I use a Garmin Edge 1030 and a heart-strap for monitoring and recording my rides, which can automatically be uploaded to Strava

(on the picture the power-gauge was disabled because my TCU firmware was not up-to-date and power-readings were way too high)

View attachment 16048
Hi McInner1, where did you get the above app for Garmin 1030? on IQ Store?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles