miranda cranks for cali levo - laugh now cry later

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
so... super stoked to get a pair of 160mm cranks from miranda for my 2017 levo. they pedal great and no pedal strikes. thanks to berkshire cycles for shipping them to me in california!

but... sad because yesterday, the bolt backed out and my crank fell off! made it home ok, but just looked on miranda site and the bolts are self-extractors and cost 25$ i'm guessing by the time they get here that will be closer to 50 bucks for that bolt! 70$ cranks plus 25$ to ship plus another 50$ now and i'll be at 150$ for this upgrade.

i sure do wish more companies would jump into this market. oh well, maybe i should just buy some 155mms from berkshire to get the bolts and then i'll have another set of cranks to try... fifty bucks for one bolt or 100 for cranks? maybe i can sell one pair?

electric mountain biking is not cheap, even when you think it is!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Praxis original bolts only fit the Praxis cranks.

Don't feel bad .. I did the same with my e8000 miranda ones and then my unicycle kenevo ones :)

I think the secret is to install, short ride .. tighten again ! Especially the left one as pedalling unwinds them.

These were the bolts I bought, not sure if they look like they'll fit or not :

Self-Extracting Splined Crank Bolts Pair M15 - Black or Red (Pack of 2) | eBay

I'd advise buying 2 sets as if you do the same again, as I did and lose a part (I lost a black outer) you need to buy more and the postage costs more than the bolts.

To tighten the outer you can use needle nose pliers, though I found circlip pliers worked better if you happen to have any lying around ....

Tried a crap photo with a tape measure .. I'm sure the inner part will fit as it has to attach to the same crank. The black outer part is a bit like a cover really ..

bolts.jpg

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
The Praxis original bolts only fit the Praxis cranks.

Don't feel bad .. I did the same with my e8000 miranda ones and then my unicycle kenevo ones :)

I think the secret is to install, short ride .. tighten again ! Especially the left one as pedalling unwinds them.

These were the bolts I bought, not sure if they look like they'll fit or not :

Self-Extracting Splined Crank Bolts Pair M15 - Black or Red (Pack of 2) | eBay

I'd advise buying 2 sets as if you do the same again, as I did and lose a part (I lost a black outer) you need to buy more and the postage costs more than the bolts.

To tighten the outer you can use needle nose pliers, though I found circlip pliers worked better if you happen to have any lying around ....

Tried a crap photo with a tape measure .. I'm sure the inner part will fit as it has to attach to the same crank. The black outer part is a bit like a cover really ..

View attachment 19303
thank you @Zimmerframe ! miranda does label their bolts as 'm15' s so that is a good sign.
i'll check those out. and i do have some circlip pliers laying around. i will definitely be checking my crankbolts for a while now after this! i usually read that people grease up their pedal and crank threads. does anybody use blue loktite?

Hbmtr

May 6, 2019
N.CA. USA
thank you @Zimmerframe ! miranda does label their bolts as 'm15' s so that is a good sign.
i'll check those out. and i do have some circlip pliers laying around. i will definitely be checking my crankbolts for a while now after this! i usually read that people grease up their pedal and crank threads. does anybody use blue loktite?
Blue loctite is your friend ?

sisuman

Aug 11, 2019
Vermont USA
When I received my cranks from Berkshire they included some non -extracting bolts which work fine.
I purchased a park tool cp-44 crank puller for $15.00 so I don't have to use the more expensive bolts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles