Mileage to battery consumption 2019 Kenevo

horn-E

Aug 26, 2018
Crawley
Hey guys, first post for me but been a bit of a lerker on this forum for a while.

I am one happy owner of a 2019 Kenevo expert, but i am struggling to get anymore then 15 miles from a full charge with even just using eco and trail modes, the riding isnt technical or steep climbs, for example i did 11.7 miles yesterday with only 25% battery left with using trail mode (50% support and 50% power) or eco (30% support and 35% peak power) with 1345ft of climbing.

Any suggestions to what i could do to increase the mpg as such, how does smart control work are people using this mode to get that milage up, or setting advise?

Thanks Ben

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hey guys, first post for me but been a bit of a lerker on this forum for a while.

I am one happy owner of a 2019 Kenevo expert, but i am struggling to get anymore then 15 miles from a full charge with even just using eco and trail modes, the riding isnt technical or steep climbs, for example i did 11.7 miles yesterday with only 25% battery left with using trail mode (50% support and 50% power) or eco (30% support and 35% peak power) with 1345ft of climbing.

Any suggestions to what i could do to increase the mpg as such, how does smart control work are people using this mode to get that milage up, or setting advise?

Thanks Ben
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum :)

Hmmm that doesn't sound right. Mind if I ask your rough weight? That can have a big impact on range. You should be getting a bit more than that really.

Thanks,
Rob.

horn-E

Aug 26, 2018
Crawley
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum :)

Hmmm that doesn't sound right. Mind if I ask your rough weight? That can have a big impact on range. You should be getting a bit more than that really.

Thanks,
Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply, i weigh 93kg. I have a few friends who are heavier then me by quite a bit and constantly see 20 mile rides with it on turbo, so im not sure on what im doing wrong or if there could be a fault with the battery or motor, on mission control it shows me that the motor is 100% healthy. Kind of gutting really as my rides are having to be cut short after 2/3 hours of riding

Cheers ben

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply, i weigh 93kg. I have a few friends who are heavier then me by quite a bit and constantly see 20 mile rides with it on turbo, so im not sure on what im doing wrong or if there could be a fault with the battery or motor, on mission control it shows me that the motor is 100% healthy. Kind of gutting really as my rides are having to be cut short after 2/3 hours of riding

Cheers ben
Ok, thanks. Do you know what the firmware version of battery and motor is? You can tell in mission control. Where did you get the bike from?

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Doesn't sound right to me either. I also have a 2019 Expert and have just got 3 rides out of my battery totalling 40+ miles with 20% battery left. My settings are eco 15/90 trail 55/90 and turbo 100/90. I ride mostly in eco with just occasional use of trail/turbo for steep long stuff or fun :)

mymodel6

Oct 2, 2018
Hertfordshire
Yeah there's something amiss there i think, you're a bit heavier than me but i get over 30 miles out of mine, an extra 8kg shouldn't make such a difference.

Give the Specialized UK help centre a call first: 020 8391 3500

If they can't help diagnose the problem they should at least be able to give you a way to officially document it so that Leisure Lakes can't argue.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I know the Kenevo is a bit of tank but I would agree that doesnt sound right I would start with:
1 Make sure the wheels spin freely and that the brakes are not dragging
2 Check your speed sensor is with range for the spoke magnet - you might be running in limp mode? ( this is how mine came from Rutland Cycling)

horn-E

Aug 26, 2018
Crawley
Wo
I know the Kenevo is a bit of tank but I would agree that doesnt sound right I would start with:
2 Check your speed sensor is with range for the spoke magnet - you might be running in limp mode? ( this is how mine came from Rutland Cycling)

Thanks for your input. Would that still allow trail/turbo to be activated tho?

Thanks

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Wo

Thanks for your input. Would that still allow trail/turbo to be activated tho?

Thanks
Well to test its working ok set it to turbo and the middle gear and on the flat you should be able to accelrate to 16mph in like 5 seconds - if not then something is up but I would start with the speed sensor and the magnet to make sure they are lined up correctly

horn-E

Aug 26, 2018
Crawley
I have spoken to customer care and looks like i need to play around with my settings a bit more as currently even tho they are low medium and high, the power needs to be a tad higher and the support lower so the motor can actually cut when im putting more effort into pedaling rather then me relying on the motor to support me the whole way. If that makes sense. Basicly my settings didnt give the motor a breather, it was always in use. Il have a change with them and report back. Ideally 20/25 miles for me would be perfect out of a fully charged battery. So fingers crossed
Cheers for the help and input so far will let you know one ive had a play with it.

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hi. The stock settings that my bike shipped with seemed OK, 20 eco / 60 trail / 100 turbo (i think). I just wanted less assistance on eco so set it to simulate normal pedaling and lowered power to 90% to put less stress on the motor. Achieving really decent range now with my new settings. High cadence really helps also. Hope you get it sorted.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I have spoken to customer care and looks like i need to play around with my settings a bit more as currently even tho they are low medium and high, the power needs to be a tad higher and the support lower so the motor can actually cut when im putting more effort into pedaling rather then me relying on the motor to support me the whole way. If that makes sense. Basicly my settings didnt give the motor a breather, it was always in use. Il have a change with them and report back. Ideally 20/25 miles for me would be perfect out of a fully charged battery. So fingers crossed
Cheers for the help and input so far will let you know one ive had a play with it.
Yes and you need to put in the same effort for a non e bike andin terms of gear and high cadence - then the bike will propel you along like a super man

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
on the levo/ kenevo the magnet is bolted to the disc using two of the disc retaining bolts, the speed sensor is embeded in the chainstay, its pretty hard to get them misaligned

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i dont understand that on the old firmware the peak power matched the support, for instance if you set trail to 70% peak power would be set at 70% and it worked fine but the new firmware is much more flexible.
personally I have mine set at
eco 30/50
trail 60/80
turbo 100/100
im 110kg and with careful use of the different modes I get about 40 miles to 10% battery

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Guess I'm using the old firmware then as peak power has to be set at the same level for each of the support modes. If that's the case, not sure I'll bother to update it as getting really good battery life.

One thing Ive have found very useful is that I have installed a garmin data screen on my watch that one of the other clever forum members created (apols can't remember his forum name!). Anyway, it shows live battery usage in 1% increments. You really get to see how different modes affect battery drain!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
The motor will not run at all with no magnet you get half a pedal stroke then it stops

horn-E

Aug 26, 2018
Crawley
Update ..... eco - 30/50pp trail 50/70pp turbo 90/90pp

1700ft climbing 12.9 mile ride on eco left me with 33% prob put in trail once or twice

Thinking something is wrong now as surely should be getting better then this?

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hi. My ride yesterday was 22 miles with 1,200 feet of climbing. Mostly done in eco (15/90) though did ride a trail through a plowed field so used trail/turbo there as it was tough.plus I used trail on various other short sections of climb. I had 55% battery left at end of the ride. Your usage does seem high to me. Do you use a higher cadence when pedaling? It definitely helps all round.

travo

Nov 2, 2018
bracknell
Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this? My recently bought kenevo is doing the same, can't get more than 12-14 miles out of the battery, no matter what settings I use, Guessing it's the motor that's the culprit as I've just had a new battery from the dealer and that's made no difference.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
In this link from specialized you can see the expected range. For me it works

Raider height, weight, road type (flat, uphill) stops speed, etc. Affect the end result

Turbo Calculator App | Specialized.com
I use BLevo for my motor setup. I use 20/40/60 with %15 acceleration and can get pretty much 60 miles from a charge on the 504wh Levo. Hopefully the people in here got there range issues sorted. Defo on the shorter side!

travo

Nov 2, 2018
bracknell
Just as a follow up to this, I had a new motor fitted and that solved it, now get around 25+ miles on my normal rides and sticking to eco on levelish ground could probably manage 45+ miles without too much hassle.

I did also change to a lighter wheelset, saved 350 grams on the rear wheel and 300 on the front, that also seems to have helped a fair bit.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Just as a follow up to this, I had a new motor fitted and that solved it, now get around 25+ miles on my normal rides and sticking to eco on levelish ground could probably manage 45+ miles without too much hassle.

I did also change to a lighter wheelset, saved 350 grams on the rear wheel and 300 on the front, that also seems to have helped a fair bit.
Good to hear mate. Glad you managed to get that sorted! ☺

dixie

Apr 16, 2019
isle of wight
my new 2019 expert arrived yesterday i did
1.3 km lost 13% battery in turbo this was on paved rd just having a wee test ride round my house,,,, my bosch would do 5 x this much

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles