Michelin E-Wild 2.8 or 2.6 on new YT Decoy Elite?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Currently riding 2.6 Schwalbe Eddy Current's (front & back) on my 2021 Specialized Turbo Levo S-Works. Think they are much better then the stock tires.

Pulled the Trigger on a YT Decoy Elite and while waiting to arrive, purchasing some components I want to upgrade.

On a regular clockwork bike, the the stock Maxxis that come on the Elite would be fine. Actually running Maxxis DHF 2.5 and DHRll's on my Canyon Torque and think they are the bomb!

Want to switch out stock Decoy tires with emtb specific tires and after much research, decided to go with the Michelin E-Wilds. Debating whether I go with 2.8 or 2.6 on rear 27.5" wheel?

YT went with Crankbothers wheelset that have a different internal rim widths on front and back (front=31.5mm/rear=35mm) and stock tire is 2.8." The rear 35mm rim width could definitely handle it and thinking YT spec'ed the 2.8's to beef up the sidewalls.

My thoughts are 2.6 on rear would be more agile, not worried about rolling resistance or which is better climbing tire since I have my Levo for rides of this nature and am spec'ing Decoy more for gravity/dh rides.

Thoughts from anyone riding the Decoy, other mullet configuration brands or running Michelin E-Wild's would much be appreciated!

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
"My thoughts are 2.6 on rear would be more agile, not worried about rolling resistance or which is better climbing tire since I have my Levo for rides of this nature and am spec'ing Decoy more for gravity/dh rides. "

Yes, that sums it up nicely. You have a good handle on the situation.

The 2.6 size works very well on the Decoy. 2.8 tires on my Decoy make the bike feel very sluggish going side to side on the knobs through corners. I've run the 2.6 e-wild and like it. Currently I'm running Eddy Current Front/2.6 Kenda Hellkat rear - when the rear wears out (which will be soon because the rubber is soft and not long-lasting), I have another 2.6 e-wild waiting.

Last edited:

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the feedback! Seems like 35mm rim widths should be a good match for a 2.6 tire and allow it to have a profile that doesn't "square" off the tire too much. Was concerned 2.8's would be sluggish and your input confirms my suspicion. Happy Trails!

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
One of these days I will try this 2.6 fun, but I don't know how the bike will handle in the high geo positon. I like the low. Easy to manual, jumping, and just ripping through a rocky line going straight and letting off the brakes.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
One of these days I will try this 2.6 fun, but I don't know how the bike will handle in the high geo positon. I like the low. Easy to manual, jumping, and just ripping through a rocky line going straight and letting off the brakes.

I only ride low. Always. Plenty of rocks here in the Colorado Rockies don't pose a problem. Pedal strikes are a matter of timing.
Mullet Decoy, fork at 170, rear tire 2.6. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
It depends what trails you ride. I almost never ride DH trails on the Decoy. Mostly trails that are also hiking trails. I find that the traction the 2.8 rear tire give is amazing on very loose uphill/down hill stuff. Really fast cornering on smooth trails with berms are not the best place for 2.8 tires i.m.o. But I might try a Michelin E-wild 2.6 tire on the rear to see the difference.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
I'm on my second e-wild 2.8" rear and I really like it. Not worried about rolling resistance
but I like a meaty gripping tire out back for the loose stuff we have in my area. Also the
big tire hasn't gotten one puncture yet! I do ride in the high as the low didn't ride any
different to me and the pedal strikes were a bit more. Tires only last so long so no reason
to not try different sizes if you want.

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Where are you guys getting the ewilds and/or eddy currents from here in the US? I've been scouring online bike shops and can't find them in stock anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Competitive cyclist only has rear Michilen...no 29s for front. Found Schwalbe fronts but no rears. Even slim pickings on Maxxis tires. WTF!

Guess I'm going to have to run the stock Maxxis tires with CushCore and hope for the best

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
For unclear reasons, Michelin is only selling 27.5 e-wild in the US. You'd have to check non-US vendors for the 29 version.

QBP (largest wholesaler of bike parts in US) shows Eddy Currents in all sizes delivering late October-late November, so any bike shop "should "be able to get it for you then

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Merlin Cycles in the UK has 29 x 2.6 front ewilds in stock. $45 + $27 shipping. Same price for the 2.8 rear. Just ordered both.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Where are you guys getting the ewilds and/or eddy currents from here in the US? I've been scouring online bike shops and can't find them in stock anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Have ordered from Chain Reaction and Bike24 recently. Amazon and Ebay as well. Been stocking up on them!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Have some miles on my new Decoy Elite after having to wait 3 weeks from receiving (rained one weekend, waited to get upgraded components installed along with RideWrap & an unexpected lower back injury). Very impressed with how well Michelin E-Wild's roll. This bikes handles like a dream and was born for downhill shredding. Not the best climbing tires, but I didn't build this bike for its uphill prowess (thats why I have my Levo S-Works). Have the privilege of riding all different brands and models over the years and have high praise for E-Wild's. Think I made the right choice by going with the 2.6's on the front and rear based upon the trails I intend to ride with this beast. 1st time using Cushcore and still determining how they impact the ride quality. Will post follow ups after I try more types of trail conditions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles