Meta Power vs Merida 900e

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
I've narrowed my focus down to these two. The Commencal would be cheaper by $1k and easier to get (I'm in the US) but have been reading great things about the Merida. The new turbo levo is in the running but equally equipped is over $8k. Still doable.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Go with the Meta and be done with it. The new Levo looks good but it's overhyped and expensive. The new integrated battery sucks if you want/need to charge it by removing it. Also, if you want to carry a spare battery for longer rides it is almost impossible while the Shimano external battery is light and it can fit in any backpack.

D1-1033.jpg

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
I was also looking at the Merida before I bought my Meta Power, but I don't regret going for the Commençal. The geometry is important and the slacker head tube angle of the Meta makes a huge difference. I also prefer suspension systems where the shock compresses linearly with the seat stays against typical 4-bar systems like Merida's. That and the difference in price did it for me.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I also prefer suspension systems where the shock compresses linearly with the seat stays
Sorry to break this to you but it doesn't compress the shock linearly at all. it's progressive from start to end throughout it's entire shock compression.
A horst link 4-bar design like the merida could be designed with the same leverage curve.
The Merida is regressive in the first 10-15mm of travel then similarly progressive to the Meta for the rest of it's travel.

Personally I wouldn't overlook the suspension/braking characteristics a horst link can provide.

The Commie does have better geometry for descending tho.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
AFAIK Merida does not have US sales or support. I have positive experiences working with Commencal reps based in the states.

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
Sorry to break this to you but it doesn't compress the shock linearly at all.
I meant to say that the shock compresses in the same direction of the seat stay movement. I didn't mean to say that the compression was linear. Anyway, I've had several 4-bar bikes in the past and I prefer Commençal's suspension design, but what I meant to say was that geometry plays an important role and one shouldn't choose a bike based solely on it's components.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I guess you meant the horizontal vs vertical shock mount. By itself, it doesn't have an effect on the suspension performance you can see manufacturers using it regardless of other aspects of the linkage design. Specialized has the horst link with horizontal shock mount, Canyon just switched to horizontal on their new bikes while Scott did it the other way around and changed from horizontal to vertical. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles