Meta Power sizing

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
I'm about to pull the plug on a Meta Power, but suddenly I'm having doubts about size.
I'm 5'11'' (180cm) and I currently ride a Meta AM V4 in size L so I naturally thought of going for the L in the Meta Power. Then I looked at the geometries and the reach of my AM V4 (448mm) lies just about in the middle of the reaches of the Meta Power M and L (435 and 458mm). ). It got me thinking that I'm either downsizing or upsizing, so it might be more fun to downsize. What would you guys recommend?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What length stem do you run on your AM V4?

If it helps I'm the same height as you and was going to order a medium if the Commie had been avaialble in black at the time. (eventully found a bike more suited to my riding though). I've always ridden slightly shorter bikes than most other riders of my height.

Last edited:

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
My current stem is the Alpha 50mm. It's basically the same that comes on the Meta Power. Do you mean that I can basically choose the frame size that suits my preference and then adjust the reach through a longer or shorter stem?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. i was just wondering really. but if you had run a 35mm on your AM the reach to your bars would be closer on the M MetaPower.
I'd personally pick the M and stay with a stem in the 50-35mm length range. For me this is because I find picking up a shorter Ebike is a lot easier than a long one. This is true of normal bikes too but the extra 15-17lb weight, even with it being down low and central, of an Ebike adds to it.
By picking up I don't mean carrying, I mean amything that involves at least one wheel leaving the ground while riding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Mine is just one opinion. You'll know better yourself if shorter is for you.

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
I'm 5'10" and i went for the L (Meta Power 27) and it does not feel big at all, it feels just right. It absolutely rips downhill, fine over the few jumps I've done, fine in the twisty bits in the woods, can loft the front wheel with big shift of weight, fine over drops etc.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Iam 5’ 8 and ride a medium in all my bikes . The meta certainly doesn’t feel big to me , I had always considered the height cut off for medium at 5 10 . I know all our preferences vary , most riders I know tend to go to the larger size if in doubt But as Gary says it’s only an opinion and preference .
Where are you , is there anyone nearby who has one you could try ,

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
I'm in Portugal and I very much doubt that anyone here has a Meta Power to let me try. Most ebikes I've seen here are Mondraker, Cube, Specialized or Scott.

My doubts come from riding the Meta AM V4 in size L. It feels just right for me, so I was going for the Meta Power in size L, but looking at the reach numbers of the Meta Power, it got me wondering. Anyone have any idea if there is any difference in weight between a size L and a size M?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I'm in Portugal and I very much doubt that anyone here has a Meta Power to let me try. Most ebikes I've seen here are Mondraker, Cube, Specialized or Scott.

My doubts come from riding the Meta AM V4 in size L. It feels just right for me, so I was going for the Meta Power in size L, but looking at the reach numbers of the Meta Power, it got me wondering. Anyone have any idea if there is any difference in weight between a size L and a size M?
Wouldnt think the wieght difference between sizes is much at all
, excuse my geographical ignorance but would it not be worth traveling to Andorra to try and buy the bike , I think they give a 10% discount for direct sales and I know they have test /hire bikes , the discount would cover the cost I guess , it’s just finding time ?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Go large, if the reach is too much, go for a 40mm stem.

You won't notice a weight difference between a M and L.

At 6'1", I was on the fence between L and XL due to the seat tube length. I got lucky that I fit with the 150mm dropper. Now the XL comes with a 175, which would not work for me.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
My wife and I are both about 5'10" and test rode the medium and the large. My wife has long legs (34") so it's hard to get a good fit for her. We both liked the medium better because it felt snappier. The 125mm dropper post that comes with the medium was too short for her, and maybe too short for me too. We bought a medium, a 150mm dropper and are experimenting with stems to get a good fit for her. I think we will be able to get the medium to fit both of us with the right stem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles