Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hey Rob

Thanks our very own area. :)

Can't wait to get my hands on this bike, only 40 days to go :rolleyes::(

Other than Kernow and myself anyone else pre-ordered one ?

If anyone needs it I have available, if not all, most technical information in PDF's for Shimano, Sram, and other products that are fitted as standard to the 2018 Race model.

Last edited:

ChrisP

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
East Yorkshire
Yep, I have two of these on order - one for the Mrs as well. But, you know that already Jap.........it was your fault!!

Certainly looking forward to the delivery.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Yep, I have two of these on order - one for the Mrs as well. But, you know that already Jap.........it was your fault!!

Certainly looking forward to the delivery.
:D Aeeee I thought we agreed it was Kernow's fault :rolleyes:

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Mine is an Essential - not much difference.
Few upgrades - E6000 assist switch instead of Di2, BikeYoke dropper remote, proper brakes as the Sram brakes' feel is not for me.

mtb-2003.jpg

mtb-2004.jpg
mtb-2005.jpg

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hey Tamas

Great pic's love your mods :cool: been looking at the E6000 switch myself as I love my 1x, still waiting for our bikes to land so no rush yet :mad:

As you are the only person we know who has one yet, I think you are going to get quite few questions thrown at you :) so I'll start

How long you had it?

Do you like it?

What is the motor like ?

Rear shock ?

Regards Jeff

Last edited:

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hey Tamas

Great pic's love your mods :cool: been looking at the E6000 switch myself as I love my 1x, still waiting for our bikes to land so no rush yet :mad:

As you are the only person we know who has one yet, I think you are going to get quite few questions thrown at you :) so I'll start

How long you had it?

Do you like it?

What is the motor like ?

Rear shock ?

Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I have it for a month and I rode it 200km. I love the bike it's awesome.
First I was thinking on ordering the Race model because the 8 speed EX1 was tempting but now I'm glad I went with the 11speed. I used to ride my wife's Lapierre with Yamaha and the power delivery is completely different from that one. The Yamaha has huge torque from the first pedal stroke but limited optimal cadence range (50-70rpm) and the big gear gaps would be good for that. The Shimano feels more natural (less powerful?) and the optimal cadence range is higher so I prefer the smaller steps of the 11 speed between the gears.
The replacement of the assist switch was really simple - just unplug the other from the display unit and plug this one in.
The rear shock is amazing but I will experiment with the spring because I'm on the upper weight limit of the factory installed 450 spring. I'm 82kg and getting 28% SAG with the max 5 turns on the preload but if I'll carry a backpack with a spare battery and camera equipment I will need the 500. I already have one but it's too cold outside and I didn't play with it yet.
I'm also waiting for the warmer weather to dial in the fork because it feels harsher than I'd like it.

Cheers,
Tamas

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hey Tamas

Thanks for the info, very interesting to hear your comments.
From what you say I'm glad I have ordered the 450 and 500 springs, by the sounds of it, I might need to diet a "tiny bit" for the 450 spring :LOL:

:eek: (I know my mates Kernow and ChrisP have both had to order 600 lbs springs, hope it's gonna be enough :ROFLMAO: )

There are four of us, all waiting for our new Race model bikes at the moment and none of us are quite sure how the 8 peed is going to work out, hoping for the best and planning for the worst, but we thought it would be worth a go! You have to try these things from time to time.

At the end of the day if we don't like it, the EX1 bits should sell for tidy sum and easily make enough to pay for an 11 speed XT setup :D

A couple of us have got spare batteries and are planning a few big days out on the moors with them, so much cheaper than Bosch, who want nearly £700.00 for a 500 wh, we got a great deal on the Shimano 500 wh at £435.00 :love:

Have you looked into Shimano specific tools yet ?

We have the PC Ei Pc interface for updates and for the fault finding, that you can't do on the app.

The only thing we are struggling with is the TL-FC 39, to remove the front chain ring ? its available but hoping to find a cheaper alternative when we find out the diameter of the locking ring ?

Jeff

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The fork should come with spare air tokens , I think they only come with one , adding another seems to help the fork work better , although they do seem to need a good bit of use to get run in .

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Have you looked into Shimano specific tools yet ?

We have the PC Ei Pc interface for updates and fault finding bits that you cant do on the app.

The only thing we are struggling with is the TL-FC 39, to remove the front chain ring ? its available but hoping to find a cheaper alternative when we find out the diameter of the locking ring ?

Jeff

I have the spider lock ring tool if you need dimensions.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
I have the spider lock ring tool if you need dimensions.

That would be great, thanks :)

A pic with a ruler across its face would be ace or internal external dimensions what ever is easiest for you.

Did you have to buy the original shimano tool or did you manage to find a cheaper alternative ?

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
I have a Shimano one. Bought it from Bike24 along with shorter cranks so cheaper than uk and quicker arrival!
Ecky you are the Man!

I was hoping you had found a cheaper option designed for something else that did the same job, but if it's Shimano only, then I will just order one from Bike 24
had it in my basket for a while, 40 Euro's I think.

Now when you say shorter cranks are we talking 165mm, as I can't find them anywhere although they were announced last year or the 170mm options?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Got them from Bike 24, the shortest available. I think you are right with 165mm, I wanted 160mm but they don’t seem to do them that short.
I nearly bought two left hand cranks until I remembered the pedal threads are not the same both sides!

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Got them from Bike 24, the shortest available. I think you are right with 165mm, I wanted 160mm but they don’t seem to do them that short.
I nearly bought two left hand cranks until I remembered the pedal threads are not the same both sides!

I would love 160 mm, I even contacted Miranda in Spain but so far heard nothing.........

As far as I know Shimano offer 170-175 mm option with a 165mm option announced late last year but I cant find them anywhere?

So am I missing something? This is all that I can find, these or the hollow tech versions but not in 165?

Bike24 - Online Shop - Cycling, Running, Swimming, Triathlon - Bike parts, Racing Cycles, Mountainbike (MTB), Bike Wear, Sportswear

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Tool has 16 teeth, 55mm outer dimension, 51.2mm across the inside of the teeth. Teeth are 3.8mm dia half round. There is a further recess 49.55mm across. Toothed section is 3mm deep, recess 5.85mm deep.
The other side is machined to suit a regular BSA BB tool or has slots for a pin spanner.
429A31FC-40AE-48FD-8E76-1BC54D5F46EA.jpeg
3302716A-1593-4C31-B830-6AAD7CBAE120.jpeg

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Tool has 16 teeth, 55mm outer dimension, 51.2mm across the inside of the teeth. Teeth are 3.8mm dia half round. There is a further recess 49.55mm across. Toothed section is 3mm deep, recess 5.85mm deep.
The other side is machined to suit a regular BSA BB tool or has slots for a pin spanner. View attachment 116 View attachment 117
Thank you, really appreciate your help!

Now I have the dimensions I will have a mooch around my LBS's and see what they might have :D

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I would love 160 mm, I even contacted Miranda in Spain but so far heard nothing.........

As far as I know Shimano offer 170-175 mm option with a 165mm option announced late last year but I cant find them anywhere?

So am I missing something? This is all that I can find, these or the hollow tech versions but not in 165?

Bike24 - Online Shop - Cycling, Running, Swimming, Triathlon - Bike parts, Racing Cycles, Mountainbike (MTB), Bike Wear, Sportswear
It was a long time ago so perhaps they were the 170mm. I will have to measure them. They were the hollowtechs though.
I thought the hope pedals I have on the ebike were pretty thin until I got hold of some OneUp alloy pedals for my regular bike, they are good for another 5mm increase in clearance so I think a set will end up on the ebike too.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Which ones? Nobby Niks my bike came on I only used once.
Maxxis Minions I rate highly.

If you trail ride, the Nobby Niks would be fine, the soft walls wrap round rocks nicely for climbing and give a plush ride.
I ride more gravity type stuff and need more support from the side walls for cornering and general abuse.

Horses for courses n all that......

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
is that not just an octolink bb tool? my levo has something very similar locking the front ring spider on and I just used the bb tool

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
is that not just an octolink bb tool? my levo has something very similar locking the front ring spider on and I just used the bb tool
I have a feeling it will be or something similar I allready have in my toolbox , will wait until I get the bike before buying any tools . ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles