Meta Power Fox DHX2 spring swap

notfub

Apr 20, 2019
South Wales
I've recently ordered a Large Meta Power 29 Essential Fox and it's supplied with a 500lb spring in the Fox DHX2 shock. As I weigh around approx 98kg's kitted up, I suspect the spring will need to be replaced with a 600lbs equivalent at some point. I've always ridden air shocks previously, so was after some advice on how to identify the correct spring for the job and where best to source them?

notfub

Apr 20, 2019
South Wales
Why don't you ask commencal first ?
I asked if they would swap the spring before purchase and they said, "Regarding the shock spring, we have no solution to swap it, because our bikes are based in a logistics platform, and we can not make any mechanical operation".

steve06

Feb 26, 2019
uk
im same weight as you..i ordered a 700 spring from TF Tuned...great company, I think a 600 Spring would be on the soft side for 97 KG

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
im same weight as you..i ordered a 700 spring from TF Tuned...great company, I think a 600 Spring would be on the soft side for 97 KG
I know that it’s not the same bike but I’m about 15 kg’s heavier than you and I do have a Levo wit a 700 lbs coil and it fits me perfectly. The leverage ratio on a 2018 Levo is around 2.7:1 and if yours are in the same ballpark I would say 700 lbs is too much.

Karsten

tedturbine

May 8, 2019
Worthing
I asked if they would swap the spring before purchase and they said, "Regarding the shock spring, we have no solution to swap it, because our bikes are based in a logistics platform, and we can not make any mechanical operation".

That's good to know, thanks.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I’m on a 2018 so the leverage ratio is a little higher than the 2019 29er. I’m running a 650lb spring a and tip the scales at 109kg. My riding style is one where I don’t leave the ground much and prefer plush traction over big hits.

notfub

Apr 20, 2019
South Wales
Just tried the TFTuned spring calculator with the following details;

Weight = 105kg's (extra kg's added for battery & motor as advised)
Shock Stroke = 55mm
Wheel Travel = 140mm (rear wheel travel from TECH tab on Commencal website for my bike)
Ride = Plush 33% sag
4 bar link design

Spring Poundage came out at
605lbs

Although it does state "These are theoretical recommendations and do not take into account personal preferences. Aggressive riders making frequent "big hits" may want a stiffer/higher poundage spring, whilst smoother riders may prefer a softer/lower poundage spring".

I don't ride big drops/hits so will get in touch with TFTuned for a final check before ordering.
Thanks all for the feedback and advice(y):)

Skrix

May 1, 2019
Denmark

Shock Stroke = 55mm
Wheel Travel = 140mm (rear wheel travel from TECH tab on Commencal website for my bike)
Ride = Plush 33% sag
4 bar link design

Spring Poundage came out at 605lbs

Although it does state "These are theoretical recommendations and do not take into account personal preferences. Aggressive riders making frequent "big hits" may want a stiffer/higher poundage spring, whilst smoother riders may prefer a softer/lower poundage spring".

I don't ride big drops/hits so will get in touch with TFTuned for a final check before ordering.

Isn't Meta linkage driven single pivot ? and not 4 bar

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao

Shock Stroke = 55mm
Ride = Plush 33% sag
4 bar link design

Spring Poundage came out at 605lbs

What coild did you buy? Maybe is Single Pivot and then you need 555Lbs

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles